Low Rocky Point

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Low Rocky Point

Postby mjdalessa » Fri 25 Nov, 2011 7:33 pm

http://www.dirtbikeaustralia.com.au/dir ... er-TR.html

Thought this might interest some. Came across this and was really surprised that it is perfectly ok to chew up button grass plains with trail bikes. On the other hand, the road looks good and would make very quick work of lee, lewis, discovery and innes ;)

They must not have had a map either because they managed to get lost on trail bikes... :roll: Is it really legal to take dirt bikes or quad bikes down there? (Not that I want to do it)
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Low Rocky Point

Postby jose » Fri 25 Nov, 2011 10:32 pm

Yes, it is legal to take quad bikes down there but you first need to get a permit from Parks. I guess there are some regulations to be adhered to.
jose
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Fri 25 Nov, 2011 11:10 pm

jose wrote:Yes, it is legal to take quad bikes down there but you first need to get a permit from Parks. I guess there are some regulations to be adhered to.

I wonder if this complies with regulations?:
There was only one way out, maybe try to make some new tracks was the answer, so the small tee trees that live in the gully’s water and bog that came up to about our chests were hit full noise in 2nd or 3rd.

Hmmm...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ndevr » Sat 26 Nov, 2011 12:24 am

Aah yes, the old conundrum....the Lewis River Bridge, avoids another swim for the trekker, but opens up the wild West to more than just foot traffic. That old bridge has many a story to tell, as you can see a good section of planks have 'accidentally' disappeared which just happens to slow down those with motorised assistance. I believe it's legal, but it's in the bikers best interest to respect the terrain and the campsites, because it wouldn't take much to ban the activity. Even the most considerate trail/quad biker will do some damage, especially if the terrain is wet...which it pretty much is for 330 days. I didn't kick any planks off the bridge, but after the mess at Sloop Point campsite in the Northern section, I can understand why some have.

The merits of fanning-out, we'll save that old chestnut for another day.

Anyway, as it is with the mysterious West, the less airplay the better chance of preservation.

Ndevr
Ndevr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby mjdalessa » Sun 27 Nov, 2011 7:47 pm

This provides some extra info on birches inlet:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1690&p=16263#p16263

Those peaks look like a nice little trip if you take a mountain bike to make quick work of the road sections.
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa

Postby mtrain » Sat 14 Jan, 2012 3:26 pm

That bridge over the lewis needs to go. For peoples information the bridge in the main photo is the one crossing the lewis river and It has been officially condemned however parks have no money to remove it as it would be rather costly. Over time various friends of the world heritage area have removed the decking to try to make it uncrossable to the various motorised vehicles that use it to access the area south of there. However there is particular developer in Hobart who has the funds to re plank the bridge quietly every now and then so he and his bogan mates can do their yearly *&^%$#! up quad trip down to the Elliot bay camp sites. Parks do require you to get a permit to take vehicles down there but it is a large and remote area so without daily air patrols that is difficult to enforce. If that bridge frame were to fall down then a lot of the vehicle traffic would stop.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Strider » Sat 14 Jan, 2012 6:23 pm

That site really should be brought to PAWS attention. Particularly this part:

There was only one way out, maybe try to make some new tracks was the answer, so the small tee trees that live in the gully’s water and bog that came up to about our chests were hit full noise in 2nd or 3rd.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taswegian » Sat 14 Jan, 2012 6:48 pm

If that bridge frame were to fall down then a lot of the vehicle traffic would stop.
surely that wouldn't be too difficult a task??

Could SES do it as an excercise in reverse. Learn how to make a bridge by dismantling one. Maybe even reuse bits elesewhere?

There is recreation and then there's wreckcreation!@%*
taswegian

Postby geoskid » Sat 14 Jan, 2012 7:09 pm

Lot of assertions made here, anyone got any links to facts regarding the bridge and legalities of use.
Is wrecking the bridge legal, I wonder?
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby geoskid » Sat 14 Jan, 2012 7:12 pm

taswegian wrote:There is recreation and then there's wreckcreation!@%*

Haha, cute, like the Loddon Plains do you mean?
geoskid

Postby mtrain » Sun 15 Jan, 2012 1:09 pm

geoskid wrote:Lot of assertions made here, anyone got any links to facts regarding the bridge and legalities of use.

Yes you are right about the facts I am spouting and I admit they are hearsay, however from a source who would know. Also I would say wrecking the bridge would not be legal, It would be a case of individuals breaking the law to circumvent an unfortunate bureaucratic conundrum in order to protect something they believe in. A bit of the old monkey wrenching. I also have to say that in defence of the dirt bikers (not that I do defend their actions) the amount of mining exploration damage in that area is large and could lead some individuals to think" well what does one extra track matter".
I guess I just get really frustrated at the constant erosion of areas that are supposed to be kept for their conservation value and feel that some times a little civil disobedience is required to counteract the pressure caused by industry. The Industry operating down in that area is pretty good at breaking laws themselves and parks are fairly hamstrung by the size, cost and complexity of the organisation they represent and are a part of.
Also I believe nobody in our society is entirely free of blame for the destruction of our natural environment and we do have to be a bit careful pointing fingers.
:roll:
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nick S » Sun 15 Jan, 2012 3:11 pm

Yeah I've walked along the low rocky point road from birches inlet and spent a night on mt innes. The road actually gets quite steep and rough in places and would require pretty good riding skills with backup I reckon. From the logbook at the hut it seems not many ppl ferry their bikes across though.
Nick S

Postby Strider » Sun 15 Jan, 2012 4:32 pm

Nick S wrote:From the logbook at the hut it seems not many ppl ferry their bikes across though.

I work on a fish farm in Macquarie Harbour - there are boats going past with quad bikes aboard constantly.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Sun 15 Jan, 2012 6:44 pm

mtrain wrote:
geoskid wrote:Lot of assertions made here, anyone got any links to facts regarding the bridge and legalities of use.

Yes you are right about the facts I am spouting and I admit they are hearsay, however from a source who would know. Also I would say wrecking the bridge would not be legal, It would be a case of individuals breaking the law to circumvent an unfortunate bureaucratic conundrum in order to protect something they believe in. A bit of the old monkey wrenching. I also have to say that in defence of the dirt bikers (not that I do defend their actions) the amount of mining exploration damage in that area is large and could lead some individuals to think" well what does one extra track matter".
I guess I just get really frustrated at the constant erosion of areas that are supposed to be kept for their conservation value and feel that some times a little civil disobedience is required to counteract the pressure caused by industry. The Industry operating down in that area is pretty good at breaking laws themselves and parks are fairly hamstrung by the size, cost and complexity of the organisation they represent and are a part of.
Also I believe nobody in our society is entirely free of blame for the destruction of our natural environment and we do have to be a bit careful pointing fingers.
:roll:

Thanks mtrain, great post, the balance is much appreciated.
Shows just how complex and emotive an issue it is.
geoskid

Postby flyfisher » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 12:58 pm

Geoskid you are on the money. Why is that so many people are so greedy when it comes to out of the way places.

The locals have been going down there since way back and then the Johnny come latelys want it to all stop. Selfish.

Flyfisher

Ducking. :wink:
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Buddy » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 8:08 pm

I agree flyfisher. Let's close Frenchman's and South Coast--too much mud. OK 'cos it's made by walkers you say? No, damage is damage. Let's qualify it then. When is damage to terrain OK and when is it not? In the case of Low Rocky, prospecting by bulldozer blade did the damage. Unfortunate, but it's done. It will not repair any time soon-regardless. This area is designated as an area where motorised recreation can legally occur. The bridges in question are a Parks asset and to damage them is a criminal act. They can be bypassed by fording. Parks are saying now it is not permissable to do this-questionable. I have long believed there is enough country out there for a multiplicity to recreate in. Some instrumentalities think otherwise as they continue to close 4WD tracks off and offer NO alternatives. This is not management, this is an unimaginative,lazy option.
Buddy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 12:11 am

Good post Buddy, parks management is often a barrier so no management required.

Far better would be education and signs etc.

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Buddy » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 7:14 am

In addition, most don't realise that this track was given to bike riders et al as a compensation for the loss of Jane River and Raglan Ra. tracks.
Buddy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kingo125 » Tue 13 Jul, 2021 10:59 am

Plenty of Eco terrorists in here. 'Knock the bridge down' because it doesn't suit your narrative.
So you've been there but nobody else should be allowed!?
Who do you think made most of these tracks you bushwalk. Prospectors, loggers, miners.
Who do you think maintains them.. 4wders, trailriders.
You wonder why 99% of Tasmanians hate Bob Brown and his ring in mainland protesters...
I Bushwalk, mountain bike, dirtbike, 4wd and there are idiots that do the wrong thing in every category,
Its unfortunate but will never change. Tracks such as the fincham and Raglan tracks have all but disappeared
Because you lazy terrorists wont get off your *&%$#! and maintain them. I guarantee they would be clear
If vehicles were allowed in there. Needs to be bigger fines and more policing of people doing the wrong thing
Then we can all enjoy Tasmania especially for *&%$#! that purposely damage a bridge.
The area in question is a 3rd of Tasmania almost unaccesable and a 3m wide track is a problem.
Get real.
kingo125
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Jon MS » Wed 14 Jul, 2021 4:12 pm

I was in two minds as to whether to reply to the previous post made on tue 13 July, but on reflection decided that it contained so many misleading statements that are important to refute and/or put into context.

The main area covered by this topic is the remote, rarely visited Low Rocky Point region. Over the past 35 years I have walked through this location over 16 times and visited it on at least 10 other occasions (ie almost every year).

The Low Rocky Point track was put in in the 1950s to build and service the Low Rocky Point lighthouse and the region was then subjected to intensive mineral exploration between the 1950s and 1980s. The direct route from Birchs Inlet, without side tracks, is over 70 km long and now has extensive erosion and 1000s of bog holes. Due to the amount of peat soil the track has not been trafficable by 4wd vehicles for over 40 years. The main vehicles used for mineral exploration were 4wd Haflingers and tracked Bombardiers, which have a much greater off-road ability than most vehicles and are not easily available now.

By about 7 years ago the bridges over the Lewis and Wanderer Rivers had become very unsafe, mainly due to metal corrosion, but also the rotting out of their wooden joists and decking. The Lewis River bridge was also impacted during the 2019 bushfires with part of its wooden joists and decking burnt out. The extent of the bridge’s corrosion is such that it is not be possible to make the bridges safe without total replacement. These are significant sized bridges. The Lewis River bridge is about 50 m long, made using steel girders and is about 15 m above river level. To fix the Low Rocky Point track to a standard usable by 4wd vehicles would cost millions. Even to get it to quad bike standard would cost $100 000s. As a result, Parks stopped quads and motor bikes using the track. Due to this the quad bike riders also stopped using the Cowrie Beach campsite.

Every year we used to clean up the Cowrie Beach campsite, collecting and removing 100s of beer cans and bottles each time. Once the quad bike riders stopped using the Cowrie Beach campsite the number of beer cans and bottles being left dropped by at least 99%!!! There have also has been no live trees cut down at Cowrie Beach since the quads stopped going there. The quad bike riders also pushed tracks about 15 km towards the southwest, including into the World Heritage Area.

As regards the Fincham track over the Raglan Range, in the 1990s Parks spent a lot of money fixing it up so 4wds could use it but the track quickly washed out again, the southern end got very muddy and the bridge over the Nielson River rotted out. Vehicle based users also left heaps of rubbish around the old HEC hut at Fincham. In the 1990s Parks also fixed up the Mt McCall track (I note that this track has not been complained about…). Last time I drove my 4wd into Mt McCall the track was in reasonable condition.

Between Low Rocky Point and Strahan, in the area around Birthday Bay, quad and motor bike riders have been doing lots of track cutting, arson fires, digging up Aboriginal middens with their bikes and building huts. I know of about 10 huts that have been built in the last decade. Some of these hut sites would be best described as villages, with multiple huts and TONNES of rubbish.

The problem is simple.

If quad and motor bike users respected the area they would be able to get permits. Yes, some bushwalkers leave rubbish or light campfires on peat soil, but they are a small minority. The simple reality is that a very large proportion (at least 95%) of quad and motor bike riders do not do the right thing, and they are the ones responsible for getting everybody else being restricted. If complaints are going to be made, these complaints need to target those responsible for the overwhelming majority of the damage, quad and motor bike riders.
Jon MS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kingo125 » Sun 08 Aug, 2021 12:52 pm

Hi John MS
The only misleading statement was me saying the Fincham track i meant the Jane.
I stand by everything i said as i was referring to tracks in general not just this one, I spend most summers clearing tracks and exploring.
I have been to Low Rocky point (walked) and know the area well enough and if what you say about the 100s of bottles and general disrespect for the area is true then it is very disappointing, although i am sure you are exagerating.
Boats and others access the area also and i think its not really fair to solely blame riders. It would be silly to say they all do the right thing but 95%! I take that as a personal insult and don't even ride quads.
I'm a two wheeler rider so couldn't cart cans in there even if i wanted to and have certainly never littered a thing and always try and respect areas.
I know that timber was carted in so twin temporary boards could be placed on the Wanderer bridge to get quads over and my problem was with people thinking its ok to throw the boards in the water to prevent access. These tracks need to stay open for emergencies and recreation and i never once suggested Parks pay thousands to repair bridges as that would be a ridiculous waste of money but if walkers and bikes can find a way across current bridges good on them.
i also know a group cut tea tree to replace said boards so they could cross which is the wrong thing to do and they shouldn't have done it but i would say was somewhat caused by people sabotaging bridge.
Bikes are legally allowed as far as the Lewis river so Parks have not stopped quads and bikes using the track at all. Very misleading statement there...
Can't everyone just get along?
I've also done Mt McCall and not sure what your point is.
As i said areas need to be policed and massive fines handed out. With a permit system and deposits paid etc.
Why should others miss out due to a few.
And that applies to all user groups not just motorcycles.
Tasmania is for all people to enjoy and if people do the wrong thing throw the book at them but as far as saying i'm allowed there and you're not is rubbish, Typical TAC and Greens mentality
kingo125
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Jon MS » Tue 10 Aug, 2021 5:49 pm

Hi Kingo,
You are right about the bridge over the Franklin R on the Jane R track: it was crippled using a chainsaw and subsequently washed away by a flood. I have no idea by whom. In any event, by the mid-1990s the track south of Carbonate Creek was very boggy and not trafficable.

As regards the bottles and cans at Cowrie Beach, I have photos of some of the piles we made before bagging them up. 100s of cans and bottles is no exaggeration. I also have photos of chopped down trees. These trees were not chopped down for firewood (green trees are not worth burning) so vandalism is the likely cause. Fishermen still use the cove as a anchorage and the few cans and bottles there are mostly on the strand line not up in the campsite. The difference is that quad and 2 wheel bikes no longer go there. Cans and bottles are also no longer being scattered along the access tracks.

I have also seen 2 wheel motor bikes carrying slabs and have followed their lines of empty cans, so littering is not restricted to quad bike riders.

I stand by by comment that 95% of quad and motor bike riders are not doing the right thing. Yes, there are some quad and motor bike riders that minimise the damage they cause, clean up after themselves (and others) and do work to fix up tracks. But, these users are a small, totally out numbered minority. In my observation, the majority of the users looking after the areas are the people who have shacks nearby, and most of the damage and littering is being done by weekend users.

These issues are not restricted to the Low Rocky Point area. There has been over 15 km of unauthorised vehicle track cut in the vicinity of Birthday Bay and the Mainwarring River. There is an "vehicle park" at the Butt of Liberty which last time I was there had about 20 quads parked in it, along with about 10 dead quads and motor bikes, several dead quad bike trailers, heaps of unusable tarps and large piles of rubbish.

I was doing weed surveying north of Granville Harbour a couple of weeks ago. The place is a mess of tracks, many of which are on Aboriginal cultural heritage sites. Minimal effort is being made to limit damage by keeping to the main track.

I see in the media that the tracks south of Sandy Cape are to be kept closed. The reason for this is because it has proved impossible to get 4wd, quad and motor bike riders to do the right thing. It is actually fairly easy to minimise vehicle damage to the environment. I am sure that if vehicle users could be relied on to do the right thing, the tracks would not have been closed and that by-passes around sensitive areas would have been developed (and used).

As a result of people not doing the right thing, I am being impacted in what I do. I have driven south of Sandy Cape down as far as the Interview River several times and would be keen to do again. But I am prevented from doing so by the inappropriate actions of other users.

So Kingo, maybe you are part of the 5% who are doing the right thing. If so, I suggest you get your fellow riders to follow your example and get their act together. They are the ones causing you and other people to be restricted in your activities.
Jon MS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kingo125 » Mon 23 Aug, 2021 6:25 pm

John ms
I agree with some things you say here and not quite with others but we have had our little say and to avoid a tit for tat lets just leave it at how disappointing it is to see any blatant disrespect for any area by any user. There is no excuse for littering. People need to realise how lucky we are to live in beautiful Tasmania. Cheers
kingo125
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania