Overnight walks for beginners that aren't the norm

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Overnight walks for beginners that aren't the norm

Postby phATty » Fri 12 Apr, 2024 11:21 am

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding beginner overnight walks that aren't typically visited with a 2-3 hour drive from Hobart.
I'm looking to take some beginners out on a two day walk next weekend but wouldn't mind checking out somewhere I haven't been already.

I know these are difficult criteria but was hoping someone would have some decent ideas maybe.

Cheers!
phATty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tasmanian University Bushwalking Club
Region: Tasmania

Re: Overnight walks for beginners that aren't the norm

Postby north-north-west » Fri 12 Apr, 2024 1:23 pm

The drive time is a major limitation. Packers Spur to the Thumbs, camping down on the plains, then out via Clear Hill is one of the few that comes to mind. Sprent would be too much for newbies and most of the other out-of-the-way options require a boat. Schnells, east along the ridge and down to the small plateau betwen the eastern moraine and Gallaghers? Off track but only one smallish awkward section around Moraine Tarn. Wentworth Hills? There's good camping in the large bowl up there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby phATty » Fri 12 Apr, 2024 1:47 pm

north-north-west wrote:The drive time is a major limitation. Packers Spur to the Thumbs, camping down on the plains, then out via Clear Hill is one of the few that comes to mind. Sprent would be too much for newbies and most of the other out-of-the-way options require a boat. Schnells, east along the ridge and down to the small plateau betwen the eastern moraine and Gallaghers? Off track but only one smallish awkward section around Moraine Tarn. Wentworth Hills? There's good camping in the large bowl up there.

I have indeed done The Thumbs and up over Clear Hill, there was some decent scrub on the approach to Clear Hill that complete beginners probably wouldn't have fun with. I'll check out Wentworth Hills, again, the off track might be a little much for them. I also could honestly suck it up and go up Rufus/Little Hugel and camp at Shadow Lake (I promise to keep them potty trained haha). I was only there just recently but it's a nice spot nevertheless. Or maybe even up Douglas Apsley near the gorge.

Mt Ida even? If I can convince a mate who has a boat to come along...
phATty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby eggs » Fri 12 Apr, 2024 2:10 pm

My first 3 overnight walks with some of my children were - High Camp hut and Eliza Plateau, Lake Myrtle and Rogoona, Lake Tyndall and Mt Tyndall.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby tassietramper » Fri 12 Apr, 2024 3:42 pm

I've used Pine Valley as a place to take beginners on a few occasions. Option of camping or using the hut adds to the appeal.
tassietramper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby headwerkn » Sat 13 Apr, 2024 11:18 am

Nineteen Lagoons/Western Lakes area? So long as the weather forecast is sensible, you can basically go anywhere you like. Good area for teaching the basics of cross country navigation.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sat 13 Apr, 2024 12:56 pm

headwerkn wrote:Nineteen Lagoons/Western Lakes area? So long as the weather forecast is sensible, you can basically go anywhere you like. Good area for teaching the basics of cross country navigation.

I didn't think about that. Talleh/Fanny or Antimony/Bernes are good, relatively easily accessible areas with great camping.
Just remember that they're part of the closed area for the aerial deer shooting startiing on 29th April.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby L_Cham_67 » Sun 14 Apr, 2024 11:15 am

You might be able to turn what would usually be a day walk into a cruisy overnighter.
Tasman Coastal Trail perhaps? Mt Picton or Adamsons maybe? Or a high camp at Mt Field. Maria Island is an option.
The Cuvier Valley has had some trackwork done to it in recent years thanks to volunteer groups, maybe somewhere like Lake Petrarch is an option?
You may have already visited these places of course. But as you say, it's a tricky criteria to fill haha.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby phATty » Sun 14 Apr, 2024 7:22 pm

L_Cham_67 wrote:You might be able to turn what would usually be a day walk into a cruisy overnighter.
Tasman Coastal Trail perhaps? Mt Picton or Adamsons maybe? Or a high camp at Mt Field. Maria Island is an option.
The Cuvier Valley has had some trackwork done to it in recent years thanks to volunteer groups, maybe somewhere like Lake Petrarch is an option?
You may have already visited these places of course. But as you say, it's a tricky criteria to fill haha.

Indeed I have already been to all of these areas. Then again, most are worth a revisit. I'm starting to think a bit of a random ramble through the western lakes might be nice, the good thing about an easy walk is you get to haul in a case of beers, steaks, vegetables, bacon, eggs and the like.

Anyone have any lakes in this region in particular that offer some good walking? I've been to Lake Antimony/Bernes Valley and through the Western Tiers on Ritters track and I suppose I'd assume the terrain would be much the same (maybe even less diverse). Lake Fanny might be a good one, I haven't gone through there as of yet, is Mt Jerusalem and walking out from Lake Fanny possible in a day?
phATty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Tasmania