Obituary - Wilf Hilder

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Obituary - Wilf Hilder

Postby tomh » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 6:19 pm

I did not know Wilf but his obituary leaves me thinking I wish I had. Wilf served terms as president of the Sydney Bushwalking Club and the Confederation of Bushwalking Clubs NSW.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/obituaries/lost-bush-trails-were-his-to-tread-20110812-1iqt6.html#ixzz1UvJy3R9b
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Obituary - Wilf Hilder

Postby juju » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 6:31 pm

wow - what a guy. Bob Turners Track was my first overnight (probably many people's first).
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Obituary - Wilf Hilder

Postby johnw » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 6:53 pm

By all accounts a colourful character. I didn't know him personally either but likewise wish I had. I do know of Wilf, mainly through reading the books by Jim Smith on re-discovering and opening up the Lindeman Pass and Bruces Walk, both of which I've explored. On occasions when I've been out in the bush with others Wilf's name has come up in conversation. I stumbled upon Dave Noble's new blog the other day and noticed that Dave has written up a piece as well:
http://www.david-noble.net/blog/?p=234#comment-183

This above link also has details of a memorial service to be held at Clear Hill on Narrow Neck in Blue Mountains NP on Sunday, September 4.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT