Death of Tasmanian Bushwalker

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Death of Tasmanian Bushwalker

Postby stu » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 9:35 am

I don't personally agree with this link without the consent of the family...and even then it's more than a little morbid isn't it?
It would be very, very upsetting to those mourning a loved ones loss to come across this open discussion with video footage...surely?
That's just my take on it; if it were my father, brother, son, whatever I would be pretty appalled & furious at this forum...these times are very private for those involved.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 9:40 am

this show has already been aired on public television, so its already in the public domain , I'm not sure if that has any effect on your response..
it's also a part of the reality of bushwalking and mountaineering of the end result sometimes when things go wrong. as tragic as they are.
perhaps it should be another thread as to what is acceptable to post in regards to death on this site...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby stu » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 9:58 am

I can see where you're coming from Wayno...i'd just be more than a little annoyed if it was my lost loved one being shown in their last tragic resting place without some form of communication / consent.
Yes, certainly a consequence of what we do, but some things, even for us adventurous souls, should be left private IMHO...and it's more for respect for the family than the victim.
As I said tho, that's just me & just putting forth my point of view; didn't say whether it was a right or wrong point of view.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 10:03 am

stu wrote:I don't personally agree with this link without the consent of the family...and even then it's more than a little morbid isn't it?
It would be very, very upsetting to those mourning a loved ones loss to come across this open discussion with video footage...surely?
That's just my take on it; if it were my father, brother, son, whatever I would be pretty appalled & furious at this forum...these times are very private for those involved.

It's worth noting that two members of James' family have already contributed some excellent posts to this topic. We should aim to be cautious and sensitive about what we post, but they seem to be OK with it so far. Having said that, I don't know if they've seen the video yet (although one did express an interest in it) so I'm unsure if this would be a step too far for them. If they requested that we removed anything here that touched a nerve, I'd do so as soon as possible.

On a different note...

The video is hard to watch when you know what the outcome is, but it is well produced and makes some good points without lecturing. It makes it clear that James did things right in terms of preparation and communication about intentions, and shows in a very practical way how useful that was for the search team.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby stu » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 10:10 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
stu wrote:I don't personally agree with this link without the consent of the family...and even then it's more than a little morbid isn't it?

It's worth noting that two members of James' family have already contributed to this topic several times. I agree that we should aim to be cautious and sensitive about what we post, but they seem to be OK with it so far. Having said that, I don't know if they've seen the video yet so I'm unsure if this would be a step too far for them. If they requested that we removed anything here that touched a nerve, I'd do so as soon as possible.

In this instance surely that would have made it easier to seek some sort of permission as some of the family members are forum members...a PM to them may not have gone astray?
I guess i'm just a very private person & if it was me i'd have liked some sort of communication before airing something so private (even if it had been aired on NZ TV)...but that's just me.
It's still all a bit morbid & disrespectful to James, surely?
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 10:19 am

You may be right, but it is difficult to judge. When a post first mentioned the airing of this on NZ television, the response from one of the family members was, "...I will be interested to see this."

When the link was first posted I did wonder if it was going to far, but the posts by family members here has made me think that they're probably OK with it. I could be wrong though.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby wayno » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 10:21 am

personally if it was my death i'd want as many bushwalkers as possible to know the details and learn from what happened, of course that is only my view and i don't speak for anyone else. we go places where the route is not so obvious and its seldom people can see the locations of acidents like this . no one should have to repeat experiences like this. this is rare footage that tells a story that people can learn from to avoid repeating.
i have seen someone else post on another site that as a result of seeing the show they had decided against a planned trip following the same route as he realised it was more difficult than he previously believed and he was not experienced enough to undertake the trip...
so some good things can come from this, as hard as the subject matter is...
i've also pondered doing this route and it has valuable information in it about the route and potential pitfalls.
I"ve come through some nasty accidents in he past, the knowledge about those accidents i believe is important to be shared to help reduce their likelihood.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 10:40 am

It is worth noting that this video would not have been made without the consent of James' family, at least that's how it works in Australia.
When I obtain consent for filming the document I use will cover the use of the persons image internationally, such is the world of YouTube these days.

I do agree with Stu, I'm intensely private when it comes to my family and wouldn't want their image used without their direct consent. It might have been respectful for Wayno to PM David or Michael prior to posting the link.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 10:51 am

i have PM'd David and will remove the link if he indicates he would like this done,
my apologies for not seeking his approval in advance.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 3:38 pm

I do not see any problem with the link in this thread. It seems completely within the bounds, given the openness of the discussion including family members in the thread already.

If the family had an issue with the public nature of the video, then they would not have allowed it to go to air period.

The show was very well put together and i am grateful to have seen it as a reminder to one's self of what can happen out there.
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Tue 18 Dec, 2012 9:29 am

HI
I have had a message from David the family member, so he is aware the link to the video is on this thread,
he is OK with it remaining on the forum.
I will leave the video link up unless the family change their mind in the future
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby davidp » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 10:16 am

In loving memory.
Almost eight years now.
David
davidp
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby davidp » Fri 22 Jan, 2021 7:57 pm

James
You are forever in our memories
Ten years and your family still walks and feels your spirit out there in the wild
Your loving brother David
davidp
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby farefam » Thu 04 Feb, 2021 6:59 pm

A very sad story. I've only hiked as far as Gertrude Saddle. Fabulous view of Milford Sound from there, so I didn't think of going any further up the steep ridge towards Barrier Knob.

The video does highlight how professional the SAR crews are and just how steep and treacherous the mountains and ridges in NZ can be. From first hand experience the very steep slopes can be incredibly slippery due to moisture, tussock grass, loose rock or ice/snow. Not a place to be in poor visibility either.

I thought the sentiments from his brother were very fitting. James lived more in the time he had than a great many people do in their entire life, and left behind him many fond memories of shared adventures. A life of adventure is a life well lived in my view.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Tasmania