Aqueduct Track under Watsons Crags

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Aqueduct Track under Watsons Crags

Postby LeftRightShoot » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 11:19 am

Hello,

Looking at hikes in this area and have noted other sites listing this tunnel in their routes. Is this a legal route?

Cheers.
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Aqueduct Track under Watsons Crags

Postby wildwalks » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 3:15 pm

cnschulz wrote:Hello,
Looking at hikes in this area and have noted other sites listing this tunnel in their routes. Is this a legal route?
Cheers.

Legal??? fairly Popular - yes :)
There is a "Keep out" sign at the higher end
and a "For clarification on Entry to Tunnel contact Murray Opperations on 5222 or 1254 as water levels may flucuate" Obviously meant for staff of the scheeme.
There is nothing locking you out.
The tunnel is big enough to drive a car through, and way is normally about above your ankles.
In a flood you could easly get swept to your death, as the exit washes into a pit and closed tunnel.

I know it is not a clean answer you where looking for

Happy walking

Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Postby LeftRightShoot » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 4:24 pm

Cheers.

Yes "my friend" ;-) has been there before but cant remember signage etc. Was also after some history on the tunnel and info so I can make a more informed decision... It is used to divert water from Northcote Creek into Siren Song Creek isnt it?. I assume this would be snow melt or really heavy rainfall so avoiding this in winter until late october is probably a good idea i guess??

c.
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 6:42 pm

My thoughts - hopefully relevant even though not exactly on legality.

Had an 8 day walk pre-2003 fires, in which our last night was at the Opera House. Had been advised by a friend of SMA worker that he & they regularly used the said tunnel. "When you get there, you'll see what i mean - no problems! Only ankle deep" I was still unsure, but at that time the 'goat track' traversing Watson's Crags still apparently existed. (Google on this - some say no sign of it now, which I would strongly expect is the case.)

We had good weather for 6 days until White's River hut - sat out a day of rain / whiteout on the Rolling Ground. 2 nights later we were at the Opera House. Found the tunnel with water gushing into it from pipes. Huge stopper waves that would have been at least up to my waist... or neck... :shock: Don't know how long it took to get like that, but like i said, it'd been only 1 day of rain, a couple of days earlier. This was in summer.

Fortunately found the goat track in the end, hiding well under all the ferns etc :)

Hope this helps!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT