Lost Walker Several Years Ago- Labyrinth Area

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Lost Walker Several Years Ago- Labyrinth Area

Postby bobcrusader » Sun 25 Aug, 2019 8:38 am

bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Wherever I may roam » Mon 26 Aug, 2019 1:38 pm

corvus wrote:gorby a worthwhile comment pity some folk from the north island think they can survive with their summer weather gear on our mountains eh!!

Thanks for demonstrating that ignorance doesn't discriminate Corvus. The superior people on the 'south island' would never find themselves in any difficulty in the Tasmnaian Wilderness right? Because their Tasmanian right and are superior in intelligence? Wrong.

There are plenty of examples where Tasmanian's have gone missing or been under prepared...
https://www.news.com.au/national/search ... ef75587430

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-26/ ... a/10645438

How about instead of standing on your pedestal and throwing a cheap shot that you do what most Tasmanian contributors do on this forum and share your knowledge/experience in a meaningful way that may just save a life in future.

And I have had numerous personal experiences in Tasmania where we have had to assist Tasmanian's in need, like the Tasmanian walker who was left behind by the rest of his Tasmanain friends half way up Alpha Moraine (Western Arthurs) because he was moving too slowly. My group proceeded to walk with him up the Moraine. He eventually tired at the Junction that leads down to the lake Fortuna. We waited with him, monitored him and then when we were satisfied he was able to proceed we continued with him on to Lake Cygnus to reunite him with his group. Oh - and he was wearing summer gear (inappropriate) on YOUR mountains....
Wherever I may roam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby CBee » Mon 26 Aug, 2019 4:31 pm

Labyrinth, not a promising name for a place to get lost...
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby doogs » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 10:11 am

Wherever I may roam wrote:
corvus wrote:gorby a worthwhile comment pity some folk from the north island think they can survive with their summer weather gear on our mountains eh!!

Thanks for demonstrating that ignorance doesn't discriminate Corvus. The superior people on the 'south island' would never find themselves in any difficulty in the Tasmnaian Wilderness right? Because their Tasmanian right and are superior in intelligence? Wrong..

That comment was 11 years ago.. the site was (I think) just Bushwalk Tasmania then and had a couple of hundred members. It's amazing how social media has grown in that time and I'm sure Corvus wouldn't have known nor expected his comment to have caused offence all this time later.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Claresfriend1980 » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi All
I’m a friend of Clare Hutcheson (the 20 year old girl who disappeared after staying in the Hut and never made it to the labyrinth.
I’m actually here in Tassie for my honeymoon and we have tried to get to pine valley to see her plaque, and the laminated picture and words written from her mum and dad, Barry and Joni.
I guess I wanted to reach out as my family were very close to her (we were born 5 days apart, same hospital, same kindy, primary school and high school, best friends from 5!), and sadly both Barry and Joni have now passed and she was an only child. It worries us that if some day, her body is ever found, the authorities won’t have a contact to let know.
I also wanted to reach out as you all seem like experienced bushwalkers and know the area - would any of you know where the logbooks for the line valley hut in 2000 would be kept?
It fills my heart with so much love how much she has touched people and I thank you for your beautiful wishes for her xxx
Claresfriend1980
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 7:44 am

Claresfriend1980 wrote:I also wanted to reach out as you all seem like experienced bushwalkers and know the area - would any of you know where the logbooks for the line valley hut in 2000 would be kept?

Contact TasPAWS. They will either have the books or know how to get hold of them.

As for the chances of finding any of Clare's remains - this may sound harsh, but devils and other carnivores don't tend to leave much behind. If you don't find something fairly quickly, the odds of finding anything at all at minimal.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Azza » Tue 30 Mar, 2021 8:45 am

I'm under the impression that the log books when collected by Parks are put into the Tasmanian Archives, rather than held by parks themselves.
Azza

Postby Mowser » Tue 06 Apr, 2021 5:06 pm

Last I was aware, all the log books are sent to the State Archives for storage. You can search for their availability on the libraries tas website. You normally need to order them to view at the state library in Murray Street, Hobart. Looks like they have some available for viewing; https://librariestas.ent.sirsidynix.net ... og&qu=book
The staff are very helpful so I'm sure if you give them a call they'll be able to assist in the process. I can't see any for Pine Valley for after 1999 but call and they'll point you in the right direction. (03) 6165 5541 Best of luck!
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Previous

Return to Tasmania