Greymare Hut to Valentines Hut - The Short Way

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Greymare Hut to Valentines Hut - The Short Way

Postby glenpandrews » Sat 27 Nov, 2021 11:50 am

Howdy Folks,

There used to be a track from GM Hut to Valentines Hut straight up Back Flat Creek and Valentines Creek. Still marked on the map. It’s shorter by 2km than the well trodden track I usually take. Does anyone know if this short/direction track is still there and visible?

Heading that way next week.

Cheers

Glen
glenpandrews
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Greymare Hut to Valentines Hut - The Short Way

Postby crollsurf » Sat 27 Nov, 2021 12:13 pm

I had planned to go that way last week as well but was advised against it by someone who has spent many decades out that way. From Valentine Hut to the top of the falls is OK but getting down to the bottom of the falls is apparently sketchy/hard. I'd imagine after that it should be fine but no first hand experience I'm afraid.
valentine falls.jpg
Valentine Falls and Back Flat Creek from Valentine Fire Trail
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby glenpandrews » Sat 27 Nov, 2021 12:24 pm

Thanks mate. I found some other comments in a thread here topic “Track down beside Valentine Falls KNP” which has some differing views.
I did a true epic bush bash from pretty plain hut in to the back of Greymare Hut back in March on a track that was supposed to be there… so just being a bit cautious.
Thanks again :)
glenpandrews
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Zapruda » Sat 27 Nov, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi Glen,

The track below the falls to Grey Mare is all but gone. It’s still ‘there’ in some parts but mostly obscured by scrub. It’s just as quick to follow the fire trail.

The track above Grey Mare to Pretty Plain was the old Strumbo Ft. What a fantastic way to join two parts of the park. Unfortunately, as you experienced, it’s all but gone as well. I make that crossing over the range at least once a year. 5 years ago it was a lot better. The bush grows quickly!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GBW » Sat 27 Nov, 2021 1:58 pm

It may be 2k shorter but will probably take just as long. I walked down to falls and back a few years back. The first half was ok but became a mass of fallen trees towards the bottom. With a pack it would be difficult going up.

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Out_Walking » Sat 27 Nov, 2021 2:47 pm

below_valentines.jpg

I tend to think most things are doable if you've got the time and prepared for the effort :) Came from the bottom of Valentine Falls to Valentines Hut in January 2019. Slow going and took roughly 1hr 45m from bottom to the hut? The occasional cairn at the bottom, but soon turns into a bit of a slog with a lot of fallen trees. I found sections like this pic being real ankle snappers if not careful. Managed to get through it and whether it's really hard or not is generally subjective anyway :)
Out_Walking
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby glenpandrews » Sat 27 Nov, 2021 6:52 pm

Wow, great photos folks, thanks! I reckon I’ll do the track some time, but when the group of people and time available is right. Which is not this time (next week). Even the Old Strumbo would like to do that again, now knowing what I’m in for. The track is actually quite clear in many places on the ground. But the scrub is dense and often 8ft tall. Thanks for your replies, this time, I’ll take the well worn trail. Cheers :)
glenpandrews
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ang » Tue 30 Nov, 2021 9:59 pm

My partner and I went this way during our Kiandra to Kozzi walk at the start of the year. As mentioned above, its a serious scrub bash for most of it. There is a faint foot pad that comes and goes along the Back Flat creek between Grey Mare Trail and the Geehi River junction. I'm not sure if we lost the track but it then turned into a hellish slog through that hookerai bush (or whatever that alpine heath scrub is called) as you approach the falls. The climb up from the falls continues this theme but throw in a sprinkling of fallen trees to up n under. We honestly wondered if we were just off an established foot pad the whole time and doing it the hard way but it's nice to see everyone else has had similar experiences. From the top of the falls it was happy days as we found the footpad to Valentine Hut which is well defined and lovely walking. It's a good area to walk but definitely not quicker and requires a lot of scrambling, bashing, huffing and puffing.
ang
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ang » Tue 30 Nov, 2021 9:59 pm

My partner and I went this way during our Kiandra to Kozzi walk at the start of the year. As mentioned above, its a serious scrub bash for most of it. There is a faint foot pad that comes and goes along the Back Flat creek between Grey Mare Trail and the Geehi River junction. I'm not sure if we lost the track but it then turned into a hellish slog through that hookerai bush (or whatever that alpine heath scrub is called) as you approach the falls. The climb up from the falls continues this theme but throw in a sprinkling of fallen trees to up n under. We honestly wondered if we were just off an established foot pad the whole time and doing it the hard way but it's nice to see everyone else has had similar experiences. From the top of the falls it was happy days as we found the footpad to Valentine Hut which is well defined and lovely walking. It's a good area to walk but definitely not quicker and requires a lot of scrambling, bashing, huffing and puffing.
ang
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 03 Dec, 2021 11:54 am

I have walked from Valentine's hut down to the falls on Valentine Creek. It was a
bit overgrown but not too bad. That was a couple of years ago. The Bush grows back quickly. NPWS do not maintain many former access routes any longer. They get burnt , they grow back and that is the end of the matter.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 03 Dec, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 03 Dec, 2021 1:09 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I have walked from Valentine's hut down to the falls on Valentine Creek. It was bit overgrown but not too bad. That was a couple of years ago. The Bush grows back quickly. NPWS do not maintain many former access routes any longer. They get burnt , they grow back and that is the end of the matter.

I think the issue is downstream from the falls, which yes is rather scrubby, but still worthwhile (preferable to the fire trail IMO).
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 1:52 pm

It used to be OK, and we have done it a few times some years ago.
But that fallen timber . . . no thanks!
The FT over the top was not that bad: nice views and a gentle ramp down. Not a problem.

Cheers
Roger
PS: the Strumbo FT - a very sad loss, that one.
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT