Three Peaks Route

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Three Peaks Route

Postby Allchin09 » Sat 01 Sep, 2012 4:23 pm

Hey,

I was thinking about doing the Three Peaks soon but I am interested in taking a non-traditional return route. There are two I an considering.

For the first, from Mt Guouogang I was thinking of going down the Krungle Bungle Range, crossing the Cox's and heading up Carlon's Head via Ironpot Mt. Alternatively, instead of going up Carlon's, travel north from along the firetrail which follows Narrow Neck onto Nellies Glen RD and up the ladders at the pumping station on to Narrow Neck.

For the second, head down Gasper or Heartbreaker Buttress from Mt Jenolan and then up Blue Dog Buttress and along Blue Dog Ridge to Narrow Neck.

Does anyone have any comments regarding the feasibility these routes as I haven't yet been along either of these before? Other route suggestions would be welcome.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Re: Three Peaks Route

Postby Grabeach » Sat 01 Sep, 2012 11:07 pm

I don't know anything about Three Peaks, but I know a bit about passes onto Narrow Neck.

If from Iron Pot:
Carlon Head - Haven't been there for a couple of decades. Navigation is easy, but I would want some up to date info on the condition of the chains and spikes. It was never great with a full pack.
Water Board Ladders were removed several years ago. No longer an option.
Black Billy Head, Coachwood, Rock Pile and the headland NW of Diamond Spray are either too far out of the way and/or involve difficult scrambling.
Redledge has fairly open country below, no scrambling of consequence, a foot pad on top and great views, but make sure you have some good directions.
The other feasible and more straight forward route is the Devils Hole up to Cliff Drive.

If from Blue Dog:
Obvious choice are the spikes or foot pad up onto Clear Hill.
Dunphys is also feasible, but can be scrubby and again get some good directions.
Glen Raphael Head has difficult scrambling that would rule it out for a full pack.

Graeme
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Grabeach » Sat 01 Sep, 2012 11:17 pm

Should have read "... headland SW of Diamond Spray ...".

By the way, is it possible to amend one's own posts?

Graeme
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby clarence » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 12:23 am

I once descended off Guouogang via the Krungle Bungle Range to around Scrubbers Hump then across the Coxs. It was magnificent walking along beautiful ridge country.

Last time I did Carlons Head (2001) it is was pretty sketchy, especially with a pack. At least a few of the spikes could be rattled around in their holes. I'd like to know how it is holding up these days.

You can amend your own posts, there is a red edit tab in the top right hand corner.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 8:25 am

Thanks for your replies.

Graeme, shame the Water Board Ladders were removed, it looked like a nice way to get up on to Narrow Neck. Looks like I'm going to have to read up about Redledge Pass. I'll probably buy Keats and Fox's 'The Passes of Narrow Neck' book to assist.

Clarence, I know the route you are describing and the country is great around there. From the Cox's, how did you exit? From your comments about Carlon's Head, it looks like I'll have to check it out properly before I try come up it.

Thanks again,

Allchin09

Postby clarence » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 12:31 pm

I checked my maps. Last time I did the Three Peaks and Carlons Head was actually 2003 (in addition to doing Carlons Head in 2001 as stated). We came down the Krungle Bungles, out Breakfast Creek then up Carlons Head to the Fire Tower. That was a two day trip so we travelling very light.

On the previous Three Peaks walk we had the car at Green Gully/Carlons Farm and after coming along the Krungle Bungles we walked up Breakfast Creek then Carlons Creek to there (we couldn't be bothered walking all the way out and back along Narrowneck)

On that same (previous) trip we went over Splendour Rock then via the chains down Howling Dog to the Coxs then up Nurla Murella Ridge to rejoin the main track. That was an interesting deviation that didn't take a huge amount of extra time.

I would buy the book as you suggest. I've been meaning to get a copy for some time myself. I was looking at the old Gangerang sketch map (dated 1979) and it notes the pass on Carlons Head as "dangerous".

Clarence
Last edited by clarence on Mon 03 Sep, 2012 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 3:58 pm

Clarence,

I'll have to check out the deviation via Splendour Rock. I've been meaning to visit it so it would be a good excuse to make the trip. I've been along Breakfast Creek a few times in the past, but I have heard reports that it is becoming quite overgrown as of late, especially since the closing of Pack Saddler's and the use of horses in the area.

I believe I have the same map edition that you have, passed down from my Dad! I wonder if any upgrades to the chains and spikes would be feasible? I'm sure that it would improve safety and maybe encourage more use of the pass.

Allchin09

Postby Grabeach » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 6:09 pm

Probably not many in the NPWS are even aware of the chains and spikes. I wouldn't be approaching them about upgrading as this would likely result in them being removed completely for public liabiltiy reasons. Mind you, I've never been that impressed with 'passes' that wouldn't exist except for lots of hardware.

The Passes of Narrow Neck is a good read, but does not quite live up to the Preface intention of, "... find, identify and record all of the passes." However it should be more than adequate for what you require.

Graeme
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 7:19 pm

The Passes of Narrow Neck has some good historical info, but the descriptions are trip reports, not track notes. They won't necessarily help you find a pass if you haven't already been there.

My web site has track notes for many of the passes - Taros, Carlons, Dunphys, Harmil/Glenraphael, Mitchells, Redledge
Narrow Neck - http://ozultimate.com/bushwalking/region.php?nid=730

Also Allan Wells site
http://www.pnc.com.au/~wells/Narrowneck.html

There are now several spikes missing on Carlons, so it is a more daunting undertaking. I agree with Graham that it's probably better that they're not brought to NPWS attention. I've no idea what their policy is on those sorts of things - but there's at least 5 passes in the Narrow Neck/Radiata Plateau area that I can think of with spikes/chains.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Marwood » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 7:32 pm

I went to the top of Carlons a few weeks back. NPWS have put a warning sign just beyond the start of the foot pad near the fire tower (though out of sight unless you start down the footpad) and another close to the top of the chains. I've no idea how long the signs have been there - they looked quite new - and can't remember the exact wording, but they basically say that the chains & spikes are of historical value and interest but are no longer considered safe to use.
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 8:10 pm

Graeme - I'll take your advise but it seems like Marwood suggests they already know, I just hope they don't remove them!

Tom - I've been impressed with your site and have read up on the passes a few times before. I'd like to try and make my way through them all before the end of the year. Good work on compiling all the information! I have read through Allan's site before but missed the section on Narrow Neck, I'll have a look through it now, thanks.

Allchin09

Postby Allchin09 » Sat 27 Oct, 2012 9:43 pm

I've been searching around for info about the water ladders of Narrow Neck that have apparently been removed, when I came across this photo - http://www.flickr.com/photos/summitvist ... /lightbox/. The author refers to them as 'Dixon's Ladders' and I don't know whether they are the same ones that I am thinking of, but it seems that they are quite climbable.

Can anyone confirm that the photo is of the water board ladders that are (or were) near the start of Narrow Neck, and does anyone know if they are still climbable? The photo was apparently taken in March last year so it is relatively recent.

Allchin09

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 28 Oct, 2012 4:45 pm

I know that some of the ladders at Dixon's Ladders have been removed - but climbers still use the area so they would have up to date access information - perhaps check one of the climbing route websites?

The firetrail under narrow neck I think passes through private land - and there may be access issues.

Gaspers - a very fine ridge - very open and direct (no false tops as you descend). Blue Dog - nice country, good Track along the ridge back to the old horse track from Mobbs Soak to Medlow Gap. The original 3 peaks route was down Gaspers and then up the Coxs River and then up Breakfast Ck - Carlons Ck - Carlons Chains. The tracks up Breakfast Ck and Carlons Creek are still easy to follow.

Its starting to get a bit warm for a 3 Peaks trip. Some parties do the trip over summer - and you do have long daylight hours - but the climbs can be a bugger on a stinking hot day.

If you have not down the trip before -then most of the difficulty lies south of the Coxs River, and it would perhaps not be wise to vary the route from the easiest - which in my opinion is via the Mobbs Soak Horse Track - Mt Yellow Dog - Yellow Pup (all good track) - then up Strongleg to Cloudmaker, and back from Guouogang via Bullagowar and Mt Kanongaroo - and then Coxs and up Yellow Dog (more direct than the track up Yellow Pup)

You should also consider the moon. A full moon or a waxing moon is desirable.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 28 Oct, 2012 4:50 pm

I should also add that Jim Barrett's monograph on the passes of Narrow Neck (and a lot of his other books on Blue Mountains bushwalking areas) have recently been reprinted. I saw them for sale in Megalong Books in Leura yesterday. They are all strongly recommended. Jim was a pioneer of one of the Narrow Neck passes - the pass up Glen Raphael Head (which is distinct from the Harmill Pass which bypasses the Head that is described in Keat's book.)

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 28 Oct, 2012 7:17 pm

Dave,

Last year, (Boxing day 2011), me and a mate set out on our first attempt at the peaks. I had been a long Narrow Neck a few times before, but where the power lines cross the track at Little Cedar Gap was the furthest we'd both been. We made it to the top of Paralyser, climbing it at night, and ended up camping there are we were unable to find the Trig in the darkness. In the morning we found it, but I had sever blisters due to my poor choice of footwear (old army boots) and my decision to keep them on when crossing the Cox's. We retreated down Paralyser's NE Buttress to the junction of Kanangra and Whalania Creeks, and followed Kanangra Creek back to the Cox's.

I'm attempting the walk again on the 9th, but unfortunately there is little moon, and it rises around 3am. Hopefully it is more successful this time. My only concern is finding the Trig on Guouogang, apparent a few parties have had a spot of trouble finding it in the past.

The route down Gaspers Buttress looks more direct than others, and it would be nice to mix things up with an accent up Carlon's Head. I will probably end up going that way, as long as we are not to tired and in the right state of mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am looking at buying a few of Jim's books for Christmas, and the one you have mentioned is definitely on my list. I've become quite interested in the passes off Narrow Neck lately, and last night I stumbled upon a list compiled by Wilf Hilder when he was the Tracks and Access Officer for the Confederation. Reading through all of the reports from the Minutes I could find, he seemed like quite a character, and I'm sad I will never have the opportunity to meet him. Below is a list of all the passes that he believed existed in 2007, Jim Barrett's pass up Glen Raphael Head is not listed so I guess that makes 18 (or 19 including Devils Hole).

Narrowneck Passes It is several decades since I had an argument with a “know all”” schoolboy about the number of passes on/off Narrowneck Peninsula. Thanks to Jim Barrett (Catholic Bushwalking Club) and his detailed researches, I can categorically state that I now know of 17 passes off Narrowneck – I believe that 6 of these are now severe rock climbs. Before your blood pressure gets too high I will list them in clockwise order. 1. Golden Stairs, 2, Castle Head (Miners Pass) stone steps and burnt out wooden ladders, 3. Cedar Head (Miners Pass) stone steps and burnt out wooden ladders. 4. Walls Pass (Miners Pass) stone step and burnt out wooden ladders - replaced by steel chains by Federation Search and Rescue Unit early 1970’s, 5. Gundungurra Pass (misnamed Duncan’s at Clear Hill – walking route, 6. Tarro’s Ladders (burned out wooden ladder replaced by spikes by Warrigal Club in 1940. Note – to the best of my knowledge the Miners Pass and Tarro’s Ladder shared the same route from the top cliff at Clear Hill to the top of the final cliff line, where Tarro’s Ladders diverted to the west and the Gundungurra Pass (Duncan’s) to the east.7. (Miners Ladders, stone steps and remains of burnt out ladders) at west side of Clear Hill near the top of the top cliff. I believe these were the ladders used by pioneer bushwalker Fred Eden (see Jim Barrett’s book “The First Bushwalker – the Story of Fred Eden”1996. 8. Dunphy’s Pass (bushwalkers pass in headwaters of Glen Alan Creek – a short rope can be useful for hand over hand up or down the short chimney. 9. Harmil Pass (a bushwalkers pass from the headwater of Sliprail Creek with a ledge to Glenraphael Head and two short climbs – rope needed). See Michael Keats guide book “Day Walks in Therabulat Country”2006 pp 100 -108. 10. Manson’s Ladders (well known bushwalkers pass on Carlons Head). 11. Black Billy’s Head (a Gundungurra pass zig zaging from ledge to ledge). 12. Blue Gum Pass (a gentle sloping fallen tree up the difficult lowest cliff of Fools Paradise – the headwaters of Mitchell’s Creek). 13 Coachwood Pass (a series of coach bolts fitted into a coachwood tree as a ladder (now overgrown) up the side of the waterfall in Mitchell’s Creek in the lowest cliff of Fools Paradise. 14. Rockpile Pass (near the point west south west of Redledge Pass. 15. Redledge Pass (this and the Gundungurra Pass (Duncan’s) are the only two really easy passes on Narrowneck and therefore were often used by the local Aborigines. 16. Blue Mountaineers Pass (suggested name for exposed climbing pass between Diamond Spray Falls and Dickson’s Ladders). 17. Dickson’s Ladders (misnamed Water Board Ladders) -now destroyed. There may yet be further passes to be found or refound for Narrowneck holds many secrets still.

