Tops to Myall Heritage Trail

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Tops to Myall Heritage Trail

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Sat 15 Aug, 2020 11:23 am

Hi,
Does anyone have recent information about campsites along this trail. I have read the Pacy booklet so I would be interested in the current state of the campsites suggested there.
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Outdoor therapy » Sat 15 Aug, 2020 10:18 pm

Mullaitivu_83 wrote:Hi,
Does anyone have recent information about campsites along this trail. I have read the Pacy booklet so I would be interested in the current state of the campsites suggested there.

I have recently stayed at the first 2 campsites, (Wombat Creek Campground and Munro Hut). These are well maintained as they are part of Barrington National Park. Once you get on to night 3 and onwards you are out of the National Park and into state forestry area. I don’t know about the state of these campsites but I’m guessing they aren’t maintained very well. Me and my mate are looking at completing this whole track hopefully one day soon. So I would be interested to know if anyone has any recent info on the campsites too. I will be down in Barrington Tops next weekend so I might check out a couple of campsites if I have the time.
Outdoor therapy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Mon 17 Aug, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi,
I have since found a reference on a 4WD site to a possible campsite at a ford on the Karuah River. I have not visited the campsite. Its location is 56H LK 82991 42590.

I’ll keep you posted as to further information.
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Midcoast » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 8:13 pm

Hi all,
I've posted before and have been keeping a keen eye on the interest in Tops to Myall walk, and those that have been doing it piece by piece.
I too want to see it back,
I've started a local Fcbk group called 'Great Lakes Adventures'.
I'd welcome anyone to join, and
As a way to kick off an organised walk/reccie of this heritage trail, is my plan to combine it with Oxfam 100km challenge, raises money to boot.
I was thinking 4x weeks of a one day 20km walk.
I'd like any input from those that have done sections (I have walked the bottom sections and 4x4 from Buladelah and up from Gloucester, till I took wrong turn)
Check out and send msgs to Great Lakes Adventures FB page
Thanks in advance.
Midcoast
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Midcoast Adventures, Pacific Palms SUP

Postby JulieDorb » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 8:32 am

Hi there, new poster here. I heard about this trail a few years ago and was sent some notes by John Daly of Take A Walk Publications. Certainly on the wish list to give this a go and thanks all for the info including acquiring PDF of the original booklet. Happy trails.
JulieDorb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 11:58 am

Hi JulieDorb,
Nice to hear from you. The TtMHT needs your love!

IMHO there are two priority issues: clarity on vehicular access to points midway along the TtMHT; and accommodation along the trail, including campsites. The first issue is important because if there are accessible points midway then their existence should be made known so people can enjoy the trail at their convenience: the end points might not be convenient for some people but some midway points might be convenient. The second issue is important for the same reason: accommodation at the end points might not be suitable for some people but accommodation at midway points might be suitable. The two issues are connected.

I will try to a reccie of the segment from Myall Lakes to Buladhela in a fortnight’s time and report back.
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 1:26 pm

Going as far as Little River (from Myall end) in the nearish future with a group of friends, then will complete the trail in a further 2 sections this year with the aim of doing it in its entirety in one push the following year.

There is an updated gpx file including reroutes which eliminate need for head scratching that has deterred so many of us (myself included) in the past from attempting more than just the start or finish of it. Meredith Quinlan and Jess Baker ran (!) it all a few months back after doing all the hard work of solving issues with the trails continuity. Meredith has shared the link in another thread, but I will repost it here.
https://fastestknowntime.com/route/myal ... -australia

Just note that recent storms here have seen vehicular access to the Corker Trail (the start at the Barrington end) closed. For walkers, this may be worked around by walking Rocky Crossing Track to then join onto the Corker, a very beautiful 7.5km addition anyway.
NPWS site lists the Corker end of Rocky Crossing Trail as being closed, however, I would think that there are just likely to be trees over that may need crawling over/under/through and as there is no vehicular access to it, it may just be listed as closed. Was going to walk it myself today to confirm, but had errands to do out of town, so will get to it in the next week or two instead. Wombat Creek is still a functional campsite as NPWS has confirmed it may be accessed either via the Link Trail or Aeroplane Hill etc from the Junction Pools side.
Ms_Mudd
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 1:31 pm

Mullaitivu_83 wrote:Hi JulieDorb,
clarity on vehicular access to points midway along the TtMHT; The first issue is important because if there are accessible points midway then their existence should be made known so people can enjoy the trail at their convenience: the end points might not be convenient for some people but some midway points might be convenient.

Hopefully the gpx file helps you on that front. Using it, my friends and I were able to work out convenient drop off/pick up points for our 3 sections of the trail. They may not work for everyone, but for us they were logical given our residences/time constraints/distances to be walked etc. Zooming in or overlaying the gpx file onto something like alltrails app/website was very helpful in working out water collection points too.
Ms_Mudd

Postby JulieDorb » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 8:00 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
Mullaitivu_83 wrote:Hi JulieDorb,
clarity on vehicular access to points midway along the TtMHT; The first issue is important because if there are accessible points midway then their existence should be made known so people can enjoy the trail at their convenience: the end points might not be convenient for some people but some midway points might be convenient.

Hopefully the gpx file helps you on that front. Using it, my friends and I were able to work out convenient drop off/pick up points for our 3 sections of the trail. They may not work for everyone, but for us they were logical given our residences/time constraints/distances to be walked etc. Zooming in or overlaying the gpx file onto something like alltrails app/website was very helpful in working out water collection points too.

Lovely to hear that others are interested and really appreciate the help and resources. It’s a little in the future (currently a bit more than half way through working our way to walk from Pacific Palms to Bulahdelah!). I’ll watch for news.
JulieDorb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 02 Feb, 2021 9:27 am

sounds fun JulieDorb, you will have some serious km's on your legs by the end of your trip.
I will check back in here after section one is complete to let you know if our plans panned out as well as we hoped.
Ms_Mudd

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 23 Feb, 2021 8:28 pm

Back from a very soggy first instalment. 24ish km from Korsmans heading towards the Tops. Relied heavily on Meredith Quinlan/Jess Bakers gpx files overlaid on OSM for navigation, their re routes were necessary to avoid private property and get under the Pacific Highway. Short detour from underpass to a servo for a coffee - noice.
Some markers still in evidence after crossing under highway, nil intact before then.
Ms_Mudd

Previous

Return to New South Wales & ACT