Tops to Myall Heritage Trail

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Tops to Myall Heritage Trail

Postby Outdoor therapy » Sat 15 Aug, 2020 9:18 pm

Mullaitivu_83 wrote:Hi,
Does anyone have recent information about campsites along this trail. I have read the Pacy booklet so I would be interested in the current state of the campsites suggested there.

I have recently stayed at the first 2 campsites, (Wombat Creek Campground and Munro Hut). These are well maintained as they are part of Barrington National Park. Once you get on to night 3 and onwards you are out of the National Park and into state forestry area. I don’t know about the state of these campsites but I’m guessing they aren’t maintained very well. Me and my mate are looking at completing this whole track hopefully one day soon. So I would be interested to know if anyone has any recent info on the campsites too. I will be down in Barrington Tops next weekend so I might check out a couple of campsites if I have the time.
Outdoor therapy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Mon 17 Aug, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi,
I have since found a reference on a 4WD site to a possible campsite at a ford on the Karuah River. I have not visited the campsite. Its location is 56H LK 82991 42590.

I’ll keep you posted as to further information.
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Midcoast » Fri 30 Oct, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi all,
I've posted before and have been keeping a keen eye on the interest in Tops to Myall walk, and those that have been doing it piece by piece.
I too want to see it back,
I've started a local Fcbk group called 'Great Lakes Adventures'.
I'd welcome anyone to join, and
As a way to kick off an organised walk/reccie of this heritage trail, is my plan to combine it with Oxfam 100km challenge, raises money to boot.
I was thinking 4x weeks of a one day 20km walk.
I'd like any input from those that have done sections (I have walked the bottom sections and 4x4 from Buladelah and up from Gloucester, till I took wrong turn)
Check out and send msgs to Great Lakes Adventures FB page
Thanks in advance.
Midcoast
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Midcoast Adventures, Pacific Palms SUP

Postby JulieDorb » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 7:32 am

Hi there, new poster here. I heard about this trail a few years ago and was sent some notes by John Daly of Take A Walk Publications. Certainly on the wish list to give this a go and thanks all for the info including acquiring PDF of the original booklet. Happy trails.
JulieDorb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 10:58 am

Hi JulieDorb,
Nice to hear from you. The TtMHT needs your love!

IMHO there are two priority issues: clarity on vehicular access to points midway along the TtMHT; and accommodation along the trail, including campsites. The first issue is important because if there are accessible points midway then their existence should be made known so people can enjoy the trail at their convenience: the end points might not be convenient for some people but some midway points might be convenient. The second issue is important for the same reason: accommodation at the end points might not be suitable for some people but accommodation at midway points might be suitable. The two issues are connected.

I will try to a reccie of the segment from Myall Lakes to Buladhela in a fortnight’s time and report back.
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 12:26 pm

Going as far as Little River (from Myall end) in the nearish future with a group of friends, then will complete the trail in a further 2 sections this year with the aim of doing it in its entirety in one push the following year.

There is an updated gpx file including reroutes which eliminate need for head scratching that has deterred so many of us (myself included) in the past from attempting more than just the start or finish of it. Meredith Quinlan and Jess Baker ran (!) it all a few months back after doing all the hard work of solving issues with the trails continuity. Meredith has shared the link in another thread, but I will repost it here.
https://fastestknowntime.com/route/myal ... -australia

Just note that recent storms here have seen vehicular access to the Corker Trail (the start at the Barrington end) closed. For walkers, this may be worked around by walking Rocky Crossing Track to then join onto the Corker, a very beautiful 7.5km addition anyway.
NPWS site lists the Corker end of Rocky Crossing Trail as being closed, however, I would think that there are just likely to be trees over that may need crawling over/under/through and as there is no vehicular access to it, it may just be listed as closed. Was going to walk it myself today to confirm, but had errands to do out of town, so will get to it in the next week or two instead. Wombat Creek is still a functional campsite as NPWS has confirmed it may be accessed either via the Link Trail or Aeroplane Hill etc from the Junction Pools side.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 12:31 pm

Mullaitivu_83 wrote:Hi JulieDorb,
clarity on vehicular access to points midway along the TtMHT; The first issue is important because if there are accessible points midway then their existence should be made known so people can enjoy the trail at their convenience: the end points might not be convenient for some people but some midway points might be convenient.

Hopefully the gpx file helps you on that front. Using it, my friends and I were able to work out convenient drop off/pick up points for our 3 sections of the trail. They may not work for everyone, but for us they were logical given our residences/time constraints/distances to be walked etc. Zooming in or overlaying the gpx file onto something like alltrails app/website was very helpful in working out water collection points too.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JulieDorb » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 7:00 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:
Mullaitivu_83 wrote:Hi JulieDorb,
clarity on vehicular access to points midway along the TtMHT; The first issue is important because if there are accessible points midway then their existence should be made known so people can enjoy the trail at their convenience: the end points might not be convenient for some people but some midway points might be convenient.

Hopefully the gpx file helps you on that front. Using it, my friends and I were able to work out convenient drop off/pick up points for our 3 sections of the trail. They may not work for everyone, but for us they were logical given our residences/time constraints/distances to be walked etc. Zooming in or overlaying the gpx file onto something like alltrails app/website was very helpful in working out water collection points too.

Lovely to hear that others are interested and really appreciate the help and resources. It’s a little in the future (currently a bit more than half way through working our way to walk from Pacific Palms to Bulahdelah!). I’ll watch for news.
JulieDorb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 02 Feb, 2021 8:27 am

sounds fun JulieDorb, you will have some serious km's on your legs by the end of your trip.
I will check back in here after section one is complete to let you know if our plans panned out as well as we hoped.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 23 Feb, 2021 7:28 pm

Back from a very soggy first instalment. 24ish km from Korsmans heading towards the Tops. Relied heavily on Meredith Quinlan/Jess Bakers gpx files overlaid on OSM for navigation, their re routes were necessary to avoid private property and get under the Pacific Highway. Short detour from underpass to a servo for a coffee - noice.
Some markers still in evidence after crossing under highway, nil intact before then.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neville_harrison » Sun 14 Mar, 2021 11:00 am

Franky wrote:Hi all,

I have just come across this platform and I'm so stoked to have found this and likeminded folks! :)

Me and 3 friends are intending to walk the "Tops to Myall Heritage Trail"

Hi Franky,
Did you end up doing the Tops To Myall Walk? I'm thinking about doing it too and wondering how you went.
Cheers,
Nev
neville_harrison
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 15 Mar, 2021 8:07 am

Adding in that Shorty's Camp no longer exists in any useable state.
That area is all state forest though, so you can pull up anywhere within reason and there are plenty of options. There is permanent water in Boolambayte Creek along Godwin Trail (not far from where it intersects with Wang Wauk Forest Rd) to top up for the night if needed while in that area.

Also, as of Feb/Match 2020 there is some active logging on the section after the Service Station on the Pacific Hwy. We did elect to walk through, as it was raining heavily so there was no one actively logging at the time, there was no danger to us or operators of machinery. It would have been an easy reroute this section simply by walking along Wootton Way until you reach the intersection with Wang Wauk Forest Rd where you could rejoin the trail.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 12:49 pm

Another installment done. Short night walk (7km) to do Korsmanns to Bombah Point section. Spent night at Bombah Point, back this morning to car. Bit of an aquatic event with flooding, road closures etc. Had to make a liferaft for my coffee in my tent vestibule this morning ;-)

For anyone doing that section, Hocking Dees Trail is easy enough to pick up at either end (even via headlamp in the dark), obviously being low lying and near swampy areas is waterlogged even after a hint of rain. Still nice enough going though. Personally I wouldn't bother with the other loop -Mouth of River Trail- to get to Bombah as it is covering some extra distance for not much gain, I started on it and it was just going to skirt around a large paperbark swamp, so doubled back was happy to walk on Bombah Point Rd the last few kms.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Midcoast » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 4:51 pm

Ms_Mudd, good to see you're still on the case and knocking off sections of Heritage Trail. Following.
Have you heard if any of the $257mill of Nat Pks upgrades/new walks is going towards this Great Walk? Earlier posts here about Shorty's camp disappearing from lack of mtnce, non existent signage, broken bridges etc could use some $$ to get back up to standard.
Midcoast
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Midcoast Adventures, Pacific Palms SUP

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 6:46 pm

I am not aware of any funding going toward the walk, sadly.
Some locals here have suggested I try and apply for some grants to fund signage. On my very long "to do" list.
A friend had thought about surveyors tape for the trickier sections, it could easily be removed or broken off and become litter though I think. A painted "blaze,"? Although perhaps that is graffiti.

When are you hoping to head off Midcoast? Are you aiming to do it in a single push or sections? My next section will be Upper Myall to Craven I think a 34 ish km day walk.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 6:50 pm

Ooops just re read thread and realised you were doing it as part of Oxfam.

Hope you stayed dry, I was pretty happy to make it to Buladelah for a cake and a coffee this morning. It was more swimming than walking to get back to my car today and the whole Myall Shores Holiday Park at Bombah Pt ended up being closed, they rang me this afternoon to check I got out okay
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 05 May, 2021 5:27 pm

Just returned from the next instalment of the trail.

51km in 2 days. Dropped off at Craven (Glen Rd) picked up at intersection of Wang Wauk Forest Way and Wootton Way. Easy access for pick ups.

We had finished the Korsmanns Landing to Shortys Camp section at that intersection before.

Walked 30km the first day. We then overnighted at a cottage farmstay that was smack bang on trail last night. It is called Peace Haven for anyone interested. They have a minimum 2 night stay advertised,
but were really flexible when I phoned them. Wood fire all set, ready to light and a washing machine for our stanky clothes. Oooo la laaaaaa.

Walked 21km from Peace Haven to our pick up point the second day.

Walking from Craven end, once Glen Road turned into the Glen Nature Reserve was very surprising- in a good way. Plenty of single track, views, and beautiful waterways. Will resize some pics and add them. Thoroughly enjoyable day.

Had planned on camping, but poor weather forecast meant we booked the accommodation so the trip wasn't an exercise in misery. The storms held off until the minute we checked in and although it rained hard all night, cleared in time for our departure in the morning.

Really enjoyed this section. As a standalone taster of the trail, this is a nice section without overly complex pick up/drop off points. Did not see a single vehicle, motorbike or person on any part of the trail for the full 2 days.

Only have Barrington end to go now, and the final flat jaunt into Tea Gardens from Bombah Point. Middle sections- done !
Last edited by Ms_Mudd on Fri 07 May, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 07 May, 2021 9:26 am

Some pics from the 2 day section mentioned in the post above
Attachments
20210506_224700.jpg
20210506_224700.jpg (64.83 KiB) Viewed 25462 times
20210505_090827.jpg
20210505_090827.jpg (58.17 KiB) Viewed 25462 times
IMG-20210505-WA0080.jpg
IMG-20210505-WA0080.jpg (96.89 KiB) Viewed 25462 times
IMG-20210505-WA0112.jpg
IMG-20210505-WA0112.jpg (99.5 KiB) Viewed 25462 times
20210506_224745.jpg
20210506_224745.jpg (77.21 KiB) Viewed 25462 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neville_harrison » Fri 07 May, 2021 10:58 am

Looks really interesting. Thanks for the photos.
neville_harrison
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Sun 09 May, 2021 9:49 am

Hi,
After heavy rains in March does anyone know state of Tops to Myall track between Bombah Point and Hawks Nest ?
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 09 May, 2021 10:35 am

Camp sites in Myall Lakes National Park will remain closed until approx mid Sept, including Brambles Green to allow for maintennance and repairs.

The Tamboi board walk section from Bombah towards Hawks Nest already had a trail closure prior to the recent larger storms. Easy work around and just a bit of road walking from Mungo Brush instead.The boardwalk abd interlinking track section was only a couple of kms.
I was on the T2MHT at Bombah the night the flooding event started,it was a wild walk out.

I spoke with the President of the Tea Gardens Lions Club this week and they are looking at upgrading the very last stretch into Hawks Nest, also known as Michael Rowe Walk, this section is walkable as is though at this time.

I did a reccie yesterday to the access point between our remaining 2x planned stretches on the Tops end yesterday. Middle Ridge Rd/Kanungra intersection (7km Sth of end of Mountaineer Trail) in tip top shape, easy access. Just come in from Jerusalem Creek Falls side before getting onto Middle Ridge Rd. This intersection allows pick up from walking Corker, Link Trail, Mountaineer Trail (first 2-3days depending on how far/fast you walk in a day). It can also form the drop off point for there to Craven (36.5km ish).
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Sun 09 May, 2021 2:33 pm

Merci beaucoup Madame Mudd.
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Wed 19 May, 2021 11:29 pm

Hi all TTMWT devotees,
This is a short track notes report on the state of the first stage of the TTMWT: from Hawks Nest to Mungo Brush camp site.

Last weekend I and two friends walked this stage, but from north to south; finishing at HN. In brief the TTMWT over this stage is open.

We started at 56H 329949: a point about one and half kilometres south along the track from Brambles Green. I had been advised by NPWS Booti Booti office there was still “some surface water” on tracks in the area. In fact we came across only two or three points where there was any surface water across the track. So, your boots won’t get wet walking this stage of the TTMWT.

The only problem to report is the alignment of the TTMWT between Lemon grove passage, where the TTMWT meets Bennett’s Beach and HN.At 56H 244872 the TTMWT is supposed to leave the beach and then go through the dunes to join a fiRe trail called the “Michael Rowe Walk” at 56H 239866; a distance of about 850m. It doesn’t do this. Instead, proceed from 56H 244872 over the dunes to join the fire trail at 56H 242873. This is distance of 226m on magnetic bearing 279 degrees W. The fire trail going in southerly direction appears to have been newly bulldozed. It finishes at HN.

We did not investigate how far north this fire trail went.

All in all the TTMWT in this vicinity appears to have weathered March 2021 flood relatively well.

Happy walking
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Wed 19 May, 2021 11:40 pm

Hi all TTMWT devotees,
This is a short track notes report on the state of the first stage of the TTMWT: from Hawks Nest to Mungo Brush camp site.

Last weekend I and two friends walked this stage, but from north to south; finishing at HN. In brief the TTMWT over this stage is open.

We started at 56H 329949: a point about one and half kilometres south along the track from Brambles Green. I had been advised by NPWS Booti Booti office there was still “some surface water” on tracks in the area. In fact we came across only two or three points where there was any surface water across the track. So, your boots won’t get wet walking this stage of the TTMWT.

The only problem to report is the alignment of the TTMWT between Lemon grove passage, where the TTMWT meets Bennett’s Beach and HN.At 56H 244872 the TTMWT is supposed to leave the beach and then go through the dunes to join a fiRe trail called the “Michael Rowe Walk” at 56H 239866; a distance of about 850m. It doesn’t do this. Instead, proceed from 56H 244872 over the dunes to join the fire trail at 56H 242873. This is distance of 226m on magnetic bearing 279 degrees W. The fire trail going in southerly direction appears to have been newly bulldozed. It finishes at HN.

We did not investigate how far north this fire trail went.

Finally, there was only point along this segment with signposts concerning the TTMWT.

All in all the TTMWT in this vicinity appears to have weathered March 2021 flood relatively well.

Happy walking
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 20 May, 2021 7:25 am

Well done, very good to not have gotten wet feet, I have at times had to walk through much ground water around Brambles Green.

Now you have finished the end section, what is next for you? Now that Winter is coming, snow a real possibility on the first three days on the first section.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Thu 20 May, 2021 10:12 am

Bonjour M. Mudd,
My next step is the Bombah Point to Bulhadelha segment. Then I would like to do the segment through the Wauk Wauk SF to the point the where TTMWT meets the Bulhadelhah to Gloucester Road.

Both segments are at lower elevations so snow shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll try and do these this winter.

Á la prochaine
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 20 May, 2021 8:31 pm

Oh nice. I enjoyed Bombah to Buladelah, the trails were overgrown in parts and I may have led our trio 500m up an unnecessary hill, but all in all still easy enough following the gpx route. The tunnel under the Pacific Highway was a bit boggy on the exit end, but still good fun finding it and getting through its dank interior.

The next instalment we have planned is Mountaineer to Craven (Buckett's Way) about 36km. Debating whether best to do it as a single day push or an overnighter. I am leaning toward epic single day.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mullaitivu_83 » Fri 21 May, 2021 9:31 am

M.Mudd,
Quel une randonée!
Thirty six km over significant elevation. I propose to do the same segment in two days, later in the year when daylight hours will be longer.

Bonne marche
Mullaitivu_83
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 28 Jun, 2021 6:55 pm

38km section completed today. Thought it was 36.5km during planning, we were close, but a slight bit longer in real life.
Intersection of Kanungra Rd/Middle Ridge Rd (just SE of end of Mountaineer Trail) to Craven.
8hr 30 min walking , mix of single track, management trail and picturesque farm land.
Thoroughly enjoyable day walking.
Attachments
20210628_115056.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby YoungCodger » Tue 29 Jun, 2021 9:33 am

Lotsafreshair wrote:...does anyone have any first hand experience of this section in the last 5 years?

I ran a bunch of it in one go last year, and the path was essentially clear. I don't remember stepping over more than one or two logs, and don't remember needing to brush aside many branches at all: https://www.strava.com/activities/4045387059. If that link needs an account to be viewed, try https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1274289?units=km.

Mind you I could be remembering this in a slightly rosy fashion because my standards for "overgrown" are more relaxed than most.

One note - the path doesn't reach many unobstructed view points. I would build in a bit of extra time to find those. The views on the North side at the start of my run were absolutely spectacular, so if you get a chance...
YoungCodger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales & ACT