Allchin09

Postby tom_brennan » Sun 28 Oct, 2012 9:35 pm

Allchin09 wrote:I've been searching around for info about the water ladders of Narrow Neck that have apparently been removed, when I came across this photo - http://www.flickr.com/photos/summitvist ... /lightbox/. The author refers to them as 'Dixon's Ladders' and I don't know whether they are the same ones that I am thinking of, but it seems that they are quite climbable.

Can anyone confirm that the photo is of the water board ladders that are (or were) near the start of Narrow Neck, and does anyone know if they are still climbable? The photo was apparently taken in March last year so it is relatively recent.

The photo is of the middle section. You can see photos of the bottom and "top" sections as they were in 2007 here.
http://ozultimate.com/tom/bushwalking/2 ... photos.htm
The top and bottom were both chopped. Climbers may have improvised replacements, but you'd want to check the current state out first. It's not that hard to get there via the Devils Hole.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 28 Oct, 2012 11:43 pm

Tom,

Thanks for the info, I will definitely check it out next time I'm out that way. I think going up might be a bit easier so I'll probably like it up with a trip through the Devil's Hole. From the photos it looks like the night beforehand was a cold one!

Allchin09

Postby ferozious » Wed 05 Dec, 2012 11:08 pm

In January 2009, a friend of mine managed to salvage a 1.5m high steel ladder which had been disposed of on a city-rail platform.

The previous week we had failed to successfully climb Dixon's Ladder's, solely due to the last climb up a narrow cleft with a rope hanging down it (this seems to be the point where Tom turned back from his 2007 trip).
In light of this, the friend returned to the top end of the ladders and placed the salvaged 1.5m small ladder at the narrow cleft (I think it was tied it in place with the existing rope). The small ladder can now be used (by tall people) to assist in stepping out and over the narrow cleft and successfully climbing to the top of the pass.

I haven't returned to the pass since then, so not sure whether that last climb is still negotiable without climbing gear.
ferozious
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby YoungCodger » Wed 04 Aug, 2021 2:56 pm

Grabeach wrote:The Passes of Narrow Neck is a good read, but does not quite live up to the Preface intention of, "... find, identify and record all of the passes."

G'day Graeme. Out of curiosity, which passes are missing in the book?
I just started a thread here https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=37466#p421251 to see if there are any that I don't know about.

PS: if you lead a group out to your descent into Kedumba Valley again I'd be interested. Thanks
YoungCodger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby YoungCodger » Wed 04 Aug, 2021 3:21 pm

Allchin09 wrote: 2. Castle Head (Miners Pass) stone steps and burnt out wooden ladders
3. Cedar Head (Miners Pass) stone steps and burnt out wooden ladders.

Has anyone got more detail on these? I've heard of a few as abseils.

Thanks
Last edited by YoungCodger on Tue 10 Aug, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoungCodger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rcaffin » Mon 09 Aug, 2021 6:33 pm

The trouble with the 'burnt out wooden ladders' on Castle Head is that they are no longer there, and the gap can be rather large.

I am not sure where the Miners Pass on Cedar head might be unless it is Walls Pass? I have done that a number of times in both directions, and I cannot recall any stone steps there. The chains are OK.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby YoungCodger » Tue 10 Aug, 2021 1:18 pm

rcaffin wrote:The trouble with the 'burnt out wooden ladders' on Castle Head is that they are no longer there, and the gap can be rather large.

I am not sure where the Miners Pass on Cedar head might be unless it is Walls Pass? I have done that a number of times in both directions, and I cannot recall any stone steps there. The chains are OK.

Thanks Roger. I don't think Castle or Cedar Heads are bushwalking passes anymore. I haven't read of or encountered a single person who has said that they've done it without an abseil anytime in the last few decades. Walls Pass is still do-able as you said.
YoungCodger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bold » Sun 16 Jul, 2023 5:11 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to walk the Three Peaks route in early August during full moon, if the weather is nice.
From Ashley Burke's website, I understood 48 hours is not achievable anymore, for me at least, due to regrowth after the bushfire and rainy years.
But I'm in between jobs, so no time constraints and can wait for nice weather days.

Wondering if I have to push through thickets all the way from Cox's river - Cloudmaker - Paralyser - Guouogang- Cox's river.
Have anyone walked this route recently?

I have done some recon walks few years ago, Kanangra walls - Cloudmaker - Kanangra walls in 2015, Kanangra walls - Cloudmaker - Paralyser - Kanangra walls in 2016, Dunphy's camp - Cloudmaker - Paralyser - Guouogang - Dunphy's camp in 2018. K2K in 2018, Katoomba - Cox's river in 2021.
Walked to Splendour rock via Mobbs swamp a couple of days ago. The track has become much harder than before, but still doable.

Cheers
Bold
bold
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby pkohlhagen » Sun 16 Jul, 2023 8:23 pm

I walked part of it last weekend. The section from Katoomba to the Coxs is overgrown but still very manageable - good track all the way. My route from there was up Kanangra Creek and then Whalania Creek, then Nooroo Buttress, Guouogang, Bullagowar, Konangaroo Clearing. The 14km from the base of Nooroo to the clearing took me nearly 10 hours and parts of that was pretty heavily overgrown (<1kmh). That said, there are signs that some of the weedy regrowth is finally dying down.

I haven't been between the Cox and Cloudmaker, but this trip report paints the picture: https://grindlay.org/2023/04/k2k-post-bushfires/. Sounds pretty similar to my experience except there was even less of a footpad available over Guouogang.

Even with all that, it's excellent country and I had a great trip. My trip video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWZKyNEj-AI&t=3s although strangely enough I didn't capture a lot of video in the worst sections of regrowth!
pkohlhagen
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bold » Mon 17 Jul, 2023 10:56 am

Hi PK,
Thank you for the reply.
If I do decide to continue to Paralyser and Guouogang from Cloudmaker, I will think about walking along the creeks instead of via Bullagowar, on the way back from Guouogang.
The section of Cox's river that is visible from Splendour rock looked almost dry.
bold
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rcaffin » Mon 28 Aug, 2023 8:26 pm

My only concern is finding the Trig on Guouogang, apparent a few parties have had a spot of trouble finding it in the past.
Fortunately, when you are near it you should be able to see it.
1064.jpg
1064.jpg (202.94 KiB) Viewed 7068 times

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 17 Sep, 2023 10:15 pm

rcaffin wrote:My only concern is finding the Trig on Guouogang, apparent a few parties have had a spot of trouble finding it in the past.
Fortunately, when you are near it you should be able to see it.

On my first trip to 'the other side of the Coxs' attempting the Three Peaks, it was nearly midnight by the time we made it up Paralyser from the end of Narrow Neck that morning. In the dark (and without GPS) we spend a why trying to find the cairn without success, forcing us to camp and wait for daylight. It was relatively open but the flattest of the three. Wouldn't be an issue with GPS or during the day.

I awoke to significant blisters (I for some reason thought wearing big boots and not taking them off to cross the Coxs was a good idea) and it was a slow 'abort' from there back to the car on Narrow Neck via Kanangra Creek.

(Now realising that this tread was started by me 10+ years ago, it seems I've already told this story!)

Allchin09

Return to New South Wales & ACT