Finding a hiking group or hiking buddies January 2013

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Finding a hiking group or hiking buddies January 2013

Postby Flosspot » Sat 21 Jul, 2012 1:20 am

Hi,

I'm a 28 year old from London and I will be based in Melbourne travelling in January 2013 and was wondering how I would go about finding people or a group who were walking from early January in or around the area (don't mind travelling a bit). I'm fit and hopefully good company ;-) and have friends in Melbourne but they will be working and couldn't take the time away!

I think the Australian alps look/sound beautiful and would be really up for joining an expedition

Any advice much appreciated!

Best wishes, flo
Flosspot
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: Finding a hiking group or hiking buddies January 2013

Postby ninjapuppet » Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:21 pm

might be an idea to post this in the victorian post if you're based in melbourne.
Joining a bushwalking club is your best bet, such as the melbourne university mountaineering club. http://www.mumc.org.au/
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Wollemi » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:57 am

It may be considered a bit rude to join a local bushwalking holiday for the want of a cheap holiday, getting taken to all the best places... for free.
Probably a thread about this very issue on this site somewhere.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby forest » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:33 am

Wollemi wrote:It may be considered a bit rude to join a local bushwalking holiday for the want of a cheap holiday, getting taken to all the best places... for free.

Really ??? That's a little harsh don't you think. I think it's great that someone wants to explore the Aussie bush. At least this way it's safer going with walkers with local knowledge. Better this way compared to ending up in a rescue scenario from lack of experience. Whatever....

What's stopping me from joining a club and doing just one great trip, never going back again.
At least Flosspot is being up front and honest.

You never know, lifetime friendships might be forged and they then enjoy great hospitality in the UK. The door swings both ways.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby ninjapuppet » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 2:08 pm

yeah I agree thats the case with the more exlusive and pro clubs around. They require a "trial" period to see if you fit in and some clubs require you to do "qualifying" type of trips to become a permanent member.

However the club i referred to is a university club. ive been a member of a couple of university bushwalking clubs. With international students all around us, its quite common for students to come over for a semester for exchange, do a few trips then head back home. in fact on the majority of our trips, participants have been international students. Not just from China but mostly european countries.

I have also seen with some type of training trips (abseiling/ first aid), preference is given to locals who will end up passing that knowledge back to other club members rather than taking that knowledge away with them.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Return to New South Wales & ACT