Growling swallet

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Growling swallet

Postby newoutlook » Mon 07 Jul, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi, after some information from anyone that has been to the Growling swallet caves in Florentine valley, went for trip up there last week with partner, Parked at end of east f8 road and followed track through some of the best rainforest i have ever seen, then came to a staff picket and the track went right until we hit another staff picket and then turned left following some cairns pink ribbon markers on trees on a not very easily marked track, this is where our trip came to a end with my partner getting a migrane and losing her sight, so having a slow walk back to the carpark, After returning home and looking at the map I have started to get the feeling that we walked way to far on the ground compaired to the map, must have walked close to 1 hour and atleast 15 minutes following pink ribbon. Can anyone whom has visited this area recall there walking times and staff pickets and pink ribbon markers. It would be muchly appreciated as we are going to return to this most amazing place. Cheers
newoutlook
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Growling swallet

Postby stu » Fri 11 Jul, 2008 8:28 am

Can't really help much with directions, I went there in college (nearly 20 years ago) on a caving expedition & remember it as amazing - I think we descended something like 200m vertical into the bowels of the earth, following a stream the whole way (wetsuits under overallls). Mind you, we had an experienced caving gude with us, not to be attempted without someone who knows the dark places. On times, I certainly don't remember it taking much more than half an hour or so to get to the entrance, which wasn't as spectacular as Mystery Creek Cave (Lune River way) down south - but it was a long time ago. This probably hasn't been any help at all, sorry.

These links may help:

http://www.touringtasmania.info/growling_swallet.htm

http://www.lmrs.com.au/stc/index.htm (maybe contact for directions?)

http://www.aardvarkadventures.com.au/aa ... Itemid=135 (maybe contact for directions?)
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby newoutlook » Sun 13 Jul, 2008 9:11 pm

Did a trip up there yesterday to have another look around and with the help of a map and gps was able to locate it, heaps of water coming down river from mount field west into the Florentine valley and then disapearing into the Growling Swallet, a huge cave. The water then reappears at Junee Caves at Maydena. For those that havent visited this area before well worth a visit into the Florentine valley and the Growling Swallet.
newoutlook
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Hingrock » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 8:45 am

Hi newoutlook

I once had the opportunity to spend much time in the area due to where I was working at the time and I reckon what you had picked up (pink tapes) may have been an old pack track to Adamsfield. I am aware that FT had been in that way seeking out big trees in the past. You say the track wasn't very well marked but was the construction of the track good, eg. well benched, relatively low gradient.

Hingrock
Hingrock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rohjoe » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 8:56 pm

I visited Growling Swallet with a few friends last weekend (Sunday) and we also followed the track a bit too far. I suspect many people have done the same as the track is initially well defined then peters out. We back-tracked and noticed some branches across the track which we had missed, indicating a left turn to the sink hole. The track gradient is pretty flat apart from a brief climb up & down at the end. To the first time visitor it is quite a surprise to see the stream disappearing beneath impressive limestone cliffs. What a lovely spot, and a stark contrast to the scrubby summit of Mt Dawson which we had climbed just prior.
RJ.
rohjoe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Sharee » Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi,

Had a wonderful day trip from Hobart to Growling Swallett yesterday. You started off at the right place (F8 track). From there it does appear that you walked for too long. It is probably only 10-15 mins along the track (which now looks relatively easily marked). Around this time frame, you will hear running water very clearly. It becomes quite loud. At about this point, it is probably a 10-15m climb down to the entrance of the caving network. Very spectacular. As we had children with us an no experienced caver, we only entered the entrance of these remarkable caves. However, down inside it is quite beautiful, full of mist from running water etc. It would be worthwile returning just to find it.
Again, about 10-15 mins walk in until you hear running water quite loudly. Some kind person has placed small limbs across two alternative tracks. As you said, there are pink and blue markings. We just followed the obvious track until we could hear running water. Then you can see the small river below, which we did climb down to quite easily.

Hope this helps,

Sharee x
Sharee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Steve » Sun 15 Feb, 2009 1:40 pm

Growling Swallet is well worth a visit, I went there for my first time and the very end of last year. :wink:

A word of advice. The other track leading to the right, some distance in, is a big waste of time. You'll know if your on this track if you come to a huge hole in the ground where a massive tree has come down over the track about 10 minutes after turning off the main track. We followed it right to the end which seemed like half an hour or so as the track continued to get worse and worse and the marks continually harder to spot, they've obviously been placed there long years ago. Right at the end is sink hole with water running into it and a tiny entrance into the ground - not big enough for a person. Not worth the effort, and a lot of effort it took.
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mjdalessa » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 6:54 pm

Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby GerryDuke » Tue 17 Feb, 2009 1:13 am

The track into Growling Swallet is very well marked. I have been there 3 times now. A remarkable place. And yes a very beautiful forest walk. The track is well defined. I don't remember seeing any side tracks. The track continues on past the cave. I don't recall seeing any side tracks. Part of the track follows most of the length of a fallen tree.

Tried to get there one day only to encounter this:

GROWLING-SWALLET-15198.jpg
F8 EAST ROAD

Lucky it was on the way in!!

Gerry
Last edited by GerryDuke on Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site

Postby Steve » Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:52 pm

The last time I went up it had been cleaned up no too long ago but very roughly done. All the big rubbish was pushed to the side and all the smaller stuff was scattered along the road; it looked like one of those council tractors with the cutters on the side had drove through and broken all the limbs off, that or someone had had a fair old hack with an axe. :wink: If you don't want to risk scratching your car be wary! :!:
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rtunney » Sat 28 Feb, 2009 4:34 pm

The track to Growling Swallet from the end of Eight Road was put in by cavers in the mid-80s. The first picket is where the track joins McCullums Track. This track ran from Westerway, through The Gap, to The Settlement. It was also the alignment of The Great Western Railway to Strahan (which was never built!) The turn-off to Growling is the obvious turnoff just before a deep (4m deep anyway) dry valley. A stream can be heard to the left at this point.

The second picket marks another junction. McCullums Track continues for quite a way beyond this picket, but is not in very good condition as it's not often used by cavers. As Steve said, if you get to the enormous fallen tree, you've gone too far.

As a general warning, there are many taped lines in this area. Some of these lead to caves, others are survey lines. We cavers have little trouble following them. There is more information about Tassie caves at http://www.lmrs.com.au/stc

The "tiny" entrance found by Steve is most likely Serendipity, the 10th deepest cave in Australia. (The 30 deepest caves in Australia are all in Tassie and 17 of these are in the Junee Florentine.)

Ric Tunney
Southern Tasmanian Caverneers
rtunney
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Steve » Sat 28 Feb, 2009 8:46 pm

Wow, thanks for that info Ric. I never knew there were so many caves up there, you know your stuff! :wink:
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GerryDuke » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 9:34 pm

Just noticed your post Ric. It's an amazing place.

Gerry
http://www.TouringTasmania.info
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby L_Cham_67 » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 6:16 pm

Thought I'd reopen this forum to ask if anyone has any recent updates i should be aware of. I'm hoping to visit Growling swallet soon, and am curious to know if A) the road in is still free to access, or if you need a key to access, B) if a 2wd can drive in, C) what track conditions and marking is like, and I guess any other relevant info.
Thanks in advance!
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GerryDuke » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 9:46 pm

I was up there a month ago.

There is a gate but could easily driven around. OK for a 2WD.

The only tricky bit on the track was negotiating a fallen tree about 30 minutes. We thought we were on the track not realizing we had veered off to the left. We needed to head back to the right and needed to negotiate the tree and further to the right to get back on to the track. No more than a 100m diversion.

As mentioned in earlier posts there are many caves in the area. A beautiful short walk. Plenty of fungi at the time.

Gerry

2805-GROWLING-SWALLET-113.jpg
River at the entrance to the cave.

2805-GROWLING-SWALLET-183.jpg
The gate.
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NickMonk » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 10:13 pm

LOL that gate is a bit ridiculous, I wonder how long before anyone notices.....
NickMonk
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Wed 28 Jun, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks for reminding me. Really need to get up there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby L_Cham_67 » Wed 28 Jun, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks Gerry! If the weather stays fine on Sunday I might head up and take a look as well as visit The Needles, somewhere I still haven't been to yet!
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Thornbill » Mon 29 Mar, 2021 11:05 am

Wondering if anyone has been into Growling Swallet recently and know the status of the road and gate? Thinking of heading up over Easter and while an unexpected extra few K's of road walking doesn't bother me, it might for other family members I'll be with :)
How would a cubist paint a flounder?
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania