One day in Switzerland- what to walk?

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

One day in Switzerland- what to walk?

Postby Robatman » Mon 31 May, 2010 10:37 am

Going to Copenhagen for a conference in a few weeks and will be able to tack on 2 nights in Switzerland, ie one full day.

Any ideas?

Last time we went to Switzerland was 7 years ago and stayed in Zermatt, and Gimmelwald (near Murren) for a few days each. Didnt do any hikes other than the trip down from the Schilthorn to the valley below- very nice.

Any ideas on a nice day walk with big vistas? (I have pretty good fitness and bushwalk experience/gear.)

As i will be by myself and wont have a phone probably thinking something not too isolated, and also hoping for a loop (though not a prioroty) as i will get a car.

Thanks for any ideas
Robert
Robatman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: One day in Switzerland- what to walk?

Postby rwfox » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi Robert
One day in Switzerland is a little short to do it justice.
However it may be worth buying a copy of Kev Reynolds, 100 hut walks in the Alp. ( http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detai ... n-the-alps).

Depending on the time of year (huts open) it is always quite pleasant walking to an alpine hut for lunch or a beer.

You could also consider spending a night at a refuge, you only need a sheet liner and tooth brush. As it stays light till quite late you would have plenty of time to enjoy the views and stillness.

Cheers Roy :)
rwfox
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Return to International