Scotland suggestions

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Scotland suggestions

Postby davidmorr » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 7:40 am

I am thinking about going to Britain next year to do some walking. At this stage, I am keen to walk in Scotland since I have not walked there much, and it probably has more wilderness than anywhere else in Britain. I may also go elsewhere, eg, Ireland. This will all be day walks staying at B&Bs or hotels due to capabilities of others.

First question: Scotland is renowned for bad weather. Is there a time of year when it is more stable? A post elsewhere suggests May.

Secondly, I am trying to work out where to walk. The West Highland Way seems very popular which might be a reason to avoid it, but there are lots of others too. I am thinking I might do two longer walks over 2-3 weeks, and would like them to be different. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Scotland suggestions

Postby wander » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 9:32 am

We spent 2 months cycling around Scotland.

We went as early in Spring as we could, I think we did April and May. This was to avoid the midges which was a successful plan. When we started in Newcastle on Tyne the trees had no leaves, when we finished all was hurt your eyes green.

Generally we found the weather, we did not not ride on any day due to weather. We had a few days where it was a bit damp and a couple that were windy (head wind of course). Overall it was good weather for exercising and getting views even if some were atmospheric.

Simply grab the guide to the Munros and let that be your guide. It covers pretty much everything of interest and you will find other trails referenced in it that are of interest.

The big walks are poo... popular, so expect a lot of company unless you go in Winter. That said the West Highland Way does look good on the map and a fair bit we cycled or close too.

Do not forget to consider the Hebrides, we got out to a lot of the big islands and noted there was a lot of good walking to do there. I'd have to look at the map and my notes to be more specific. But Jura rings a bell as having good options. Also Harris.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby davidmorr » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 10:13 am

wander wrote:We went as early in Spring as we could, I think we did April and May. This was to avoid the midges which was a successful plan. When we started in Newcastle on Tyne the trees had no leaves, when we finished all was hurt your eyes green.
Lots of advantages in going early, like cheaper fares and fewer people, but the midges were something I had not thought of.

Simply grab the guide to the Munros and let that be your guide. It covers pretty much everything of interest and you will find other trails referenced in it that are of interest.
Ok, will look for it.

Edit: Errr... Which one? There are lots.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Munros-P ... 1907025273
https://www.bookdepository.com/Munros-D ... 0907521945
https://www.bookdepository.com/Munros-2 ... 1842040829
Or this series:
https://www.bookdepository.com/search?s ... =Find+book

Do not forget to consider the Hebrides, we got out to a lot of the big islands and noted there was a lot of good walking to do there. I'd have to look at the map and my notes to be more specific. But Jura rings a bell as having good options. Also Harris.
Yes, I was thinking about offshore islands like Skye and Kintyre, but then someone suggested the remoter islands too.
Last edited by davidmorr on Wed 27 Mar, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 10:20 am

Lots of good info here & in its forum.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wander » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 1:59 pm

Skip Skye for wandering, there are better options.

As for which Munros Guide, no idea, people seemed to have all sorts out in the pub the night before or left on the front dash when parked next to a hill. The covers of McNeish and the Scottish Mountaineering Club look familiar form these spottings.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby rangersac » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 2:19 pm

Mid April to Mid May are the best times if you are heading for the west coast or islands for both weather and no midges. As others have said grab a Munros guide and have a look but I’d recommend the Knoydart peninsula, Cruachan circuit, Loch Etive through to Glencoe and the section of the West Highland way between Fort William and Crianlarich for a start. I’m biased though as I used to live in that neck of the woods! https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk is a great resource for finding stuff.
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby durks » Thu 04 Apr, 2019 7:05 am

davidmorr wrote:I am thinking about going to Britain next year to do some walking. At this stage, I am keen to walk in Scotland since I have not walked there much, and it probably has more wilderness than anywhere else in Britain.

Scotland can't really be described as having any true wilderness. However you can certainly get into some wild and lonely countryside.

davidmorr wrote:First question: Scotland is renowned for bad weather. Is there a time of year when it is more stable? A post elsewhere suggests May.

Spring - April/May/June - can often offer good weather. So can Autumn. But it obviously varies from year to year.

The much-discussed midge is not too serious a problem by the way, unless you're camping.

davidmorr wrote:Secondly, I am trying to work out where to walk. The West Highland Way seems very popular which might be a reason to avoid it, but there are lots of others too. I am thinking I might do two longer walks over 2-3 weeks, and would like them to be different. Suggestions welcome.

I wouldn't recommend the West Highland Way: it is largely flat foot-slogging which avoids all the obvious peaks en route.

Where have you walked in Scotland already?
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby durks » Thu 04 Apr, 2019 7:11 am

wander wrote:Skip Skye for wandering, there are better options.

The Black Cuillin of Skye are excellent hills, and very much worth a visit (provided the weather is okay.)

Jura has also been mentioned. Despite being only about 60 miles from Glasgow as the crow flies, that island is really as wild and lonely as Scotland gets: if you took a walk up the west coast you would probably have it completely to yourself for a few days. A round of the Paps of Jura is in any case a very enjoyable day.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby potato » Thu 04 Apr, 2019 8:05 am

x2 for Black Cuillin of Skye
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Beekeeper » Sat 04 Jan, 2020 4:31 pm

The Cuillins in Skye are definitely worth a look but you need to be good on your navigation or hire a guide.

If you do get to Skye take the ferry a bit further out to the Hebrides. Specifically the ferry runs from Skye to Tarbert [ the main town of Harris]. Lewis and Harris are actually one island. Lewis has the main centres but the best walking is in the Harris bit. BTW I would not be doing anything here until at least May.
Beekeeper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rcaffin » Sat 01 Feb, 2020 7:45 pm

Pennine Way full length can be fun. Parts of it were quite wild.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Birdman » Sun 16 Feb, 2020 9:39 pm

A hike that I really enjoyed last year (April-May) was the Cape Wrath Trail. I used the West Highland Way as a walk-in, so I had a 543km continuous route from Milngavie (Glasgow) to Cape Wrath. (Walk report in my signature).

The West Highland Way is pretty crowded, but most people hike it in the summer. In April-May it is quite alright, though still "social". The Cape Wrath Trail can be a lonely experience (which I like). I spent 5.5 days on the WHW and 16 on the CWT, so the whole thing was 21.5 days, without pushing too hard.

I have to say that I was very lucky with the weather and low water levels in streams. I never got my feet wet! This is not typical for the CWT. I did get a little bit of snow on some days, which was wonderful! Midges were nowhere to be seen.
My walking and travel reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/
Birdman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby alanoutgear » Wed 19 Feb, 2020 6:16 pm

We loved the north east of Scotland, around Torridon and further into the Loch and Brocken country. You might even see the Brocken spectre if you are in the right place at the right time. It is a sparsely populated area, and not very much travelled, but absolutely beautiful walking. Munroes too if you want them. Public transport can be an issue depending on where you want to go.
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby durks » Wed 19 Feb, 2020 8:57 pm

alanoutgear wrote:We loved the north east of Scotland, around Torridon ...

I guess you meant to write 'the north west.' The far north west of Scotland is indeed a very beautiful area.

alanoutgear wrote:... and further into the Loch and Brocken country. You might even see the Brocken spectre if you are in the right place at the right time.

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but I have never heard the term 'Brocken country' used in relation to Scotland.

The 'Brocken spectre' phenomenon is named after a peak in the Harz Mountains of Germany. Certainly though, seeing Brocken spectres in the Scottish hills is not unusual. You need to be high up on a ridge, looking down into mist, and with the sun at your back. WInter is a good time to chance upon them.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to International