Wombat Mtn, Southern Highlands/Kangaroo Valley NSW

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wombat Mtn, Southern Highlands/Kangaroo Valley NSW

Postby johnw » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 12:03 pm

From http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1095
justacouch wrote:Have you ever continued along after the Wombat Lookout track stops? Looking at the map it looks as thought the views would be amazing.

Yes, they are. Did this about 4 years ago. From (fading) memory a footpad continues for a reasonable distance around large rocks at or near the trail end, leading to an informal lookout. It may have been partly obscured by trees but had some excellent views over Lake Yarrunga, Mt Skanzi, Mt Moollatoo and Mt Carrialoo (see photo below). Probably 5 or 6 years ago we walked/climbed up Mt Carrialoo. I just opened my copy of latest Wild magazine this morning and noticed they've done an article on this area (yet to read it).

Wombat Mountain Lookout.jpg
Mt Carrialoo (butte) & Mt Moollatoo (peak) from Wombat Mtn Lookout
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Wombat Mtn, Southern Highlands/Kangaroo Valley NSW

Postby justacouch » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 2:50 am

johnw wrote:From http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1095
justacouch wrote:Have you ever continued along after the Wombat Lookout track stops? Looking at the map it looks as thought the views would be amazing.

Yes, they are. Did this about 4 years ago. From (fading) memory a footpad continues for a reasonable distance around large rocks at or near the trail end, leading to an informal lookout. It may have been partly obscured by trees but had some excellent views over Lake Yarrunga, Mt Skanzi, Mt Moollatoo and Mt Carrialoo (see photo below). Probably 5 or 6 years ago we walked/climbed up Mt Carrialoo. I just opened my copy of latest Wild magazine this morning and noticed they've done an article on this area (yet to read it).

Wombat Mountain Lookout.jpg

Thank you for posting that photo!

I'll be heading to just that spot on the weekend, and I'll post some photos here when i get back.

i've always wondered about walking Mt Carrialoo, would you recommend it?
justacouch
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Mt Carrialoo, Southern Highlands/Kangaroo Valley NSW

Postby johnw » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 9:47 am

justacouch wrote:i've always wondered about walking Mt Carrialoo, would you recommend it?

Yes, I would highly recommend it. The views from the escarpment on the SSW side are spectacular. I'll try and post a photo if I can find them. However, I don't know if conditions have changed as it's quite a long time since we did it. We started from Jacks Corner Rd via Bendeela down in Kangaroo Valley, going steeply up McPhails Fire Trail (popular with MTBs) for several Kms. You eventually get to a point where an unmarked foot track commences on the left of a RH bend. This is the starting point for the Mt Carrialoo side trip. It only gets ever steeper from here and eventually you have to scale some smallish cliffs higher up to gain the summit plateau. Apparently there was a fallen tree here that someone (NPWS?) had hammered spikes into to let you climb up. This had disintegrated when we were there, but others (climbers perhaps?) had placed a fixed rope attached with some sort of anchor into the rock. You could hang on to that and sort of scramble up. I found it a bit hairy, particularly descending, but was doable. Current conditions unknown. Once on the plateau it's all off-track, though you may find traces of footpads. We found our way across the top to the escarpment and views. Didn't locate the summit trig but were close-by. The whole trip is about 11km return and is an excellent day walk IMHO. There are track notes in Jon & Lyn Daly's Take A Walk (NSW South-Eastern Zone) but these pre-date our visit, so treat with caution if you use them. Bundanoon 1:25,000 covers the walk.
Last edited by johnw on Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Mt Carrialoo, Southern Highlands/Kangaroo Valley NSW

Postby johnw » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:47 am

johnw wrote:
justacouch wrote:i've always wondered about walking Mt Carrialoo, would you recommend it?

Yes, I would highly recommend it. The views from the escarpment on the SSW side are spectacular. I'll try and post a photo if I can find them.

See notes in previous post. Here's a photo from the top:
View from top of Mt Carrialoo.jpg
View from top of Mt Carrialoo
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby justacouch » Tue 07 Oct, 2008 1:22 am

Well, here are a few pics from Meryla Pass/Wombat Lookout/Griffin's Flat. They were taken on a nokia 6110 on the highest quality setting. Yes, highest. The camera is so bad I'm surprised I didn't see a panther to snap in true big foot and loch ness fashion.

The weather was unfortunately excellent.
Attachments
26092008(008).jpg
27092008(001).jpg
Lake-Yarrunga.jpg
justacouch
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby johnw » Tue 07 Oct, 2008 7:32 am

justacouch wrote:Well, here are a few pics from Meryla Pass/Wombat Lookout/Griffin's Flat. They were taken on a nokia 6110 on the highest quality setting. Yes, highest. The camera is so bad I'm surprised I didn't see a panther to snap in true big foot and loch ness fashion.

The weather was unfortunately excellent.

Hi justacouch. Ah, you found the lookout point :) . Looks like you had a good trip, Carrialoo next? Only the campsite photo at Gales Flat is a bit grainy, the others look good. Will have to get down that way again myself sometime. I've had an ambition for a while to climb Mt Moolattoo. Much of it is on private property but the summit looks doable from the trail if the correct ridge can be identified. Would be a completely trackless ascent I suspect.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno1007 » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 9:50 pm

Over the back of Wombat there is a creek called Sandy. Allways wanted to do a two day walk in Summer following the creek and mentioned it to some friends. They went without me after I moved to Tassie and it was, by their accounts wonderfull. I will get back there and do it one day. Exit up the obvious ridge up over Wombat. Have fun.
wayno1007
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby clarence » Thu 24 May, 2012 12:41 am

There is a pass off the NW corner of Carrialoo down into the creek. It leads down to Yarrunga Creek through some amazing forest and rock formations. If you want a real weekend of adventure, head upstream along Yarrunga to Twin Falls. Some of the most spectacular creek walking you will find anywhere. If anyone wants details of exit from the valley (not easy) PM me (probably best if it isn't too widely known- as I wouldn't encourage novices to attempt it). As an overnighter this walk is up there with the best walks in NSW.
Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT