Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby norts » Thu 23 Jun, 2022 10:49 am

You can still hike the PCT with out a PCTA issued permit, you just have to apply for permits from which ever land authority you are going to be passing through.
The PCTA permit was done so that thru hikers didnt have to go through the hassle of applying for the numerous permits that would be needed.
The PCTA cant stop you hiking and dont have any authority in regard to you hiking. They are just there trying to help hikers with the process.

The other way to do it is do a flip flop hike and get your permit starting somewhere up the trail, there usually isnt an issue getting one of those from PCTA or do a SOBO.

I did the AT in '14; first 400ks of the PCT in '15 and the rest of it in '16( that is how I know about the getting a permit starting up the trail)
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby safari » Thu 23 Jun, 2022 6:12 pm

Hey Stamina, no haven't had a peek at that website. I've done all the routes I mentioned and quite a few other long trails in the States, I'm a bit of a North American trail junkie plus I have dual Australia/ USA citizenship which makes long term stays much easier. I'm not $#!+ing on the PCT, it's stunning from a scenic perspective, I especially love the Southern desert section. It's just really really busy and hyped and without the trail angels waiting at remote trailheads to whisk hungry hikers into far flung towns and hundreds of jugs of water left in the desert it would be a tricky thru hike. So I found that as those things are provided in vast quantities there is a sense of expectation and entitlement but that's just my opinion.
I'm currently on the Heysen Trail, Southbounding. Really enjoying the evolving trail culture and quirky towns it rolls through. We don't have anything like the vast trail network in the States but we have some pretty awesome walks here.
the worst thing that can happen to a man, is he becomes civilised
David Goggins
safari
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stamina » Fri 24 Jun, 2022 5:36 am

Thanks Norts. Great to hear about your experience there. I have just finished hiking the Great South West Walk going clockwise from Portland. I hardly saw anyone the whole time. Really want to do something like the PCT or the AT before I get too old!
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Shawn
Region: Victoria

Postby Stamina » Mon 27 Jun, 2022 8:18 pm

Thanks for that Safari, sounds like hiking is your life?? It would be good to hear a bit more about what the Heyson is like sometime...
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stamina » Mon 12 Dec, 2022 9:26 am

Well I now have my visa and permit to hike the PCT so it's starting to get real.There are quite a few things to plan and gear to update.It looks like hikers are still not allowed to enter Canada via the trail with a valid entry permit from what I make out.

I thought I would fly into LA and catch the train down to San Diego. There is a shuttle service from there down to Campo near the southern trail head. Sounds fairly straightforward. As far as resupplying with food and gear, I'm not sure what the best option might be but I think buying as I go and sending a package to Kennedy Meadows with mandatory bear barrel stocked with food and whatever else I'd need to go through the sierras would be good. I read that I can get micro spikes and an ice axe there too.

Any advice from people who have done the trail?
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stamina » Mon 12 Dec, 2022 9:27 am

I just wanted to add that my start date is 30th of March.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby silicon » Fri 13 Jan, 2023 5:01 pm

Stamina wrote:Well I now have my visa and permit to hike the PCT so it's starting to get real.There are quite a few things to plan and gear to update.It looks like hikers are still not allowed to enter Canada via the trail with a valid entry permit from what I make out.

I thought I would fly into LA and catch the train down to San Diego. There is a shuttle service from there down to Campo near the southern trail head. Sounds fairly straightforward. As far as resupplying with food and gear, I'm not sure what the best option might be but I think buying as I go and sending a package to Kennedy Meadows with mandatory bear barrel stocked with food and whatever else I'd need to go through the sierras would be good. I read that I can get micro spikes and an ice axe there too.

Any advice from people who have done the trail?

I haven't looked into the current status of crossing the border into Canada, but you can probably sort it out on the trail if the border reopens pretty easily. At worst you just backtrack to the last pass and hitch out. Honestly don't stress about that kind of detail as it's so far down the track anyway.

Check your flight prices as it probably costs only a little more to fly into San Diego instead of using the train. Scout and Frodo are hosting again this year and I would definitely book in with them for the experience. The supermarket isn't too far away and they shuttle hikers out to the start which is a good 1.5hr away.

You can buy ice axe\gear\bear barrel at KM (south) from two separate vendors at reasonable prices as well as all the food you need. You can do pretty well the whole PCT without sending food boxes ahead. Seriously all you need to do is fly in, get to the start with a few days of food and start walking.
silicon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Stamina » Wed 18 Jan, 2023 11:55 am

Sounds good Silicon.
I'm flying directly into San Diego and I'll book the shuttle down to Campo like you say. Only a couple of months away now! I see it's been a huge snow year over there which has me a bit concerned. I guess I will just have to deal with it like everything else!
When did you hike the trail?
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby norts » Wed 18 Jan, 2023 9:35 pm

Scout and Frodos is a wonderful way to start the PCT.
I got picked up at the Airport, stayed 3 nights which at the time they allowed( not sure if they still do that) as I was an international hiker. Gave me time to organise things like food, sim card etc.
I think there was about 4 car loads of hikers that were shuttled out on the day I started.
Have a look at Scouts book on the PCT, it is a beautiful book. I was actually given one by a good friend who I met at their house and still keep in touch with.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stamina » Fri 20 Jan, 2023 9:47 am

Sounds good Norts!
I will look to book with them shortly.
When did you hike the trail?
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby silicon » Fri 20 Jan, 2023 11:52 am

I did it in 2019 with lots of snow. Scout and Frodo's make it all so easy from being picked up at the airport, food, and accommodation for up to two days now, and help to get ready food\gear wise if you need it. They also had AT&T come to the house each day so you could get a SIM and sign up in the lounge room. On the departure day, they take you right to the start. It's run by them and a whole army of trail angels, it's *&%$#! impressive and a great experience.

You can glean a bit of info from my blog if you wish https://nigelchristmas.wordpress.com/20 ... 20-2miles/
silicon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stamina » Tue 24 Jan, 2023 2:07 pm

Thanks Silicon, I had a look at your link/blog. Nice pictures.
Scout and Frodo are going to be hosting FROM the 1st of April so that's a couple of days after i fly in unfortunately. It looks like it would be great to stay with them but I will have to do something else.
I'm really looking forward to it all.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby silicon » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 8:45 am

That's a bit of a shame for you as it's a great experience. It makes it pretty simple for you though, grab the initial food in town, hit the public transport, and get cracking!
silicon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stamina » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 4:15 pm

Yes just need to get to REI or somewhere and buy a few things to be able to start. Gas, food, spikes etc.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stamina » Tue 14 Mar, 2023 6:25 am

Getting closer to my start date now(30 March) for the PCT.

Looks like a very high snow year ahead up the trail. Oh well, I will just have to deal with it. Going over each item of gear and thinking carefully about what I will need.

It's a fine line between efficiency and weight.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to International