Light to light walk Ben Boyd NP

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Light to light walk Ben Boyd NP

Postby Hoojar » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 9:35 am

I walked the Light to Light during the first week of December. We did not have any issues with water at all.
Hoojar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 12:48 pm

We walked it 15-16 Feb.

Pretty much every creek of any consequence was running and no issues with water tanks.

Hegartys is closed (indefinitely?). We camped at Mowarry (the campsites are actually at the next unnamed point to the west).
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby damomcdermott » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 3:32 pm

Deesta wrote:Has anyone hiked the Light to Light recently?
I'm planning to do it very soon and it was suggested to me by NSW NP that I need to stash water at both Saltwater and Bittangabee as there would not be any water at either of those campsites. I'd really prefer not to undertake all that driving.
Anyone know if there is water in the tanks? Or what creeks are currently running?
Thanks for your assistance
Deesta

I did the walk last winter and we were advised by the ranger to stash water. We didn't do it and we had no problem finding water. The tanks at both Saltwater and Bittangabee bay were full. But it was winter, so they may be less reliable after the summer crowds. Although there has been a lot of rain this summer so I don't think you will need to worry about creeks. We filled up on the first day at Leatherjacket bay before continuing on to camp at Mowarry point. Mowarry point is one of the nicest places I've ever camped BTW. An absolutely stunning spot by the beach.

Here's a write up of out trip if you want more info:

https://www.randomfootprints.com/single ... mbat-tales

Cheers.
Damian
Easy overnight hikes for tiny adventurers randomfootprints.com
damomcdermott
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby peregrinator » Wed 23 Feb, 2022 8:33 pm

Thanks damonmcdermott for the link to your report. Wonderful to read how much the children enjoyed the trip, and about the way you organised things to make that possible. I wish there were more parents like you.

Various details about the walk might be handy if I can find time to get there before the "developments" take over.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Mcspud » Sun 06 Mar, 2022 12:57 pm

Don’t camp at the vehicle accessible campsites. We saw a lot of drunken behaviour at these camps. Even during the day as we passed through there were idiots smashing beer bottles in fires
Mcspud
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Previous

Return to New South Wales & ACT