Looks like Solo trekking in Nepal is off the menu.

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Looks like Solo trekking in Nepal is off the menu.

Postby safari » Wed 15 Mar, 2023 3:47 pm

Bit of a bugger. Just finished my 3rd teahouse hike in Nepal last month; the Langtang and Gosainkende. 3rd visit to Nepal in 15 years, previously walked the Annapurna Circuit and Everest Base Camp treks. All solo, teahouse stays. Might be the end of an era.
https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/nepa ... m-april-1/
the worst thing that can happen to a man, is he becomes civilised
David Goggins
safari
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Looks like Solo trekking in Nepal is off the menu.

Postby johnf » Wed 22 Mar, 2023 10:36 pm

From my reading it is not just solo trekkers. If you are in a group you still must have a guide.
I can't see any official information so not sure if they are enforcing any maximum group number of people to guide ratio.
Although it is stated as a safety measure, it seems to have come about due to lobbying from the trekking companies.
johnf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby CBee » Thu 23 Mar, 2023 8:40 am

According to an article I read, local commercial guide organizations are currently lobbying the nepali government for 1:1 ratio. The one being a guide and/or a porter.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby gbagua » Wed 17 May, 2023 7:50 pm

They all can go to hell. Lobbying for sure. Does this apply to solo alpine climbing/mountaineering as well?
gbagua

Postby GregR » Thu 18 May, 2023 10:11 am

Having just returned from Nepal last week, my understanding talking to locals and reading the local papers is that the authorities want to stop people trekking without a guide, ie/ solo, supposedly to prevent missing trekkers- their words not mine. Nothing to do with porters or porter ratios. In other words solo or in a group, you'll need a guide. Not sure where Cbee heard about a 1: 1 ratio- sounds improbable not to mention unworkable.

From what I heard the Khumbu Valley area operators are ignoring this directive, not that I went there this time. Not sure if the directive as yet actually has any teeth to be enforceable.

As I went to a restricted area it has long been mandated that a minimum of 2 trekkers plus a guide to gain entry in these restricted areas. Didn't bother me, the guide was very handy knowing the current state of play regarding landslips and rockfall areas. Interestingly, even though we were in a "guide only" area there were still a handful of signs for missing ( presumed dead!) western trekkers at some of the tea houses- good reminder to tip the guide well!! :D
GregR

Region: Victoria

Postby CBee » Thu 18 May, 2023 3:09 pm

I read the story of the compulsory guided hikes for the first time on a hiking blog magazine. I think an American one. The person who wrote the article also mentioned the story of the 1:1 ratio to boost employment in Nepal. I'm just writing this, but I cannot verify the reliability of the article.
CBee

Return to International