Main range passable and navigable, snow?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Main range passable and navigable, snow?

Postby glenpandrews » Wed 01 Dec, 2021 3:24 pm

Howdy Folks,
I am due to walk the main range tomorrow from Charlottes Pass the The Granites, then on to Grey Mare hut and back again finishing at Guthega.
Does anyone know if the main range is currently passable and navigable with respect to snow coverage and track visibility? I was expecting patches and drifts, but not a blanket cover. Brother is driving down right now and can see a bit of snow up there from quite a distance away.
Cheers
Glen
glenpandrews
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Main range passable and navigable, snow?

Postby Avatar » Wed 01 Dec, 2021 4:04 pm

Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby glenpandrews » Wed 01 Dec, 2021 4:51 pm

Good idea, why didn't I think of that!
I also managed to get through to national parks and they say ppl are currently walking it OK.
So all good :) Exciting to have a bit of snow up there!
glenpandrews
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 03 Dec, 2021 3:51 pm

I would have preferred to have bene permitted to XC ski out to Carruthers Peak from Charlotte Pass in mid October and at Perisher in early September but the plague and the restrictions were still severe at that time.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Stew63 » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 6:31 pm

MainRange forecast for snow this Thurs 9th and Fri 10th Dec. with 50kmh SSE winds. Was planning on heading out with the daughter from the 10th for a few days :(... for *&^%$# sake! Was to be my first trip anywhere outside Melb. in 22months.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Zapruda » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 8:49 pm

Stew63 wrote:MainRange forecast for snow this Thurs 9th and Fri 10th Dec. with 50kmh SSE winds. Was planning on heading out with the daughter from the 10th for a few days :(... for *&^%$# sake! Was to be my first trip anywhere outside Melb. in 22months.

It’s a big national park. Forget the main range and enjoy some time in the sub alpine where it’s a little more protected. Plenty of options to keep you busy.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 1:07 pm

Do the Round Mtn. loop . Start at Round Mtn. , cross the Tumut River first and then slog it up Farm Ridge. Drop down to Bogong Creek and camp at O ' Keefe's hut. Day 2 head for Dershko's hut and set up camp there. If the weather is behaving itself then you can take a day pack and visit the summit of Mt. Jagungal.
Day 3 complete the loop by walking out over the Toolong range on the fire trail back to Round Mtn.

OR

If the weather is feral you can leave the car at the Guthega Power station and walk up the Muniyang Valley and camp at White's River hut and on day 2 head for Valentine's hut the next day. Day 3
You can return via The Aqueduct and camp at Horse Camp hut. The last day is a quick downhill walk back to the car.

Watch out for march flies.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 1:43 pm

Stew63 wrote:MainRange forecast for snow this Thurs 9th and Fri 10th Dec. with 50kmh SSE winds. Was planning on heading out with the daughter from the 10th for a few days :(... for *&^%$# sake! Was to be my first trip anywhere outside Melb. in 22months.

I'd still go. Saturday and Sunday look OK and Monday even better. Friday may well be OK but a bit windy. Walking in the Snow gum forests up there, in the cloud and rain is pretty cool.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Stew63 » Wed 08 Dec, 2021 8:12 pm

Still going ahead at this stage - we have a PlanA, PlanB, PlanC or Abort. Not worried about turning back if need be.
A baptism of fire for my 22yr old daughter - but she's tough a nails.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 08 Dec, 2021 8:29 pm

I have been up on Mt. Abbott in a summer white out. If it wasn't for the GPS I would still be out there :-0.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Thu 09 Dec, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 08 Dec, 2021 9:33 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The Rolling ground can be a bad place to encounter poor weather.If the weather forecast looks iffy then I would avoid that area.

Have you been on the Rolling Ground in good or bad weather? People like to repeat this advice but in all my experience I can’t see how the Rolling Ground is any more challenging to navigate in poor vis than anywhere else in the immediate area. If you can nav, you can cross the RG in any conditions. This fear mongering in the wider bushwalking community is frustrating.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Thu 09 Dec, 2021 5:11 am

I have to agree with Zapruda. I've crossed the Rolling Grounds in everything bar full-on snowstorm, and as long as you pay attention it's OK. Plus there are places to hunker down and wait it out if you do get confused.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby rcaffin » Fri 10 Dec, 2021 6:51 pm

The Rolling Grounds in bad weather - I suspect the origins of the evil rep are more to do with high winds and cold temps in the snow and poor clothing compared to what is available today. The stories are mainly about the freezing winds.

Yes, we have been across TRG in bad weather, and in the snow. Mind you, being on snow has certain advantages: you can stop anywhere, stamp out a tent site, get the tent up and dive inside. Yeah, you need a good tunnel tent, but there are plenty in Oz (unlike America).

My worst (or most stupid) effort was camping on the Mt Anton saddle in a 100 kph storm in a total white-out. We should have retreated back down into Pound Creek, but we didn't. Fell over the big cornice the next morning, still in the storm. Well, I fell through it because I couldn't see it and it collapsed. Sue was left on top getting the full blast of the wind, and getting cold, so she jumped.

Bottom line: you need good clothing up there, anywhere.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 11 Dec, 2021 7:41 am

Ouch.
Feel for you on that one, Roger. I've had a snow camp there but in beautiful calm conditions after crossing the Rolling Grounds and Granite Peaks in thick fog. Cleared out overnight and was just perfect for the next three days.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Stew63 » Tue 14 Dec, 2021 7:12 pm

Just returned to Melb from Main Range with my 22yr old daughter last night. Good trip after the weather cleared on Sat. morning. CharlottesPass-Kosi-Wilkinsons-Abotts-Townsend-Senital-WatsonsCrags-Charlottes - clockwise due weather. 2xferal deer in the upper Wilkinson Valley and a large dead wild dog near The Sentinal. MainRange track quite busy with punters but Wilkinson Valley and anywhere else off track was just deserted. Explored the Abbotts, Sentinal, Watson Crags. Still lots of long, extensive snow drifts to cross - but easy. Camped by the 'pond' next to Hannels Track crossing (WIlkinsonV) and then The Sentinel. Would have loved another night but had to get back to Melb by 7:00pm.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT