"Exploring the Jagungal Wilderness"

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: "Exploring the Jagungal Wilderness"

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 5:57 pm

Nice work.

May also want to mention there is pig damage along the bulls peak route. Around GR 297 970 (jagungal) if memory serves.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 6:07 pm

Perhaps the way forward is to examine restoring one or more historic tracks that lie outside the wilderness zone. While this one is my pet, Arsenic Ridge, it is not in the wilderness zone and has a place in the history of the goldfields. About 8km in length and much of it is relatively clear. This will help establish the bone fides of the move with knp, hopefully showing acceptance by users and the likelihood of adequate volunteer effort. I expect the kha also had to go though a similar process. One track that currently seems to be in progress is Hanells Spur.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Zapruda » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 6:21 pm

Mark F wrote:Perhaps the way forward is to examine restoring one or more historic tracks that lie outside the wilderness zone. While this one is my pet, Arsenic Ridge, it is not in the wilderness zone and has a place in the history of the goldfields. About 8km in length and much of it is relatively clear. This will help establish the bone fides of the move with knp, hopefully showing acceptance by users and the likelihood of adequate volunteer effort. I expect the kha also had to go though a similar process. One track that currently seems to be in progress is Hanells Spur.

Arsenic ridge would be an excellent track to restore as well. Mark, do you happen to have a gpx file or grid references you would be willing to share of the track?

I have been up and down the ridge numerous times over the years and have found it hard to follow what’s left of the track.

Cheers.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 7:16 pm

Mark F wrote:Arsenic ridge would be an excellent track to restore as well. Mark, do you happen to have a gpx file or grid references you would be willing to share of the track?

I don't have a gpx track yet but have been into the National Library and accessed the old sma 4" to the mile series which show the track. I was planning on spending a few days in the area this summer to suss out what may remain on the ground. I haven't walked it but from Google Earth I think the section from Tabletop Mtn to Boltons Hill Fire Trail is relatively clear and possibly a section of the track along Temperance Creek is visible. I have been down from the ft to Brooks Hut and much of this is easily passable apart from the slope from the intermediate high point down to near the hut. (Note the Brooks Hut shown on these maps is not the current Brooks Hut location which is the unlabelled hut a little to the SE.

Arsenic Ridge n.JPG
Temperance Ck section

Arsenic Ridge s.JPG
Arsenic Ridge section

Arsenic Ridge ss.JPG
Arsenic Ridge to road
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RVG » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi Mark
Arsenic Ridge was discussed. It's outside the Wilderness Zone and is definitely historical, being part of Ligar's Route from Beechworth to the Kiandra goldfields.

After its discovery, a telegram from Ligar describing the route was read in the Victorian Parliament along with the announcement of he discovery of gold at the Toolong Diggings. All of which received loud applause.

Upon the discovery of Ligars Route the Victorian towns cheered because it meant that Victorian miners going to Kiandra would keep within Victoria and give their trade to Victorians. The good burghers of Albury were plunged into doom and meetings were held to promote a route within NSW but which avoided the perils of the Tumut River Valley.

Inter state rivalry started early.

Ligars Route passed from the south through Farm Ridge, Doubtful Gap, along Diggers Creek, across Happy Jacks and up Arsenic Ridge.

In later years a good deal of that route, including the section up Arsenic Ridge, became a TSR, so it definitely has heritage value.

I went up it about 1995. It was very clear then and on Google Earth a fair bit of it can still be seen. Old topo maps would also show the route pretty closely so I would expect that, with some effort, it could be accurately marked.

One issue is whether, having been marked and a track cleared, would walking pressure alone keep it open or would it require ongoing maintenance?

Another issue is whether there would be enough volunteers to do the work. In that respect quite a distance was cleared up Hannels Spur in a short time.
RVG
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zapruda » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 7:40 am

Mark F wrote:I was planning on spending a few days in the area this summer to suss out what may remain on the ground.

Thanks for the maps. I hope you have more luck than I have had. I’d be keen to swap notes after your trip.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Wed 05 Dec, 2018 4:10 pm

Been off the air for a few days, but the huge tree on the phone line (post storm) has now been removed.

The Wilderness Act and the PoM etc were initially used to avoid having to do any work on Hannels Spur. But that was overcome.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby RVG » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 3:18 pm

During the discussion it was mentioned that Hannels Spur is mentioned by name in the Plan of Management. There are no tracks in the Jagungal Wilderness which are mentioned by name.

