Places to eat at Mount Victoria

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Places to eat at Mount Victoria

Postby davidmorr » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 12:12 pm

I have occasionally stopped at the pub on the corner at Mount Victoria (Blue Mountains) for a meal on my way to and from trips.

Last time, a couple of months ago, it had changed hands and the food was pretty ordinary. So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest anywhere with reasonable food at Mount Victoria or down the road towards Jenolan Caves.

I'll be getting there via Bells Line of Road, so maybe places along there might be possibilities too.

Thanks
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Places to eat at Mount Victoria

Postby johnw » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 1:18 pm

Can't really give much advice on Mt Vic. but I have used a couple of nice deli-style places nearby in Govetts Leap Rd Blackheath just off the highway (Blackheath Deli and Altitude I think), if you don't mind a side trip. Neither has much seating though. Forum member Fat Canyoner's blog has a "Good Grub Guide" including the Upper Blue Mountains, Bells Line of Rd etc. It even has a star rating system and contact phone numbers! Here are the links:

http://fatcanyoners.org/good-grub-guide/

http://fatcanyoners.org/good-grub-guide/upper-blue-mountains/

http://fatcanyoners.org/good-grub-guide/bells-line-hawkesbury-putty/
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby melinda » Thu 10 Nov, 2011 8:41 am

The petrol station at Mt Vic serves food until quite late.
Better than nothing if you are starving after a canyon or a walk!
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby FatCanyoner » Thu 10 Nov, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks for the plug John!
I have only been to the Imperial at Mt Vic once since it changed hands, and it was only a couple weeks after they took over. My experience was of very fast service and quite reasonable food (the Imperial has always been at the cheaper / nastier end of the food market, but is good for the price and comes with a coal fire in winter!) My view was it was better than the old management. I'm not sure if it has gone downhill since then.
Mt Vic is pretty poor for food. There was a place that use to do a great devonshire tea, but it is now closed. Another cafe down the road is good for a coffee, but not great for much else. Melinda is right about the servo, but you have to be pretty desperate. My advice is just keep driving to Blackheath or Katoomba where you can get plenty of great feeds.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby davidmorr » Sun 13 Nov, 2011 9:41 pm

I ended up having lunch at the Imperial on Friday. I suspect how you find their food depends on what meal you have. Some friends had burgers and a "hotpot" (ceramic bowl filled with pie filling and topped with puff pastry) and reported them very nice. I had a vegetarian risotto and found it a bit stodgy with the rice a bit crunchy (ie, not properly cooked). Last time I had a lamb shank and I remember not being very impressed.

The cafe down the road you mentioned might be Pico Deli. The Victoria and Albert guesthouse had a cafe which it advertises in large letters is open for lunch, but it wasn't.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Mon 14 Nov, 2011 8:16 am

I think you're spot on David. I always try to go with the more traditional pub meals, because they are pretty hard to stuff up (and if you're cook cant even manage a good chicken parmi / steak / pie you won't be in business long)!
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Return to New South Wales & ACT