changes on fiordland and aspiring tracks

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

changes on fiordland and aspiring tracks

Postby wayno » Sat 04 May, 2013 1:59 pm

http://doc.govt.nz/about-doc/news/media ... ccessible/

a few changes going on on various tracks in the area
interesting about a day shelter being put in at routeburn flats.
when i stayed at the hut cant say i was happy at paying $50 to stay in a hut where lots of day walkers could come in and use the facilities for free and go wandering the bunk rooms full of gear... so problem should be solved there,.
dont quite understand why they are demolishing the upper caples hut eventually, its more midway between the carpark and the next huts than mid caples...they say they want to make the track easier for newbies but that will make for a longer walk over the mckellar saddle.
major upgrade to the track over the saddle though, it was pretty rough with endless tree roots and boulders to negotiate, its now a benched metalled / boardwalked highway the whole way now..
new bridge across 25 Mile Creek will be a major improvement on the rees track, the creek is a major obstacle becoming impassable in rain
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: changes on fiordland and aspiring tracks

Postby stuey69 » Mon 06 May, 2013 10:07 am

wayno wrote:new bridge across 25 Mile Creek will be a major improvement on the rees track, the creek is a major obstacle becoming impassable in rain

Excellent, that will make a difference.
stuey69
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby forest » Mon 06 May, 2013 11:39 am

I would have to agree that a bridge over 25 mile creek will be a neet addition. The death placard is a sobbering sight once you cross.
Sadely I can see this tramp becoming more and more great walk like though over time.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Mon 06 May, 2013 11:54 am

its already overrun in summer but bookings are coming into place on the track on all the rees dart huts, to stop too many people overfilling the huts,. if people can't book that hut it will put some people off from doing the track since its a long way between huts otherwise if they arent camping.
its still a fair way from becoming a great walk, DOC would have to bridge virtually every single side stream that could prevent you from crossing in a flood before that would happen, aspiring park have no plans to add huts or add to huts and theres not a great deal of restriction on camping as there is on the great walks.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/about-doc/news/m ... ng-system/
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Tue 07 May, 2013 11:03 am

I would be very disappointed if Upper Caples Hut was to go. Terrific hut in a great location! I can't see the sense in taking it out. What about people coming over from Steele Ck and continuing over into Scotts Basin? It is perfectly positioned for that trip.,

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Tue 07 May, 2013 11:10 am

yes i agree totally. love that site, i stepped out of the hut to the loo and was face to face with a deer! maybe they are looking to reduce reliance of people using the steel creek route, obviously they are looking to reducing hut admin costs by getting rid of one.. mayeb they wanted a hut near the road end to make it easier for young kids to get to and from it on overnight trips but it just makes for a 19 k trip to the next hut over a pass which isnt the friendliest for families teh weather can get pretty rough, the valleys there and the pass re pretty exposed to the elements.

nice relatively sheltered spot whre the upper caples hut is though. mind you look on the bright side once the hut is descommissioned it will make a great camping/bivy spot....
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Tue 07 May, 2013 3:28 pm

You can say that again. Beautiful big open grassy flast by the river. Perfect.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Tue 07 May, 2013 3:38 pm

hey, ssshhhh this was supposed to be yours and my secret.....
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Thu 09 May, 2013 3:57 pm

doc are also looking at allowing more tracks to be opened up to mountain bikers, including, the kepler, hollyford. nelson lakes, richmond ranges...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/8 ... r-cyclists

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news ... to-clashes
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Don R » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 12:20 am

good grief if they take out more huts , the Kiwis will stop walking or worse start carrying tents ! Did the Greenstone Caples last year after most of the Five Peaks route. I was stopped by a Ranger on the track who demanded to know which hut I stayed at the previous night, when I said I just used my tent he said "Oh you must be Australian!"
Don R
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby icefest » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 8:43 am

Don R wrote:good grief if they take out more huts , the Kiwis will stop walking or worse start carrying tents ! Did the Greenstone Caples last year after most of the Five Peaks route. I was stopped by a Ranger on the track who demanded to know which hut I stayed at the previous night, when I said I just used my tent he said "Oh you must be Australian!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to International