Crosslands

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Crosslands

Postby kanangra » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 12:02 pm

I am taking a church group up this weekend to camp over on Sunday night at the reserve. I was going to walk them in from the road bridge in Galston Gorge on the GNW. I have a few younger ones and was wondering if anyone new of a shorter walk in to the site from up in Hornsby Hts? I figure someone must have blazed a track in to join up with the main track somewhere?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Crosslands

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 12:47 pm

There is a track down from montview avenue near the water tank but its steep and I know of people losing the track in recent times. Its been ages since I've done it (I didn't have an issue when I did but things may have overgrown since then). The track down from Mt Kuring gai Station might be better as its pretty much all down hill (steep at the start though on the fire trail) then flat at the bottom. Some interesting creek crossings though that might be swollen with the incoming weather but they do usually subside quite quick.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Marwood » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 1:27 pm

I was in the area on the weekend, walked down the Link track from Ku-ring-gai to the GNW by Calna Creek, along the GNW towards Berowra Waters, then back out up the Berowra Link Track. There's definitely some muddy and slippery areas and plenty of leeches about, but the creek crossings weren't affected by the rain.

For my money the better walk in than from the Gorge Rd would be down from Berowra (Crowley Rd) on the Link track, go part the track junction and stop to look at the view from Naa Badu Lookout, then descend down to the creek and along to Crosslands. You can put it together from here and here. It's be about 5 km from Berowra to Crosslands, and mostly downhill.
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 1:38 pm

Agreed. Marwoods spot on there. Its a lovely walk too. Just be mindful if heavy rain the night before Sams Creek and be flowing fast but still crossed easily enough. Mind you I've found it usually subsides in a few hours but I just thought Id raise it as I believe there's a decent dump of rain headed your way. Enjoy! I love it down there. (it was essentially my backyard and I miss it :-(
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 2:30 pm

Thanks for that. And I was going to take them canoeing too.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwalks » Tue 05 Jun, 2012 11:51 pm

kanangra wrote:Thanks for that. And I was going to take them canoeing too.

K.

Cool, there is a nice little boat ramp for the canoes.
http://www.wildwalks.com/i.html?image_id=329999

Or use notes from Galston Gorge to Mt Kuring-gai (limited parks about 4 spots)
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/berowra-valley-regional-park/galston-gorge-to-mt-kuring-gai.html

Silly me no notes from from Mt Kuring-Gai - but that is a great way in as well. I think easier than from Berowra. Ohh it is all nice (but hilly) walking.

But from Galston Gorge is the best plan. I am planning an overnighter with my kids soon, doing a similar trip.

Enjoy.

Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Postby kanangra » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 7:32 am

What were you saying about rain coming? It started just after we arrived on the Sunday and did not let up the whole time we were there. We packed up about lunch time on Monday and headed for home somewhat wet and bedraggled.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 13 Jun, 2012 7:51 pm

You were in the wrong place. Beautiful weather in the Snowys.
Cold, but. :)
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT