Lees Paddocks Track (or part thereof)

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lees Paddocks Track (or part thereof)

Postby Speculator » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 9:52 am

Hi all.

We wandered part way along the Lees Paddocks Track to Lewis and Oxley falls on Sunday (hey!... is the picture in the top left of the forums the suspension bridge from that track?).

It was pretty wet and muddy, but I notice people are starting to form diversions off the track into the scrub to go around the worst bits. We only went a couple of hours up the track, but it was beautiful up there despite being a little soggy. Some parts of the track have water running down it. But it's all nothing that you can't avoid by going around the water or walking through it with good boots on. No snow or ice up there on Sunday, which is a pity! The Lewis Falls diversion is marked with tape and an arrow cut into a log. Oxley Falls are far less obvious though.

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:08 am

Yes, the forum title photo is of the suspension bridge near the beginning of the Lees Paddocks track. It was taken on my daughter's first bush walk, which was to Oxley Falls when she was just 4 months old (gotta start 'em young). If you squint a lot, you may be able to see her in her mum's arms in the middle of the bridge. There's a nice photo from this series in the Gallery Forum of her sleeping on the rocks above Oxley Falls while we ate our lunch.

I think the title photo looks a bit like a portal from civilisation into the wilderness, and as such makes a good forum title shot.

The Mersey is such a long, varied and beautiful water course, eh?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Joe » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 9:50 pm

I have been talking about doing lees paddocks proper for ages...and after tonights camera club meeting having seen some pics of devils cauldron i am now set on doing it. i reckon i will do so on Saturday week with a view of walking up Saturday early early (leave Devonport around 7ish)...then heading back Sunday at leisurely pace, spending night at lees hut.

Would anyone else be keen for such an expedition?...should probably put this in the other forum eh?
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 9:11 am

Where's Devils Cauldron? I've walked the Mersey between Lees Paddocks and Junction Lake, but I've not heard that name before. So I'm just wondering if I've seen it, but not known the name, or if I've somehow missed it altogether. :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 6:34 pm

having not been in there myself im not 100% sure...but from what im told and from the photos i have seen its in the paddocks themselves...or very close...and its an area where river flows through 2 cliffaces and has a small waterfall. I got info and pics from Devonport Walking club members who know the area pretty well. Im not sure if its official name or not.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:07 am

I'll be interested to see your photos. I'd come along myself, but I've got family commitments on Saturday.

I'm going to have to make more effort to combine family commitments and bushwalking! :D
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania