7 day easy-medium hike suggestions

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

7 day easy-medium hike suggestions

Postby Seamus » Sun 08 Jul, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi,

I'd like to take my girlfriend on her second ever overnight hike. I've hiked a fair bit, but don't want to put her off with anything remotely scrambly, that involves scrub-bashing, or brutal changes in elevation. I've never hiked in NSW (lots in Vic and SW Tas), so am looking for suggestions for a 5-7 day trip in November. Only thought so far was the 7 day circuit hike north of Mt Jagungal that Chapman describes in the old Lonely Planet Bushwalking in Australia, which he grades as medium due to off-track navigation through alpine meadows. I'm happy navigating, but a few posts on Jagungal on this forum seem to suggest the scrub is not quite so mild as pretty alpine meadows would suggest! Any other tips?

Many thanks for any advice,

Seamus.
Seamus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: 7 day easy-medium hike suggestions

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 12:05 pm

Seamus wrote:I'd like to take my girlfriend on her second ever overnight hike. ...<snip>... Any other tips?

Perhaps taking her on some easy-medium 2 or 3 day bushwalks beforehand? If your girlfriend is not enjoying it, 5-7 days might be an eternity...
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 7:08 pm

There's no real scrub involved in getting up Jagungal unless you take the wrong line from the old Farm Ridge Homestead site up to the ridge, or try going up from Bogong Creek. And even then it's just thin bands. Besides, there's a walking track up Jagungal from the Grey Mare FT.
You could easily put together a 7 day circuit from Round Mountain that sticks to the firetrails, with maybe a few sidetrips for summits and other areas of interest. Check all the maps of the area, and just remember that the Stromlo FT that goes over the northern section of the Grey Mare Range to join up with the Dargalls FT is pretty thoroughly overgrown. Otherwise, it's all open easy walking.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Seamus » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 11:16 am

Tom, I'd quite like to take her on a week long trip, as I think it's quite a different experience than a shorter one, and I'd rather pick the right hike to make sure she does enjoy it (she loved 3 days' hiking around Wilson's Prom).

Thanks NNW, what you're describing is pretty similar to the track notes I have from Chapman, so I'm glad to hear you describe it as easy open walking. I think vicious laceration by scrub is probably not the ideal intro to longer walking!
Seamus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 1:10 pm

I'm not saying don't do it, just that there's 4 months netween now and November to do some more overnight walking. The 7 day walk doesn't need to be her second one.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby christophermoore » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 1:36 pm

The Great Ocean Walk is a great introduction to longer overnight walking. The whole thing takes 8 days from memory.

There are water tanks at the campsites every night, flattened tent pads, and the toilets have exquisite views.
christophermoore
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Marwood » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 2:09 pm

Some ideas (though maybe you are only looking at area around Kosciuszko?):

Great North Walk
Yuragir Coastal Walk
Washpool Gibraltar World Heritage Walk
Mittagong to Katoomba
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby JohnDaly TakeAWalk » Fri 27 Jul, 2012 3:36 pm

We have just printed our latest book - Take A Walk in Southern NSW & the ACT. It has a whole heap of overnight walks that your girl friend would like, including the complete Hume and Hovell Walking Track. We will get the stock next week!
Also, our book Take A Walk in Kosciuszko National Park has a heap of excellent multi day walks that won't break her back - or break the spirit.
Check it out at www.takeawalk.com.au
Within a few days we'll be announcing a competition where everyone who buys a copy or the new NSW book will go into a draw to win a paid of Scarpa boots.
Cheers
John
JohnDaly TakeAWalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby icemancometh » Sun 29 Jul, 2012 9:31 pm

second NNW, jagungal is pretty tame though most of the walking itself is not that interesting unless you get snowed on
icemancometh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby zac150 » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 7:51 am

If you are keen on Kosciouszko maybe try a little further north than Jagungal, I have taken a few novices there with varying success. I would say the success depends on fitness levels as the Jagungal area does have some decent hills.

One area you may wish to explore is around Currango, check out the AAWT books which will show a few really nice walks along some open plains. Some great huts too. You could even spent a night or two at either caves house or Currango homestead to finish.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby zac150 » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 7:52 am

If you are keen on Kosciouszko maybe try a little further north than Jagungal, I have taken a few novices there with varying success. I would say the success depends on fitness levels as the Jagungal area does have some decent hills.

One area you may wish to explore is around Currango, check out the AAWT books which will show a few really nice walks along some open plains. Some great huts too. You could even spent a night or two at either caves house or Currango homestead to finish.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to New South Wales & ACT