Access to yerranderie

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Access to yerranderie

Postby SamD » Tue 30 May, 2023 8:55 am

Hi there

Me and my gf are looking at camping at yerranderie and using it as a base to explore the area around kanangra in a few weeks.

The Oberon Colong Historic stock route is marked as a 4wd track, but access to 2wd in dry conditions. We have a 2wd RAV4 so we have the ground clearance but the car is not designed for any serious off roading.

Does anyone have recent experience of driving this route, and do you think our vehicle would be suitable for this road?

Thanks, and apologies if this is the wrong place for this question.
SamD
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Access to yerranderie

Postby emydura » Wed 31 May, 2023 6:59 pm

You will be right. There are no sections where you need a serious 4WD. There are a few parts where it gets a little rough, but if you take it slowly, you will fine. If there has been a lot of rain though, I would give it a miss. The roads can get a bit treacherous when wet and if the rain is heavy enough, you may be stuck at Yerranderie for a while. I went to Yerranderie last year and it rained heavily while we there. I definitely needed to put it into 4WD on the trip back.

It is a fantastic place.
emydura
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby michael_p » Wed 31 May, 2023 7:08 pm

NPWS website is currently listing the Colong Stock Route as 4wd only: https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/th ... cal-alerts.

The Colong Stock Route is a public road and whether it is open or closed is up to Wollondilly Council. There is a number on the linked page for the council that you can call to check on the road condition. I do know a guy who drove a Nissan Pintara out there years ago. Surprised he made it back but he did.

Visited Yerranderie about 10 years ago. Didn't have any issues but we were in a 4wd ute with a 2 inch lift kit. As said earlier some parts of the road would be very interesting in the wet and a 4wd would be a must. Great place to visit.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby emydura » Wed 31 May, 2023 7:25 pm

I guess there has been a lot of damaging storms since I have been there. A lot of country dirt roads in NSW are in terrible condition, especially in national parks. The road was a bit rough when I did it last year. If it has deteriorated further, then I could see why it is 4WD only. Hopefully someone can provide recent experience.

It would appear that NSW National Parks are finally starting to repair a lot of their damaged roads. Just in the last 2 weeks, access roads to Deau and Wadbilliga National Parks have opened after being closed for a couple of years.
emydura
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby SamD » Thu 01 Jun, 2023 5:32 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did look at the track on google street view, and while it didn't look too bad, the images are from 2014 and god knows what kind of state they are in now.

I will try to call that council number, I tried the Kanangra parks office but no one answered.

I think I may end up having to give it a miss unless it is really dry.

Thanks
SamD
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnrs » Thu 01 Jun, 2023 7:03 pm

Sam you will be fine in a Rav, just go slow, still 2 hours from Oberon
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius