Gellies Hand tool Line?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Gellies Hand tool Line?

Postby kanangra » Sat 30 Jul, 2011 7:00 pm

I went for a walk today out along Browns Ridge to a vantage point out over the Grose River and passed a sign in the middle of nowhere on the side of the track saying Gellies Hand Tool Line? I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Anybody any idea what this is about? Beautiful day for a walk by the way.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Gellies Hand tool Line?

Postby tastrax » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 3:50 pm

Nic Gellie was/is a fire ecologist - maybe he built a "hand tool line" somewhere nearby for some fire project?

I found his name in this document - http://www.colongwilderness.org.au/bull ... screen.pdf
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby kanangra » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 3:58 pm

I wonder? Best lead I've had.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tastrax » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 8:23 pm

In case you are not into fires....a very basic description.... a hand tool line is where a firebreak is created (by hand tools such as rakes etc) and its used as one boundary to either light up a backburn or, depending on the type of terrain or vegetation, maybe even try and stop a fires progress. Not an easy job but a good technique where you are unable to get machinery and have lots of workers!

It might just look like a cleared line stretching off into the distance - depends on how much rehab was done after the event or the amount of leaf litter etc that has accumulated since.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby norts » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 8:29 pm

I hate it when we are told to grab the rake hoes
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 8:57 am

The case is building. I couldn't see a cleared line on the ground but then it could have grown back? Mystery solved?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 9:28 am

kanangra wrote:The case is building. I couldn't see a cleared line on the ground but then it could have grown back? Mystery solved?

K.

Possibly. I've visited the same spot. Only once and it was several years ago. It also aroused my curiosity at the time but I could only establish that "hand tool line" referred to a firefighting technique (already well explained by tastrax above). My recollection is that there was what looked like a vague footpad going steeply downhill beyond the NPWS sign. I think it was already a little overgrown but appeared to be a cleared route of some sort. We were actually searching for the start of a route beyond the high vantage point, down to the Devils Wilderness area on the Grose. Ran short of time and haven't yet been back to explore further. I'll have a look at my photos but don't recall whether I took any of the point of interest.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 11:21 am

John,

It sounds like you were on the same mission as me. I may have found the top of the track down, there was one small length of old rope but no obvious way of route after that? I too ran out of time and will have to return unless that is someone on here solves it for us first.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT