Satellite images appear to show logging in National Parks

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Satellite images appear to show logging in National Parks

Postby exocarpos » Wed 01 May, 2024 11:56 am

Hello,

While looking at the satellite imagery on LISTmap, I have noticed several areas that appear to be logging within the national park boundaries. There are a few near the track up Adamsons that look quite recent in the 2013 state aerial photos, although have grown back somewhat in the ESRI photos so are not as noticeable there. The ESRI photos show some more recent further logging directly to the North of there along an extension of the road into these first areas.

After noticing these, I had a further look, and noticed a couple more areas in the northernmost part of the Hartz Mountains NP, again most noticeable on the 2013 aerial photos. There are more again around the edges of the section of the Southwest NP between Styx River Regional Reserve and Russell Ridge Conservation area. I'm having trouble uploading photos, but they are pretty easy to spot on LISTmap by overlaying the land tenure layer on the state aerial photo layer and making it transparent.

Anyone know if there is an explanation for this? I thought perhaps there has been a change in the boundaries, although I couldn't see any information on this, and I can't see why they would protect areas that have just been logged. If illegal logging had been taking place I would assume it would have been noticed by now, but I haven't read/seen anything about this.

Cheers.
exocarpos
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Satellite images appear to show logging in National Park

Postby Last » Wed 01 May, 2024 9:07 pm

I have previously noticed this. There are also areas near Mt Field west that appear to have been harvested in the relatively recent past. There are logging roads and plantations visible. I have no explanation.
noen ganger er det godt å være alene i villmarken
Last
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Wed 01 May, 2024 10:40 pm

Are you referring to the four cleared areas north and south of the Adamsons Peak track near Manuka Flat? They extend in about 1km to 2.5km in from the current Southwest NP border?

My guesstimate is that they were harvested prior to whenever the last RFA came into effect (2017ish?) and the Southwest National Park borders expanded over them. Possibly before then. If memory serves correct the southern and upper Derwent/Styx forests have seen the majority of reserve expansions in the past 20-25 years (and indeed, since the 1970s) which would match the differences in regrowth between the older State Aerial photography and the more recent ESRI satellite imagery.

I have seen a great animation of the changing land tenure across Tasmania in the past 50 years, which illustrates the expansion of National Parks and Conservation Areas particularly in the south of the state; alas Google is failing me right now ;-)
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tastrax » Thu 02 May, 2024 6:08 pm

Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby taswegian » Thu 02 May, 2024 10:08 pm

Screenshot_20240502_215221_Opera.jpg

Probably not what it looks like in LISTmap. Well hope not!

If you look at this there's been a lot of logging over the years. That's just one series.
https://services.thelist.tas.gov.au/arc ... nts/113891
There's been quite a bit of photography over the years. Historic imagery can be interesting.
taswegian

Postby tastrax » Sun 05 May, 2024 8:38 pm

RussellRiver.JPG

Exactly the same BUT no idea on the date of the imagery or any changes to the boundaries ( I have Tenure layer on)
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Return to Tasmania