Anyone's been to the Italian/Swiss/Austrian Alps ?

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Anyone's been to the Italian/Swiss/Austrian Alps ?

Postby Hallu » Fri 22 Feb, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm considering going to a part of the Alps I don't know this summer (September) for three full weeks, taking my car from the Paris area. First I thought Austria, but I can't find a proper hiking book in English or French. Rother do some fine hiking books, but only translate a small part of them, the rest is in German. And there's like 20 books for Austria alone, none in English. So instead I think maybe Switzerland or Italy. I'd prefer Italy as Switzerland is much more expensive. I'm sure a few of you have been to the Dolomites or other parts of the Italian Alps. Did you just improvise for hikes, or did you find some nice books with detailed itineraries ? That would be for day hikes only. I'm also interested in areas like Gran Paradiso, Stelvio, Val Grande and any area that's not too touristy (so no Italian lakes and preferably no hikes that start in big ski resorts). I'm not the type of guy who goes blindly to an area without researching it in books unfortunately, so I would love some help, thanks :D
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Anyone's been to the Italian/Swiss/Austrian Alps ?

Postby scoha » Sat 23 Feb, 2019 11:49 am

Walked the Haute Route from Chamonix (Fr) to Zermatt (Ch) three years ago - it was spectacular and great variety. We walked the Cicerone guide route but reality is theres thousands of trails you can pretty much make it up as you go. Admittedly this isnt quite in your target area but it was a lovely walk - and beautiful Swiss alpine club refuges with the worlds most expensive cold beer. Few snaps to whet the appetite.
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Raymondo » Sun 24 Feb, 2019 1:00 pm

I walked the Adlerweg (Eagles Way) for 20 days through the Austrian Alps last August-Fab walk staying in huts. There is an English book on it (Ciccerone) and a website with English on every section of the walk, just google it.
Also done the Tour du Mt Blanc and the Stubai Horseshoe in Austria and many trails in the Dolomites-all Great and easy to find info if you google
Raymondo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby PedroArvy » Sun 24 Feb, 2019 8:55 pm

I recommend Austria.
See this post http://www.bogong.com.au/blog/walking-austria/
I saw a talk by Neil on the topic and that's what convinced me to go.
I would go back in a second, it was such a great trip.

I worried about guide books and all that but it is very civilized and you could just rock up and start walking.
This post is totally satisfactory as a planning route as there is little to plan given food is at all huts and there are obvious escape routes at all times https://bodamerblog.wordpress.com/2015/ ... l-austria/

Here is my video of the trip

PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to International