Private Property signs on Corang Loop

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Private Property signs on Corang Loop

Postby KateRock » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 9:36 am

Oh so sad about the Sassafras entrance. I do prefer the Nerriga entrance. And yes it is very boggy. I too experienced several knee deep mud holes. On the plus side the frogs are *&%$#! loving it
KateRock
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 9:55 am

KateRock wrote:Oh so sad about the Sassafras entrance. I do prefer the Nerriga entrance. And yes it is very boggy. I too experienced several knee deep mud holes. On the plus side the frogs are *&%$#! loving it
So it's been confirmed that it's no longer an option?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Grabeach » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 11:02 am

I admit to having trouble navigating the NPWS site, but I couldn't find anything about the Sassafras entry closure. Then again, I could never find any mention on the site of it being an entry point to start with.

pedromrsi - How did you find out about the road being closed and the reason for it?
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 2:55 pm

So just rang NPWS. I can confirm Sassafras entry is currently closed. However it's not the worst news as NPWS is currently renewing an access agreement and is waiting on one property to sign off on it. Apparently it seems positive and they just don't want to rush the sign-off in case it turns off the owners.
Apparently NPWS does not advertise that entrance because it would attract too many people and jeopardise access.
The recommendation was stay clear for now until access is secured so as not to jeopardise the signing of the agreement.
Apparently the best way to find out the outcome was to ring up the nowra NPWS office.

I also asked about any news on the corang lagoon access. Apparently the old owners were happy to allow people access. But the new owners are quite the opposite. It doesn't seem like NPWS can organise access to that area. The ranger was going to call me back with some more details on it. I'll post here when I find out more.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Petew » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 4:37 pm

Thanks huntsman
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 10:13 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:So just rang NPWS. I can confirm Sassafras entry is currently closed. However it's not the worst news as NPWS is currently renewing an access agreement and is waiting on one property to sign off on it. Apparently it seems positive and they just don't want to rush the sign-off in case it turns off the owners.
Apparently NPWS does not advertise that entrance because it would attract too many people and jeopardise access.
The recommendation was stay clear for now until access is secured so as not to jeopardise the signing of the agreement.
Apparently the best way to find out the outcome was to ring up the nowra NPWS office.

I also asked about any news on the corang lagoon access. Apparently the old owners were happy to allow people access. But the new owners are quite the opposite. It doesn't seem like NPWS can organise access to that area. The ranger was going to call me back with some more details on it. I'll post here when I find out more.
Thanks for chasing that up!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sandym » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 3:15 pm

Huntsman, any update on the Sassafras entrance?

It is disturbing that getting into the Budawangs is getting more and more difficult. The road into Long Gully is pretty bad right now and you have to drive around a huge hole in the road by going through the campground at the bottom of climb up the last hill. The last hill down to Long Gully is also super eroded.
sandym
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 5:57 pm

sandym wrote:Huntsman, any update on the Sassafras entrance?

It is disturbing that getting into the Budawangs is getting more and more difficult. The road into Long Gully is pretty bad right now and you have to drive around a huge hole in the road by going through the campground at the bottom of climb up the last hill. The last hill down to Long Gully is also super eroded.
I've been meaning to check with NPWS but haven't gotten around to it.
Nowra office is the one you need to contact. I might ring up Monday.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sandym » Sun 20 Sep, 2020 6:50 pm

Cheers Mate. I called Ulladulla a month ago and am still waiting for a call back!

I will give Nowra call this week. Might ask about the state of the road to Long Gully too.
sandym
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 20 Sep, 2020 7:14 pm

sandym wrote:Cheers Mate. I called Ulladulla a month ago and am still waiting for a call back!

I will give Nowra call this week. Might ask about the state of the road to Long Gully too.
Rough road is good. Means less people out there when I go walking :wink:
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Grabeach » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 6:12 am

Till someone decides that as the road has hardly any traffic they may as well close it and save ALL the maintenance costs!
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 9:48 am

Grabeach wrote:

Till someone decides that as the road has hardly any traffic they may as well close it and save ALL the maintenance costs!
Somehow I'm pretty certain that the road to long gully will remain open due to private property, 4wding and logging.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 2:42 pm

Sasafras entrance is still closed pending a final signature. So no change from last time according to NPWS. The office will check with the ranger tomorrow if any progress has been made.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sandym » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks Huntsman. It sounds positive .....
sandym
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to New South Wales & ACT