Plan B - Walks around Jindabyne/Perisher

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Plan B - Walks around Jindabyne/Perisher

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 03 Jun, 2023 1:54 pm

Family and friends are all prepared for the NSW ski season’s opening weekend but looking at the weather forecast and current condition, looks like we’ll be bushwalking instead.

I’ll dig around the forum for ideas but would appreciate some pointers for some nice easy-medium grade half day to full day walks around Jindabyne/Perisher area that’s not too difficult but pleasant for a mix of casual walkers and others. Obviously I’ll be there to backup in terms of safety but looking for some walks that’ll entertain and entice for future outings. I note there are a few shorter walks around Sawpit Ck but no ideas on the scenery they offer. Obviously open to other suggestions too that suit this time of the years in terms of trail condition.

Thanks!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Plan B - Walks around Jindabyne/Perisher

Postby crollsurf » Sat 03 Jun, 2023 5:15 pm

Perisher way; Porcupine Rocks and the loop walk is nice. Also Rainbow Lake at Dainers Gap. Lot of people like the Rennix walk but can't say I'm a fan.
Guthega; Walk the new Snowies Alpine walk to Illawong for a look around. Or walk up from the Guthega Power station, (Schlink Pass Road)
If the weather is in, maybe try the Thredbo Valley Trail.
Don't really know of any walks around Jindabyne.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby oldpiscator » Sat 03 Jun, 2023 6:55 pm

+2 for Rainbow Lake.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sat 03 Jun, 2023 8:21 pm

Another vote for Porcupine and Rainbow.

There's a lot you can do from Guthega, including the BlueCow trig (it used to be partly off-track, but it's easy walking and there are probably markers or even a track there by now). Illawong, cross the river, wander up towards Little Twynam, go as far as you want, then back.

Doesn't that fancy new track from Charlottes go to/near Perisher?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 04 Jun, 2023 1:16 pm

Thanks all! I’ll look into Porcupine and Rainbow Lake tracks in more detail. They are now predicting snow showers during the opening weekend, sounds a little hostile even for bushwalking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Sun 04 Jun, 2023 7:57 pm

north-north-west wrote:Another vote for Porcupine and Rainbow.

Make that 3 votes.

north-north-west wrote:Doesn't that fancy new track from Charlottes go to/near Perisher?

Looks like it, they were working on that last time I was there. Map shows it going from CP village to Perisher via Wrights and Trapyard creeks eventually linking with the Porcupine track.

crollsurf wrote:Don't really know of any walks around Jindabyne.

There are a small number of informal tracks around the lake used by locals, and some signposted ones. Focused on mountain bikes but generally shared trails.
I've walked some of them heading towards the dam. Variable quality and can get muddy but OK for a short walk if nothing else is doable.

GPSGuided wrote:I note there are a few shorter walks around Sawpit Ck

Those are OK. The Pallaibo track is one worth doing. Best to start at the Thredbo River picnic area and climb up to Sawpit Creek, so you return downhill.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 04 Jun, 2023 10:16 pm

johnw wrote:Those are OK. The Pallaibo track is one worth doing. Best to start at the Thredbo River picnic area and climb up to Sawpit Creek, so you return downhill.

Thanks for the tip! Thinking about it and for the number of times I've been to KNP, they have all been in winter and never bushwalker. This trip could be interesting...
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT