Favourite International Walks

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Favourite International Walks

Postby Viking181 » Sat 19 May, 2007 10:23 am

I would love to hear what people think are their all time favourite walks OS? Mine are Chinque Tore (Sp?) in Italy, Kilamanjaro in Tanzania, Fuji NP in Japan, Haute Route in France and later this year, try the Pilgrims Way in Spain. Any others suggested?
Cheers - Olaf
Viking181
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Fri 25 May, 2007 10:33 am

Cinque Terre. Italian for "Five Lands"
Wonderful place for the last day in Italy, then they had major floods.
We copped a bit of weather so didn't walk it, indeed one of the tracks were closed. Then there was the tourist who said "Think it will rain for the rest of the day?"
Guess he wasn't a rocket scientist. Looking up was the answer.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby Joe » Tue 29 May, 2007 11:03 pm

franz josef glacier in NZ was a real highlight for me. Then after that there was a couple of waterfalls in the caitlans area thats names escape me. The walking there is to be done in that country is phenomenal...and there is no creepy crawlies or snakes to worry about ;)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Andrew P » Tue 06 Nov, 2007 6:31 pm

We love the South Island of NZ - 'cos it's so easy to get to, and the alpine areas are great.
In fact we're heading there in January. Anyone got any favourite 3-5 day "tramps" far from the madding crowds of the Routeburn and Milford Tracks?
taswaterfalls, what did you do around Franz Josef?

But our hearts are in Nepal. The Everest Region is best in winter, when the crowds have gone and the days generally clearer, and the pit toilets have frozen! We have also trekked around Dhaulagiri I, which was quite exciting.
We'll go back.
Andrew P
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Favourite International Walks

Postby HAPPYCAMPA » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 2:14 pm

Havn't done one which isn't a favorite, first time struggle over 'Deadwoman Pass' to look at 'Fishtail', or 'Ama Dablam', Killi is out of the question, my ceiling is about 4800M, I struggled to reach Kalla Patar, even with 3 days acclimitisation, the trek closest to my heart, is the Overland. My first.
HAPPYCAMPA
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bluewombat » Mon 24 Mar, 2008 11:04 am

After Tasmania New Zealand has my favourite walks. So many to choose from....a few slightly less well known ones that I really like are the Travers Sabine circuit on northern end of the south island, the Tongariro circuit (as opposed to the 'crossing') on the North Island, and if you are going to do the Routeburn (and it really is spectacular) start off by doing the Greenstone Valley walk, which links into the Routeburn, to give a more rounded and less frenetic experience. The New Zealand hut system is out of this world and it is pretty easy to find out exactly what your hut will be like by its 'grade', lots of them have stoves and mattresses. There are oodles of other fantastic walks and the only biting things there are midges and European wasps.... but dont underestimate either of those, the midges especially can make life miserable when you are lakeside.
Attachments
travers sabine circuit 2007 069 (Small).jpg
a view of the trail leading up to the pass by Mt Travers
travers sabine circuit 2007 069 (Small).jpg (52.81 KiB) Viewed 23322 times
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NickD » Tue 08 Jul, 2008 6:42 pm

Have only done one OS hike but my trip around the Annapurna area in Nepal was amazing!!
Whilst I didn't do the circuit, we climbed up the Mardi Himal ridgeline to about 4700m to get a very close up of Macchapucchare (fish-tail) and Annapurna South.
Nepal is amazing not only for scenery but for the way of life, the style of trekking and the people you meet there.
Dhalugari we could see from afar, its a mammoth of a mountain - would love to have got closer.
Want to do Tibets Mt Kaliash circuit also.
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dashanep » Sun 08 Feb, 2009 2:48 pm

Well, I can help you with info about Kilimanjaro climb, which I will do on 20.02.2009 with World expedition . I will take Rongai Route, going for 8 days, camping, using a portes, etc..... When I come back, I will talk to you . Most new adventure for me will be a high altitude. Happy hiking.
...and always finish your destiny...
dashanep
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 09 Feb, 2009 7:21 pm

Appalachian Trail and the Shining Rock Wilderness in North Carolina. I do miss the autumn colours up there.
the_camera_poser

Re:

Postby Kainas » Thu 19 Feb, 2009 6:41 am

Andrew P wrote:In fact we're heading there in January. Anyone got any favourite 3-5 day "tramps" far from the madding crowds of the Routeburn and Milford Tracks?

The Hollyford track, and don't skip the Demon Trail (it is one of the best sections of the walk in my opinion). Reward with a rocky beach full of seals when you arrive at Martins Bay Hut.

My favourite walk is definetly a toss up between the Hollyford and the Routeburn (the Kepler was not for me at all, and the tourist operators seemed to belittle the Milford Track walkers making me glad we did not do it).
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Bwak » Mon 06 Jul, 2009 9:18 pm

#1- Goche La trek in Sikkim India
#2- Gokyo in Nepal
beautiful views!
Bwak
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby neil_fahey » Tue 15 Dec, 2009 10:24 am

I'm with Happycampa! We just spent 3 months travelling around South & Central America. The Inka Trail and Colca Canyon treks were the only real ones but they were both absolutely incredible! Of the shorter ones we did nothing could beat Volcan Pacaya in Guatemala but I guess that was less about the hike and more about getting up close and personal with FLOWING LAVA! SOOOO COOL!
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: BushwalkingBlog.com.au
Region: Victoria

Postby Lizzy » Wed 16 Dec, 2009 2:38 pm

Love NZ- recently did the Caples & Routeburn together- had planned a different tramp but too much snow & high rivers from snowmelt...anyone done Gillespie Pass & wilkins Valley? (will have to get back...) Beautiful part of the world!!! :D . Also loved Gokyo lakes & Annapurna Circuit + Sanctuary in Nepal but that was 10 years ago.... actually I think Gokyo was my favourite. For a real difference Mt Olympus in Greece was a highlight- even some snow & I had just finished island hopping!! Hmmm too many choices- definitely NZ for accessibility and eas4e to organise but I do love Asia & its hard to beat those enormous Himalyan peaks as a backdrop!
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby vorn » Sun 27 Dec, 2009 11:34 pm

daywalks
angels landing (Zion NP-USA), needles (canyonlands NP-USA), tongariro crossing (NZ)

some very cool stuff on the french island of capri and dont get me started on south america.....
vorn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby under10kg » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 2:27 pm

Anyone got any favourite 3-5 day "tramps" far from the madding crowds of the Routeburn and Milford Tracks?

Mt Aspiring area is a great area to walk in and you avoid the people. Mt Aspiring hut must be one of the nicest huts arround.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Turfa » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 6:27 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:Appalachian Trail and the Shining Rock Wilderness in North Carolina. I do miss the autumn colours up there.

Yep, some beautiful places on the AT & it is wonderful walking somewhere with real seasons. The most amazing thing about the AT though is its sheer length.....it is an incredible experience spending 4 months in the bush (woods ???)
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby vladaus » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 6:55 pm

we did everest base camp and annapurna trek in January 2010 with prem from Mountain Hawk Trekking .which was absolutely first class. In fact, we are already planing our next holiday with Prem. We also love Nepal.
vladaus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby journeyman » Mon 04 Oct, 2010 8:24 pm

If I was to put the top walks up there for me they would be

1. HuayHuash in Peru
2. Torres Del Paine in Chille
3. Annapurna in Nepal
4. Fryatt in Canada
5. Drakensberg in South Africa
6. Camino del Santiago in France and Spain

All awesome for their own special reasons with the first three being in a league of their own for sheer awesomeness.

Four days in on the HuayHuash in Peru
journeyman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby iandsmith » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 1:12 pm

Mmmm, where I've been really doesn't qualify compared to what some of you guys have done but, nevertheless, I have to say when I think of walks that I've done it's hard not to recall Santiero Degli Dei (Path of the Gods). I actually thought I'd already uploaded it here but it seems not.
Anyhow, I'd been to Positano before and heard about the path but didn't have the time to do it. Next trip to Italy it was high on my hit list and I lucked out with the weather. Getting to Bomerano was a little tricky. First a bus to Amalfi and then another to Bomerano. The driver had no idea where the trail was but there were other hikers doing a different trail that knew where the start was and I stumbled across it (it's well marked when you get there) and was on my way.
4 1/2 hours later I was in awe of what I'd just seen. Stunning sea views, ancient buildings, ancient life styles (still collecting wood with mules) and an experience I'll take with me to the grave. Leave you with some pics.
Cheers all.
Attachments
mod19.JPG
About half way
mod19.JPG (218.74 KiB) Viewed 21180 times
mod5.JPG
Tough for the mules
mod5.JPG (261.07 KiB) Viewed 21180 times
mod20.JPG
mod20.JPG (233.17 KiB) Viewed 21180 times
mod29.JPG
Nearing Positano
mod29.JPG (208.79 KiB) Viewed 21180 times
mod19 (2).JPG
Classic trail
mod19 (2).JPG (247.3 KiB) Viewed 21180 times
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby AndyP » Fri 24 Dec, 2010 12:18 pm

I've really only walked OS in Europe, but my favourites were:
- Laugavegur walk in Iceland (5 days)
- The Bochette Alta in the Dolomites (a 4 day via ferrata - so not strictly a hiking style walk)
- Uhro K Kekkonnen national park in Finnish lapland (as close to wilderness as I found in Europe)
- The Camino de Santiago is pretty amazing too but for very different reasons
- and for day walks, the Black Cullin on the Isle of Skye are hard to beat - probably the best day walk in the UK.
AndyP
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Whits » Wed 12 Jan, 2011 3:27 pm

Rush Lake Trek in Nagyr, Pakistan
Langtang, Gosikund, Helambu, Ganja La loop in Nepal

Just finished a Four month trip through Pakistan and Nepal which was amazing. Especially solo trekking in Pakistan.
Whits
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby frenchy_84 » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 1:10 pm

its a half day easy walk full or tourists but Plitvice lakes in croatia is worth it. Same with Grindelwald valley in Switzerland and everywhere around Bled in Slovenia
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby doogs » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 7:12 pm

Coming from Scotland I'm with AndyP, the Cuillins on the Isle of Skye are a magic place. Being on the west coast the weather is awful most of the time, but if you time it well you can have awesome weather, and if you time it really well.... there wont be an Poms!
Trollheim in Norway was probably my favourite overseas trip from Scotland. Sailing from Scotland, a weeks hiking in mid summer with heaps of snow, and then back across the north sea.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Turkeybaster614 » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 1:20 pm

Has to be the Southern Island in NZ - breathtaking scenery and the wildlife was out of this world!
Turkeybaster614
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 2:06 pm

i haven't done heaps overseas - so many here to do! but i have done a section of Hannibals' Pass in the French Alps with old ruins nearby to explore etc different history to Australia... :)
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby The ghost who walks » Tue 30 Aug, 2011 7:56 pm

Apart from N.Z. that a lot of people has suggested, I have three walks in Europe as my favorites to date ( from south to north):
1. GR20 in Corsica, fabulous mountain scenery, sharp peaks, exhausting climbs.
2. Jotunheimen, Norway, spectacular area full of mountains, glaciers and lakes.
3. Kungsleden, Swedish Lapland, the biggest wilderness in Europe by far, also gives you a chance to walk under the midnight sun.
The downside of 24hr daylight is that if you camp next to a popular track, you might get woken up by walkers stomping past your tent at two in the morning!
The ghost who walks
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby donktec » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm with happycampa, plus: there are no wrong answers!
Just back from a trek in the Rwenzori mountains in Uganda. (no, they spell it without a 'u' for some reason)
Had a white christmas in Africa - at 4500m :) Glaciers near the equator; jungle, mud, about 6 porters per trekker makes it feel like an expedition.
A week at altitude plus the fun of travelling in East Africa, local cultures, transport. It's off the beaten track, if that appeals. (must plug Rwenzori Trekking Services, well organised and very competent guides.
More pics at: https://picasaweb.google.com/donktec69/MtStanleyRwenzoris?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPzr7969hpDrTA&feat=directlink
donktec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby kymboy » Fri 20 Jan, 2012 6:36 am

the Mountains of the Moon (Rwenzoris) - such an evocative name. And Uganda is such a beautiful country.
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roysta » Fri 20 Jan, 2012 4:08 pm

A walk and a climb but this is a special place.
Hiking up from La Mucuy to Laguna Coromoto and Laguna Verde, then up through the Chumahoma moraine to Pico Bolivar (4980m) Venezuela's highest peak.
It's a straight forward rock climbing effort to the summit and abseilling most of the way down.
Highly recommended, and even better if you include Pico Humboldt (4940m), which has Venezuela's only remaining permanent glacier (very small).
Attachments
Resize of 511.JPG
On the summit of Pico Bolivar, Venezuela January 2011
Resize of 511.JPG (89.17 KiB) Viewed 18805 times
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Re:

Postby wayno » Sat 21 Jan, 2012 4:43 am

Kainas wrote:
Andrew P wrote:In fact we're heading there in January. Anyone got any favourite 3-5 day "tramps" far from the madding crowds of the Routeburn and Milford Tracks?

The Hollyford track, and don't skip the Demon Trail (it is one of the best sections of the walk in my opinion). Reward with a rocky beach full of seals when you arrive at Martins Bay Hut.

My favourite walk is definetly a toss up between the Hollyford and the Routeburn (the Kepler was not for me at all, and the tourist operators seemed to belittle the Milford Track walkers making me glad we did not do it).

DOC huts and campsites are overloaded on the hollyford in summer
don't knock the milford till you've tried it, you could do a lot worse, if you get going early you can have a lot of the track to yourself, the waterfalls are something else. not many places you can get under a waterfall like sutherland falls.
i found most of the people walking the milford to be nice. avoid xmas new year, if you want to avoid too many kids.

keplers one of my favs with the mountain ridge top walk and views in good weather.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Next

Return to International