I'm no expert but a quick read of the Wilderness Act omits any direct reference to heritage in Wilderness areas. One gets the impression that those who drafted the Wilderness Act assumed that Wilderness areas would be areas where there was no cultural history.

Are there any heritage consultants on the forum or persons with knowledge of the interplay between the Wilderness Act and cultural history?

Because it is not in a Wilderness Area, Arsenic Ridge might well be a candidate for some heritage work.
RVG
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 4:10 pm

I stumbled across this book at Cesjacks Hut and it briefly talks about walking from Cesjacks to Tin Hut via the Brassy Range. No chance of walking that in 4-5 hours these days. A fire trail that traverses the Bulls Peaks and gets you close to Mailbox, which would have made the walk doable in that time, has now all but disappeared. It's good for about a kilometre or so but then disappears. I spent/wasted a few hours zigzagging looking for it and from the waypoints on the map snippet, there is now zero evidence of the track left!

For anyone thinking of traversing the Brassy Range, give yourself extra time. When I walked it in Spring, the high and low ground was sodden/swampy. No way of getting to Tin Hut with dry feet. The walk was good but I can see why this track has been lost, IMO the Kerries are better/easier.
bull peak fire trail.jpg
bull peak fire trail.jpg (36.74 KiB) Viewed 9295 times

NB: That Blue line may well be the worst route off Jagungal to Cesjacks. LOL
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 4:43 pm

If you forget the existence of the fire trail it is still easy enough to get between Tin and Cesjacks within 4 hours. I don’t bother looking for the remnants of the track anymore. I just go for it and follow my sense of direction.

I believe that route was never particularly great to begin with for walkers. Fine on a horse maybe.

I definitely agree, the Kerrie’s is much more enjoyable and stimulating walking. I’m also particularly fond of summiting Jagungal from Bluff Tarn and going up the southern spur between where the Geehi forks.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 5:01 pm

Yes, the old 4WD track gets vague around Rock Cairn, marked by 'Trail Lost'.
But we picked it back up at the top of Smiths Perisher and followed it across the next valley (which feeds into 4-Ways). It did help that we knew where to look for it.
This is just W of the Northern Brassy Peak, after crossing the valley. We had lost the track by this stage.
8671.jpg
8671.jpg (103.53 KiB) Viewed 9293 times

The top of the track going E from just N of 'Trail Lost' down to Bogong Lodge (PP) could be a bit hard to find. I doubt it was ever more than a horse track anyhow.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 6:33 pm

It's more than ten years since I last did Bull Peaks/Brassys and even then the fire trail was more a theoretical concept than an actual physical reality. But there are plenty of open lines. Even with all the sidetrips to scramble over various rocky bits, it was an easy short day from Jagungal to Tin.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby crollsurf » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 8:18 pm

Haha, it took me over 8 hours but I can't deny I was in holiday mode and couldn't resist bagging a number of peaks along the way. Not to mention my curiosity spending time trying to follow that old fire trail/track.

I bagged North Bulls Peak and didn't see any remnant track west of the peak, but admittedly, I had given up by that time.

Didn't know that cairn was called "Rock Cairn", I'd never seen such a large cairn before. Unless it was built that big due to snow cover, I'd be interested to know more about that.
Last edited by crollsurf on Mon 22 Nov, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 8:33 pm

Nothing wrong with taking it all in. Jagungal is just about the perfect place to do it. Very jealous.

There are quite a few historical cairns scattered across the area.

Here is the info I have in regards to the big one east of the ‘track’

“Large cairn atop rock. Marks top of track to/from Bulls Peak River, although track not evident until ~250m down range to east. Track extended westward to join bridle track and stockroute to Strumbo Hill and Grey Mare mine.

Cairn may be a recent rebuild of an earlier marker. Track from Gungarlin to Strumbo Hill at least dates from time of Grey Mare mine (1890s) and was likely part ofa track/stockroute through to Toolong Station and Tooma during 1880s or even earlier”
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Tue 23 Nov, 2021 7:25 am

Rock Cairn - yes, there are a number of these in the district. They were probably a guide to various stockmen with herds.
5218.jpg
5218.jpg (121.81 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

Summit of this Rock Cairn, with Sue and grandaughter. Some years ago.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to New South Wales & ACT