Mudgee - Mt Frome

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mudgee - Mt Frome

Postby shankspony » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi, just wondering whether anyone has been up Mt Frome in Mudgee? I'd like to try and get in touch with any of the landowners surrounding it to ask permission for access, but haven't succeeded so far. If anyone has any contacts or knows anything that might help me, i'd be really grateful. PM me if so... Thanks!
there's no time to waste like the present - the sky's your oyster
shankspony
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Mudgee - Mt Frome

Postby Warin » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 4:15 pm

Looking on Sixmaps gives you 3 properties
Melrose Park
Moothi Estate
Opal Downs

The first 2 can be googled (with Mudgee on the end) and contact details found.
It is a short walk, six maps shows an easement of some sort from Moothi Estate.
They look to do wines .. so maybe a purchase with the walk?
Melrose Park look to do airbnb .. an overnight with a walk?

Mt Frome itself looks to be some kind of reserve/park. A contact with the local council might give some more information.

A google gets;
history http://www.mudgeehistory.com.au/Mt%20Frome_p1.html
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby shankspony » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 12:58 pm

Thanks for your help Warin. I did try mudgeehistory but their mailbox is full and looks like it's not been in use for a few years. Luckily I've made contact with another of the landowners now, which is looking promising, so fingers crossed (although your idea of the wine drinking combo is much better than just straight access permission, so will be following up that idea if this one falls through). I'll report back on if it's worth it in a few weeks!
there's no time to waste like the present - the sky's your oyster
shankspony
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby Killerbee » Wed 06 Jan, 2021 4:59 pm

Late to the party but will post this for anyone else who may come across this.

Mount Frome is on private property. All access to it is via private property. It can not be accessed via Moothi, Opal Downs or Melrose Park without trespassing through private property to do so. All three of those places have properties between them and the property Mt Frome is located on.

It can not be accessed by the public in any way without trespassing. If people dont ask permission they usually get greeted in the same manner anyone else would when finding a stranger in their backyard.

The peak itself and much of the surrounding land was owned by Max Cover who is no longer with us. Your best bet would be to contact his descendants (Conroy) as I believe its still owned by his family.

Thank you to OP and others for doing the respectful thing and seeking permission first.
Killerbee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT