Day walks in Hokkaido, Japan

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Day walks in Hokkaido, Japan

Postby festivus » Fri 03 May, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has done any walking in Hokkaido? I am looking for a couple of good day walks in Daisetsusan National Park, and if I can get over there, one in the Shiretoko National Park. In Daisetsusan I was planning to make Asahidake Onsen my base for a couple of days. Maps tell me there are plenty of trails, just wanting perspective from anyone who has actually been there. Will be heading there this northern summer. If anyone has been to this area, any recommendations, stand outs, things to avoid?
Cheers
festivus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Day walks in Hokkaido, Japan

Postby festivus » Thu 22 Aug, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi, quite a few people seem to have looked at this thread, but no one responded! So I thought I would update with my experience.

I ended up going to Asahidake Onsen (village) after all, and it was a good area for a couple of day walks. The area was relatively easily accessed by train and then bus from Sapporo via Asahikawa. Though I wish now I had hired a car to get the most out of the island.
The summit of Mt Asahi is an easy, but steep, 3-4 hr return climb from the top of the ropeway station. The ropeway takes you from the Onsen about 2/3 of the way up the mountain.
As the highest mountain in Hokkaido it affords a good view of the surrounding ranges and valleys, and at around 2300m not too imposing. Still snow around in the dips and plateaus up high in late July. There are some volcanic vents as you head up the side of the mountain, which are interesting but smelly, and the vegetation above the tree line was surprisingly similar to Tasmania.
If walking in August when all the snow should be gone, there is also a good all-day circuit-walk of about 6-7hrs that continues over the summit and around the surrounding range to take you back to the ropeway station. Anyone with a reasonable level of fitness could do these walks - there were plenty of older Japanese summiting while I was there. Basic mud maps are available at the visitor centre, but I would recommend getting proper ones if you were planning on doing any serious walking. There is also a walker registration at the ropeway station.

For serious walkers, Mt Asahi is also the starting place for a much longer multi-day treck through the national park, but I wasn't in the mood for that one.

There's a trail going up the mountain from the Onsen if you don't want to be lazy and take the ropeway. I walked down it from the ropeway and it was a very pretty walk. A lot of people seemed to be wearing bear bells on their packs, so I got one too, as I was walking alone and didn't fancy being eaten, but I didn't see any sign of them. Insect repellent is useful up there in summer around the Onsen too. I stayed in a very comfortable youth hostel, that has private rooms and does great meals, called Daisetsuzan Shirakabaso, it was good value. If I get organised, I'll post a photo. But for anyone considering going to Hokkaido in summer, I recommend a trip to Mt Asahi! Cheers
festivus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby wayno » Thu 22 Aug, 2013 3:21 pm

cheers, i asked about walks in japan in general earlier and only one person said they had been there... i'm going in sept but, dont think i'll be in hokkaido
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby ofuros » Thu 22 Aug, 2013 4:12 pm

Daywalks & onsens.....I like the sound of that combination. 8-)
Will get over there one day...thanks for the info, festivus.
I'll check out the area in more detail, on the internet tonight.

.....via tapatalk.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby festivus » Thu 22 Aug, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi Wayno
On a previous visit to Japan I did some day walks in the mountains and along some of the rivers to the north-west of Kyoto - beautiful, but alas the details of those walks have since faded from my memory. I do know that the details of at least one of those day walks I did in that area are in the Lonely Planet's 'Hiking in Japan' guide. My favourite was a walk up through forest to a mountain-top temple, which then descended to follow a nice river for a few kms. I wish I could remember the name of it for you! Hope you enjoy your trip. If the weather is still hot and you do go to Kyoto, I can recommend an ice cold beer and cold somen noodles while sitting on the banks of the river in Arashiyama
festivus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to International