Is this Colo?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Is this Colo?

Postby Luke001 » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 9:01 am

Hi All, I’ve been watching some of Scotty’s Gone Walkabout stuff and came across this. https://youtu.be/1auOXjcsYSI

Looks like a beautiful area. Im thinking maybe upper Colo but not sure. Would anyone know where this is I’d love to visit the area.

Cheers, Luke
Luke001
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Is this Colo?

Postby Xplora » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 5:15 pm

Luke001 wrote:Hi All, I’ve been watching some of Scotty’s Gone Walkabout stuff and came across this. https://youtu.be/1auOXjcsYSI

Looks like a beautiful area. Im thinking maybe upper Colo but not sure. Would anyone know where this is I’d love to visit the area.

Cheers, Luke

Honestly, if you know where this is you should think twice about telling everyone. Clearly people know about it but we don't need it overrun. Good job he doesn't disclose it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Luke001 » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 6:36 pm

I just hike by myself or with my wife. I promise I wont over run the area or post to social media. Happy to get a PM or joining someone thats willing to have me along. Just trying to find some interesting new places to go. Cheers, Luke.
Luke001
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Allchin09 » Fri 27 Jan, 2023 12:58 pm

I could be wrong and I only watched a minute or so, but doesn't look like the Colo River too me. Too narrow. Nice creek though, does have a 'Wollemi' feel to it but could be elsewhere in the sandstone country.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby Luke001 » Fri 27 Jan, 2023 4:28 pm

Yep I think you’re correct.
Luke001
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby emydura » Sat 28 Jan, 2023 6:18 am

Luke001 wrote:I just hike by myself or with my wife. I promise I wont over run the area or post to social media. Happy to get a PM or joining someone thats willing to have me along. Just trying to find some interesting new places to go. Cheers, Luke.

I watched that video previously and wondered myself exactly where he was. I even wrote a comment asking for the location but got no reply. I find it bizarre that he would make such a lengthy video and not given any indication where he is walking. Not even a general location.

I thought it might have been up in the Newnes/Glen Davis area. If you are looking for a similar walk, you could go to Newnes and walk down the Wolgan River to where it meets the Capertee River from where you walk upstream to Glen Davis. At Glen Davis, take the Pipeline Track back to Newnes. Probably about 6 days. Most of the walk is trackless, like in the video. I have yet to do it myself, but hope to in the next year or so.
emydura
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sat 28 Jan, 2023 8:14 am

emydura wrote:
Luke001 wrote:I just hike by myself or with my wife. I promise I wont over run the area or post to social media. Happy to get a PM or joining someone thats willing to have me along. Just trying to find some interesting new places to go. Cheers, Luke.

I watched that video previously and wondered myself exactly where he was. I even wrote a comment asking for the location but got no reply. I find it bizarre that he would make such a lengthy video and not given any indication where he is walking. Not even a general location.

I thought it might have been up in the Newnes/Glen Davis area. If you are looking for a similar walk, you could go to Newnes and walk down the Wolgan River to where it meets the Capertee River from where you walk upstream to Glen Davis. At Glen Davis, take the Pipeline Track back to Newnes. Probably about 6 days. Most of the walk is trackless, like in the video. I have yet to do it myself, but hope to in the next year or so.
I've thought about that exact route..... sounds great but reckon there'd be a lot of quicksand?

Re not disclosing locations, I think it's appropriate not to for sensitive areas like that featured in the video....he could disclose the general area or NP maybe but then it wouldn't take much to figure out (for some at least). I actually admire the responsibility of not doing so as I'm sure, as content makers, they could beef up their audience by turning it into a track note of sorts (can imagine incorporation of map graphics etc). It is possible to go too far with the non-disclosure thing. . not everywhere is sensitive, unknown and/or likely to get trampled if featured, but that's a judgement call and would prefer that they err on the side of discretion.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby emydura » Sat 28 Jan, 2023 9:35 am

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:
emydura wrote:

I've thought about that exact route..... sounds great but reckon there'd be a lot of quicksand?

Re not disclosing locations, I think it's appropriate not to for sensitive areas like that featured in the video....he could disclose the general area or NP maybe but then it wouldn't take much to figure out (for some at least). I actually admire the responsibility of not doing so as I'm sure, as content makers, they could beef up their audience by turning it into a track note of sorts (can imagine incorporation of map graphics etc). It is possible to go too far with the non-disclosure thing. . not everywhere is sensitive, unknown and/or likely to get trampled if featured, but that's a judgement call and would prefer that they err on the side of discretion.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Yes, I believe quicksand is all part of the fun. :)

I am not sure I would call this area 'sensitive'. The track is basically the riverbed (sand and rocks). I am not sure walkers would do a lot damage. Especially, when you consider the destructive impacts of flooding every time there is heavy rain. The river corridor would have evolved to handle regular heavy disturbance. I guess it is a wilderness area and you don't want lots of people down there. But let's face it, this is tough walking which most people would find unpleasant. This is only going to appeal to a certain breed of walker, who by their very nature, are not destructive.
emydura
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Luke001 » Sat 28 Jan, 2023 1:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like it could be a good run. I’ll have to have a look at it. I doubt my legs would be keen on more than two days of river bed walking though lol.

I kinda agree with Scotty keeping some of his locations private. I know we don’t need masses of people descending on untracked wilderness but we have pretty short lives and it can be difficult to find interesting places to explore. So going off other people past experience is going to be the best way to find these out, I think. And I’d hope that people who have a keen interest and are part of a group such as this would also know how to respect these areas we admire. So while I think it’s actually a good thing they are kept off large platform social media, I think it’s also reasonable to share some, tips, suggestions and approximate location advice on a dedicated group like this?
Luke001
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bron » Sat 28 Jan, 2023 9:32 pm

Looks like a river further north than the Colo.
The Colo and all of its tributaries I have walked in have much bigger cliffs than in the video.
I'm not sure that the area is wilderness though, given there is a *&%$#! big coal mine just upsteam!
Bron
Bron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Luke001 » Sat 28 Jan, 2023 10:23 pm

Thanks Bron. I just did some reading on the mines. Pretty sad that was allowed. Will have to look for some side creeks to fill up at maybe.

Much appreciated, Luke.
Luke001
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rcaffin » Sun 29 Jan, 2023 8:51 am

Honestly, if you know where this is you should think twice about telling everyone. Clearly people know about it but we don't need it overrun. Good job he doesn't disclose it.

I totally agree!

There is the added danger that if you get newbies trying to go there (or other difficult places), some will get into trouble and then there will be demands for 4WD access for rescue. Thin end of the wedge. Best to never create the risk in the first place.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby micmar22 » Tue 28 Feb, 2023 8:34 pm

Luke001 wrote:Hi All, I’ve been watching some of Scotty’s Gone Walkabout stuff and came across this. https://youtu.be/1auOXjcsYSI

Cheers, Luke

It's definitely not the Colo.
I just did a 7 day trip down the Capertee and Colo Rivers from the Coorangooba Campsite at Glen Davis to Colo Meroo.
Mic
micmar22
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT