Snowshoeing?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Snowshoeing?

Postby Lizzy » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi there,
Anyone been out snowshoeing lately? Is there enough snow about. I am keen to have a try and looking for some small trips.
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Snowshoeing?

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 1:02 pm

When are you looking to go down Lizzy? Last time I looked on the guthega cam (looks out to the main range) it looked like the last falls had mostly melted however as of today there is a couple days worth of snow forecast. Not huge amounts but could be some okish accumulations at higher elevations (~10cm) Monday of the long weekend a stronger front looks due to hit. So if you can wait a couple of weeks there might be more around for you to have a play on. Enjoy!

I'm heading down next weekend to take the little guy down to throw a snowball and catch up with friends :-)
Last edited by Bluegum Mic on Sat 04 Jun, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Snowshoeing?

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 1:03 pm

Oh and if your headed down next weekend I can pack my msr lightnings for you so you can give it a try :-)
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Snowshoeing?

Postby Lizzy » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks Mic..... I have the next few days off so was toying with the idea of a quick trip but the weather could be a bit iffy along with snow. I bought a pair of yowies last year on ebay so was thinking of trying them out, thanks for your offer though :)
I would also like to try camping in the snow which I haven't done so am considering finding somewhere with a little walk/camp so I can escape quick if things don't go according to plan. What do you think of ctaching the chairlift up & finding somwhere along the Ramshead range??
Have a great time next w/e with the little tacker
cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Snowshoeing?

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 1:38 pm

Sounds like fun.

Either that or if you don't mind a bit of an uphill you could park up at dead horse gap and go from there. My only caution would be it's still pretty easy to get lost up the top there from ramshead even with markers if conditions are bleak. Mind you I'm not sure there will be much to test your yowies on ;-) At least you can go test a tent out with mother nature :-)

Have fun and thanks. Looking forward to having some fun with the little man and dusting off the cobwebs. It will be nice to put a few turns in even if they are on front valley. (I suffered my first injury in 18 years of going down there last winter- ruptured all but one ligament in my knee..FUN!!) :-)
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Snowshoeing?

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 1:44 pm

Too funny. I shuffled off to see the kozi track cam to see if the snow had started falling-

Judging by the basin cam there's a dusting so far. As you can see by the cam I've linked visibility can get rotten up the top there vs dead horse gap might offer you a bit more protection.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 1:49 pm

ha ha- thats visibility- I looked it up & thought the camera wasn't working!
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Snowshoeing?

Postby Arobbo » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 10:31 am

Not sure about how much snow there is at the moment but plenty up there when we were there on 28/29 may

We did the charlottes pass to blue lake loop and snow shoed from about mt Kosciuszko to a bit before snowy river.
We did camp in the snow on the side of one of the peaks which was fun but obviously cold!
Arobbo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lizzy » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 6:21 pm

Had a fab time today & yesterday walking from Dead Horse Gap to Cascades Hut & camping.... turned into a magical winter wonderland overnight- will post some pics soon :D
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ninjapuppet » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 8:39 pm

with the amount of snow you experienced, would it be possible to do the walk without snow shoes? or would you sink in too far?
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Lizzy » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:57 am

Ninja it wasn't enough to really need snowshoes- I just wanted to try them out! Ok I am going to post a trip report & some photos now....
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 7:07 pm

sHmmmm, wonder whether I should change my plans for the long weekend . . . Main Range, Disappointment Spur, or the long road to Kiandra? I assume the Cabramurra Rd has been closed . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT