New to it

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

New to it

Postby trobbo » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi All,

I am a recent newby to the world of the walk and I have joined up for some chat (and advice). I am hoping to learn from you all the art of camping which I have not had the pleasure of for some time now.

I am interested in day walks, over nighters and anything really which will see me to the aim of climbing Mt Kilimanjaro within the next 6 - 10 months. Most of my fitness comes from running, so not that fantastic yet at climbing, but more than happy to build up to it.

For my first adventure I'm looking for an over night in the Katoomba region and wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Hubby is great at the outdoors thing, so navigation and set up is all taken care of to start (hopefully you can all help me before we get out there with some tips).

Look forward to saying hi!

Toni
trobbo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: New to it

Postby christophermoore » Wed 13 Jun, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi Toni,

I recently walked and can recommend a trip up Mount Solitary. There are a few different routes you can take depending on how quick you walk, and how much time you have (that particular route could be done in a couple of days if you cut out the loop at the end).

There's also Bluegum Forest, which is great to get back into overnight walking.

Lower down the mountains, there's Glenbrook to Springwood, which I did in a day last week (though there are some excellent camping spots along the way).

My next walk will be out to Splendour Rock next week some time, it looks pretty special.
christophermoore
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby trobbo » Fri 15 Jun, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks for that, Bluegum Forest looks nice.

We will be looking to head to one of the 3 here. We were previously just looking between Mt Solitary and Splendour Rock but after a look at Bluegum I think we may have found a winner.

Let me know how the walk at Splendour Rock goes.

T
trobbo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby clarence » Sat 16 Jun, 2012 1:26 am

The books by the NSW National Parks Association called Bushwalks in the Sydney Region (vol 1 and 2) have all the information you would need for walks in the Blue Mountains and further afield. They are very comprehensive with all the information you would need for a huge variety of walks (all within a 100km radius of Sydney).

The walks Christopermoore suggested would be worth looking at. Splendour Rock is a real gem, and it is possible to go in one way (the valley of Breakfast Creek) and back via the fire trail for a bit of variety. There are a few different routes through/over the five wild dog peaks if you want a bit more variety/adventure. If you can be bothered carrying your pack up the plateau of Splendour Rock there would be some magic places to camp.

There are a few cliffy bits on Mt Solitary that can be a little disconcerting for newer walkers. I would suggest doing it anticlockwise.

Clarence

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT