Overnight bushwalk suggestions for my Scouts

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Overnight bushwalk suggestions for my Scouts

Postby tgdavies » Wed 14 Dec, 2022 9:41 pm

I am looking for suitable overnight hikes for my Scout Unit. These are 11 to 14 year olds, so the point of the bushwalks is to get them comfortable in packing the right gear, sleeping in the bush, and cooking their own food. I don't want to push their endurance too much.

I'm prepared to purify water (or get them to carry enough if necessary). I'm not prepared to teach them to poo in the bush at this point, so campsites with toilets are necessary.

I want the walks to be around 10km total distance, (circuits, point to point and out and back are all fine) with public transport access at both ends, say less than an hour from Central.

My level of training doesn't allow me to do any "off the beaten track" bushwalking.

So Heathcote to Waterfall via Kingfisher Pool is great. We will do Heathcote to Waterfall vi Uloola Falls next term.

I have not done a lot of overnight bushwalks myself -- Hornsby to Mt. Kuringai via Crosslands is a bit tougher than I want (I have a young Troop at the moment). I would do Galston Gorge to Mt Kuringai, but that doesn't have public transport at the start, which makes it less attractive. Out and back from Mt Kuringai to Crosslands is a possibility.

I'm sure there are a lot of possibilities I haven't thought of. I have looked at wildwalks.com

Listing my criteria:
- About 10kms total distance
- Campsite has toilets
- Public transport to start and finish
- Less than 1 hour travel time from Central

Thanks for any ideas.
tgdavies
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Overnight bushwalk suggestions for my Scouts

Postby anarresti » Wed 04 Jan, 2023 7:41 am

Hi mate, lots of options in the Blue Mountains, but they'd all fall outside your 1hr from Central requirement. The best one I can think of would be Woodford Station to Murphys Glen Campground. It's 5km each way. Think train from central would be about 1hr 20min

Likewise walks starting from Hawkesbury River station (Brooklyn) are just that little bit outside the 1hr train travel requisite. e.g., to Brooklyn Dam campground.

Also consider the coast track. At 26km it's well over your 10km, but it's not particularly hard walking, and it's well set up for public transport. Train to Cronulla, ferry to Bundeena. Then return train from Otford station. North Era campground has toilets. You'll need to book well in advance and use lots of sun protection because it's very exposed.

Good luck!
anarresti
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ndevr » Fri 06 Jan, 2023 9:07 am

A great option is Berowra Station to Mt Kuringgai Station, with sidetrip to Crosslands Camp - 13km
This is ideal for less experienced Scouts and includes a short sidetrip to the impressive Naa Badu Lookout.
The only really difficult section is the final steep km up to Mt Kuringgai Station.
Across the river from Crosslands is Windeyer Scout Camp (a wade and short swim in low tide - large glad-bag required, or organise canoe across with Manager)

There's also a Scout Camp at Pennant Hills, and you could do a number of variations, including a walk from Epping to Thornleigh, with a sidetrip to Pennant Hills Scout Camp; or an even shorter walk from Cheltenham to Pennant Hills.

Ndevr
Ndevr
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tgdavies » Wed 18 Jan, 2023 6:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! Berowra to Mt Kuringai looks good (I've done the Crosslands to Mt Kuringai section when I did Thornleigh to Mt Kuringai with my fitter brother in law -- in fact from Crosslands he went on to Cowan while I piked and went to Mt Kuringai.)

Brooklyn Dam looks good for a very easy out and back from Hawkesbury River.

What's Cowan to Hawkesbury River via Brooklyn Dam like? It seems a good distance.
tgdavies
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rcaffin » Wed 18 Jan, 2023 7:13 pm

Halfway along (C to HR) you hit a solid fire trail. After that you just keep walking. We do Cowan to HR and back by train as an easy day walk. I think we even done Berowra to HR and back by train.
Your Scouts could camp at the dam - plenty of space.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tgdavies » Fri 10 Mar, 2023 10:29 am

Thanks for the suggestion Ndevr -- nine of my Scouts and three leaders did Berowra to Mt Kuringai with a night at Crosslands last weekend, it worked very well.

IMG_6705.jpg
tgdavies
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tgdavies » Fri 10 Mar, 2023 10:55 am

I would also like some feedback on this possible route, Berowra to Cowan, camping at Ridge Top https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cowan+S ... 235453!3e2

Screenshot 2023-03-10 114816.png

I would most likely do the walk from Berowra to Cowan, as I prefer the second day to be shorter than the first.

- What are conditions like on the track?
- Google Maps says that Berkely Trail is a "Partial restricted-usage road" -- what does that mean?
- Is water resupply at Berowra Waters Ferry possible?
- Any other water resupply points? (treated or untreated)
- Any other comments?
tgdavies
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnrs » Fri 10 Mar, 2023 11:04 am

This is fine TGD
Widley used by scouts and DofE.
Water at Berowra Waters ferry and at end of road near ridge top camp
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tgdavies » Fri 10 Mar, 2023 11:55 am

Thanks for the quick reply, John.

I'm not quite clear on the location of water near Ridge Top -- is it at the end of Coreen Close?
tgdavies
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnrs » Fri 10 Mar, 2023 12:41 pm

From memory the end of turner rd.
Precise details will be in the gt Nth walk notes or ring the Kuringai Chase park office,
John
johnrs

Postby rcaffin » Sun 12 Mar, 2023 7:07 pm

For adults the Berowra to Cowan walk would be a simple day walk. For young Scouts it should be easy.
You can camp just before the ferry road, just after the road, part way along the waterfront, at the saddle above the water . . .
There are no toilets at the ridge-top campground close to Turner Rd. I don't know where the water point 'at the end of Turner Rd' might be, unless it is on private property.
I suggest you do NOT drink any of the creek water you find. Just don't! You can fill up at the public toilet beside the ferry road.

We have done that route, and some variations, many many times. But I am still a bit puzzled about the photo of two scouts walking in a major creek bed. Where was that?

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tgdavies » Mon 13 Mar, 2023 8:44 pm

tgdavies
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rcaffin » Tue 14 Mar, 2023 7:43 am

Good Lord!
Yes, I know the place, but what with COVID and the weather we have not been there for the last year.
Yeah, well, maybe putting a toilet there is a good idea. It is very popular.

Ah - in Lyrebird Gully. That makes sense. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby shavedanddangerous » Mon 20 Mar, 2023 1:32 pm

There is a new long drop toilet at Ridge Top Campground, installed August 2022. There is no water between Berowra Waters and Cowan. You could walk to the end of Turner Rd and ask a friendly local if you can borrow their garden hose I guess.

It's a steep climb up from the water to where the campground is, parts of it use metal pegs bored into the rocks - wouldn't be a problem for your average scout I guess but may not be for anyone with mobility issues.

Berkeley Trail is a fire trail used daily by runners, walkers and bushwalkers. The GNW follows part of it.
shavedanddangerous
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tgdavies » Wed 29 Mar, 2023 7:33 am

Thanks for the tips Shaved.
tgdavies
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tgdavies » Mon 26 Jun, 2023 11:04 pm

IMG_6793.JPEG

I did the Berowra to Cowan trip with my Scouts last weekend, really enjoyable. Being able to stop and take the ferry back and forth and get an ice cream was a nice novelty.

Not easy to convince everyone to stock up with 3 litres of water at Berowra Waters. Hopefully the gluggy pasta will stick in their minds!

I was expecting a freezing night, as there was no cloud cover, but it was not that bad. My knees did not appreciate the weight of my pack, so I took it pretty slowly -- it took me 2.5 hours from Ridge Top to Cowan station.

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/l8pX7Xrh ... sterMeters
tgdavies
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT