Via Alpina, Red Route, Trieste to Oberstdorf (Europe)

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Via Alpina, Red Route, Trieste to Oberstdorf (Europe)

Postby rcaffin » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi all

Went light-weight. My pack ~9 kg, Sue's about 7 kg, complete. Light-weight joggers of course. Seven weeks actual walking. Back some days ago.

Alpine walking route, serious (and I mean serious!) limestone country - a lot of it being the Dolomites and surrounds. Lots of scree. Mainly using huts. Tried camping but nearly lost my tent when the winds gusted over 150 kph. Got blocked by recent 30+ cm snow fall near the end and had to retreat, but that was the only time.

Hardest day was to Meilar Hutte: up 3,000 m and down 1,500 m that day. Well, not counting the day we retreated. :-)
You don't count km, just metres.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Via Alpina, Red Route, Trieste to Oberstdorf (Europe)

Postby Tony » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 1:45 pm

rcaffin wrote:Hi all

Went light-weight. My pack ~9 kg, Sue's about 7 kg, complete. Light-weight joggers of course. Seven weeks actual walking. Back some days ago.

Alpine walking route, serious (and I mean serious!) limestone country - a lot of it being the Dolomites and surrounds. Lots of scree. Mainly using huts. Tried camping but nearly lost my tent when the winds gusted over 150 kph. Got blocked by recent 30+ cm snow fall near the end and had to retreat, but that was the only time.

Hardest day was to Meilar Hutte: up 3,000 m and down 1,500 m that day. Well, not counting the day we retreated. :-)
You don't count km, just metres.

Cheers

Welocme back,

I and I think a few others on BA would love to see some photos of this trip.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to International