Light to light walk Ben Boyd NP

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Light to light walk Ben Boyd NP

Postby roopass » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 5:51 am

Hi all, has anyone done this 2 day hike?, it sounds great!, what was your experience ?
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Light to light walk Ben Boyd NP

Postby zac150 » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 6:19 pm

It's a great walk, very easy terrain and I really enjoyed the changing scenery.

I've hiked both ways and kept things fun taking time to swim etc.

There is a fantastic camp site near mowarry point, a very faint track leads off to a beach campground which is very spectacular.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby roopass » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 6:00 am

Thanks Zac! , I like the sound of the easy terrain bit:), when u say both ways, is that return in one hike?, did u do it on yr own?, thanks for that campsite tip!
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby zac150 » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 10:48 am

Sorry by both ways i mean I have done the walk a couple of times and started from different ends. When you asked if I hiked by myself are you asking if we used a company or? hiking group? If so the answer is no, we hiked by ourselves or with friends. We had the capacity to leave a car at each end which made the pick up / drop off a little easier, pretty standard issues for a point to point hike.

I guess which end you start at depends on where you are coming from and where you have to drive to at the start / finish. there are five places to camp along the way but two of those (Salt Water & Bittangabie) are camping sites which made them less appealing for us, we choose the bush sites of Hegartys bay, Mowarry and Leather Jacket.

The first time I hiked it, we started late in the day and hiked the 5km to leather jacket bay, which was a nice spot and had good water, we then had a longer middle day walking to Hegarty's which is a bush camp, nice spot but the camp sites are not very flat; on the last day we walked out to greencape and had lunch there. I think Leather Jacket to Hegarty's is around 16km so the last day would be 10.

If you start at Greecape and walk to Hegarty's it is 10km on day one of very easy walking, day 2 to say Mowarry point is 13km and you have 8km on the last day, this evens out the days a little and gives you plenty of time to explore the camp sites but less time to drive home.

I know of people who have walked both ways, it depends on your fitness and how far you can travel in a day, also know of people who have camped at Saltware in the middle and walked each track as a day walk.

Hope this helps
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roopass » Fri 03 Jun, 2016 10:24 am

Thanks for info mate, plan to go in the first month of Spring, what's the water situation like?, do we need to bring enough water for the whole hike?
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby zac150 » Fri 03 Jun, 2016 7:19 pm

I'd call the local NPWS to get info on water but from memory and especially in spring I wouldn't think water was necessary.

I think there was a great source at leather jacket and a couple of creeks at mowarry point, saltwater has a tank and there is good water sources at hegarties and bittangabie.

That said if you can carry enough water for 3 days you aren't drinking enough on a hike! Not meaning to be smart but I'd go through at least 7l a day, 3 in the bladder and the extras round camp in coffee tea electrolyte and basic cooking.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roopass » Sat 04 Jun, 2016 7:12 am

Ok, l see, u don't won't to carry 21L's of water for the start of yr trip:), one more question, I'm not a navagational expert, can u rely on the guided arrows, I will bring track notes with me.
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby zac150 » Sat 04 Jun, 2016 8:43 pm

21l of water no, several litres of red wine, yes.....

The track is reasonably easy to follow infact I'd say it's a great beginner hike. Track notes and a map and you should be fine. The only times the track may be hard to follow is on mowarry point but there are markers and really only one exit so if you keep moving in a north/ south direction you will be fine.

The camp sit at mowarry can be hard to find but it is a beach on the north of the point, if you get the maps with the picture on the back you will see the site on the map.

I should add the water may be foamy from the tea tree oils, this is fine just shift the foam. I would take some form of purifier
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roopass » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 6:18 am

Ok, thanks again,looking forward to it, not looking toward to the 6hr drive to get there, but it does sound like it's worth the effort, cheers!!
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob Gosford » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 7:10 am

Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roopass » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 7:15 am

Thanks Rob:)
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bigkev » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi roopass. I did this walk with my wife a few years ago and wrote up a journal that has a lot of photos in it if you want a bit of an idea of the lay of the land https://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/?o=tS& ... 11949&v=2J

We used a taxi from Eden to get us from end to end and from memory it cost us about $180. We camped at Hegarty's and in December the creek there had a reasonable flow of water, with some recent rain the creek should be fairly reliable.

The walk is very well marked and easy to follow. it's also very flat with only some short climbs and descents so the distance passes easily.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby roopass » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 6:09 pm

Thanks bigkev, I'll check yr journal out, going soon, can't wait!!
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roopass » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 9:40 am

Hey Bigkev, great journal, awesome pics, really well written, it's got me salivating even more now, to get this hike on the way, going at the end of August, hope is not too cold, being still winter, albeit at the end of it
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roopass » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 1:09 pm

Finally did this hike, magical and not that hard either!
and to top it off, saw whales at the lighthouse!!
Attachments
IMG_3374.PNG
Light to light
IMG_3375.PNG
Boulder hiking:)
IMG_3376.PNG
Stunning Beach
IMG_3377.PNG
Wow!!
IMG_3378.PNG
End of awesome hike:)
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 1:37 pm

What everyone else has already said. It is a great walk and surpassed my expectations. I'd say if possible walk South to North. South to Saltwater is excellent but Saltwater to the Tower is even better! Walking with a bit of swell running and an onshore breeze, creating a disturbed Ocean, made for pleasant walking conditions and complemented the rugged coastline perfectly.

Old mate was a bit disheartened by all the blackened dead trees but I was stunned by how quickly the country has bounced back after the devastating fires a year ago. There is still some unburnt heath and the heath that was burnt, is now covered in native grasses. Under the grasses you can see the heath plants taking root and under almost every dead shrub/tree are seedlings. Some of the forested areas are covered with impenetrable saplings. Other forested areas not so much but flowering plants like Bells, Native Violet, Goodenia and others have taken over in the meantime.

Bird life is varied and abundant, many I guess enjoying the seed from the grasses. Wren, Black Cockatoo, Eagle (Wedge tails, didn't see any Sea Eagles) and the most tame Lyre Birds I've ever come across. Also Wombats, Kangaroos and Wallabies, Skinks. I guess some animals are still missing or in short supply but I'm sure they will return given time.

So don't let the recent fires put you off walking this track, The cycle of renewal still makes for a rewarding and beautiful walk.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 23 Mar, 2021 8:05 pm

Nice one Crollsurf, good info, thank you.

Do you reckon its doable in a day? Roadtripping back from SA the extremely scenic way in a few weeks , vague idea that husband and kids could drop me early then meet me for the night at the Telegraph Station bunkhouse that NPWS rents out at the other end
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 24 Mar, 2021 7:08 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Do you reckon its doable in a day? Roadtripping back from SA the extremely scenic way in a few weeks , vague idea that husband and kids could drop me early then meet me for the night at the Telegraph Station bunkhouse that NPWS rents out at the other end

It's 30klms of about the easiest walking you're going to find, so very doable. I'd allow 10 hours to admire the views and have a couple of decent breaks but you could do it in as little as 6-7 hours if fit and used to longer walks.
The Bunkhouse at Green Cape would be an awesome place to stay.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 1:39 pm

Brilliant.
I thought it would be well maintained . I can sneak it in a family nicely that way rather than making a special trip
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roopass » Mon 19 Jul, 2021 9:58 am

haven't been on this site, for a long time, surprised to see some replies, :), yes a great moderate hike , would like to go back one day and take it easy,hike it in 3 days instead of 2, first day hiked 23k's , it nearly killed me, haha!
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 08 Oct, 2021 3:48 pm

Took your advice Crolly and have arranged to walk South to North next week. My rural area has been unlocked for 2 weeks and all going well, can travel to the South Coast (being another regional area) as planned. I booked my transfer with Jenny from Light to Light Transfers and even managed to time my annual leave with another colleagues' so we can travel down and walk together.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 08 Oct, 2021 5:30 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Took your advice Crolly and have arranged to walk South to North next week. My rural area has been unlocked for 2 weeks and all going well, can travel to the South Coast (being another regional area) as planned. I booked my transfer with Jenny from Light to Light Transfers and even managed to time my annual leave with another colleagues' so we can travel down and walk together.
Nice. It won't disappoint. Hope you're planning a couple of days to relax and enjoy the walk.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 08 Oct, 2021 7:26 pm

Not quite ;-)
A single day.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 13 Oct, 2021 9:17 pm

Finished the walk four hours ago, in bed now, weary but happy.

The walk surpassed my expectations, the colours of the stones,cliffs, the water, the wildflowers, breaching whales, it was sensory overload!

The weather was cool, briefly sunny this morning, then lightly rained for the final 3hrs. Once we arrived back to the car,it started flogging down and has continued to do so. We got lucky.

Jenny from Light to Light Transfers was delightful. Very easy process to book, she was prompt and a genuinely nice person to interact with.

30km of spectacular walking achieved in the company of a good friend. Bliss.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 13 Oct, 2021 9:38 pm

Well done muddy and those beautiful beaches along the way.

Last edited by crollsurf on Thu 14 Oct, 2021 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby puredingo » Thu 14 Oct, 2021 6:40 am

30k day? Nice!...If the walking is flat enough I’m going to take my board and hopefully surf those beautiful beaches on the way.

Many people on the track?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 15 Oct, 2021 12:16 pm

puredingo wrote:30k day? Nice!...If the walking is flat enough I’m going to take my board and hopefully surf those beautiful beaches on the way.

Many people on the track?

It was pretty easy going, some undulations but nothing considered very much 'up'. We saw a few day walkers, mostly around Saltwater, but other than that, no. We were the first transfers that Jenny had done post reopening of regional to regional travel.

30km is pretty normal for me and usually around here I have significant elevation gains and losses, but my friend is not a bush walker and does not exercise regularly- she smashed it! It was struggle street for her the last 5km, but she was determined and did what she set out to do, such an impressive effort.

crollsurf wrote:Well done muddy and those beautiful beaches along the way.

They were beautiful for sure! What blew me away about the beaches was one little bay was sandy, while another was comrpised of the most beautiful small shells, another yet was a pebble beach, another red 'lava' looking rock- at every turn we were blown away by the different things we saw. I can see why you were mightily impressed Crollsurf.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sat 16 Oct, 2021 8:41 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-13/ ... /100534902

Looks like they want to build a village at mowarry!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Deesta » Fri 18 Feb, 2022 1:32 pm

Has anyone hiked the Light to Light recently?
I'm planning to do it very soon and it was suggested to me by NSW NP that I need to stash water at both Saltwater and Bittangabee as there would not be any water at either of those campsites. I'd really prefer not to undertake all that driving.
Anyone know if there is water in the tanks? Or what creeks are currently running?
Thanks for your assistance
Deesta
Deesta
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sat 19 Feb, 2022 12:40 pm

Don't know but I'd be surprised if the tanks are empty. Should be water in mowarry Creek and the one at hegartys (should treat those ones though). Mowarry point is a much nicer camp than Saltwater Creek imo

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to New South Wales & ACT