Earthquake Monitoring Device

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Earthquake Monitoring Device

Postby kanangra » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 7:56 am

I like this state by state break up. Good innovation. Thought I'd kick things off by saying I saw something different whilst out on Saturday. And it wasn't just the display of waratahs but they were great. No it was a solar powered earthquake monitoring device. It was about the size of a shipping chest. If I wasn't such a Luddite I'd post a copy of the picture I took. It was located just on the edge of the Warragamba Dam catchment near Erskine Knoll. Never seen one before. Anyone else came across one in their travels?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Great idea.

Postby climberman » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 7:45 pm

kanangra wrote:I like this state by state break up. Good innovation. Thought I'd kick things off by saying I saw something different whilst out on Saturday. And it wasn't just the display of waratahs but they were great. No it was a solar powered earthquake monitoring device. It was about the size of a shipping chest. If I wasn't such a Luddite I'd post a copy of the picture I took. It was located just on the edge of the Warragamba Dam catchment near Erskine Knoll. Never seen one before. Anyone else came across one in their travels?

K.

Agreed on the split !

Was it earthquake, or mining-related ground subsidence it monitored ? (or both ?)
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby kanangra » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 7:20 am

It was earthquake according to the sign on the box. I wondered if it was in connection with the dam?
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 12:25 am

kanangra wrote:I like this state by state break up. Good innovation. Thought I'd kick things off by saying I saw something different whilst out on Saturday. And it wasn't just the display of waratahs but they were great. No it was a solar powered earthquake monitoring device. It was about the size of a shipping chest. If I wasn't such a Luddite I'd post a copy of the picture I took. It was located just on the edge of the Warragamba Dam catchment near Erskine Knoll. Never seen one before. Anyone else came across one in their travels?

I think I've seen one in Dharawal State Conservation Area (southeast of Campbelltown). At least I think that's what it is, and I know there is supposed to be one in that area. I thought I had a photo but I can't find it. Anyway it's not far from home, so next time I visit that location I'll investigate further.

PS The Waratahs were spectacular while trying to negotiate through Katoomba Creek on Saturday :) :shock:
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Thu 05 Nov, 2009 7:23 am

Yes and they are great up on Narrownwck as well.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Earthquake Station - Dharawal SCA

Postby michael_p » Wed 18 Nov, 2009 3:13 pm

johnw wrote:

I think I've seen one in Dharawal State Conservation Area (southeast of Campbelltown). At least I think that's what it is, and I know there is supposed to be one in that area. I thought I had a photo but I can't find it. Anyway it's not far from home, so next time I visit that location I'll investigate further.

PS The Waratahs were spectacular while trying to negotiate through Katoomba Creek on Saturday :) :shock:

The one in Dharawal can be found at:
S 34° 10.152 E 150° 49.481 (WGS84)
Google maps link:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=S+34%C2%B0+10.152+E+150%C2%B0+49.481&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=58.257118,114.169922&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.170198,150.826621&spn=0.013493,0.027874&t=h&z=16
I live in the Campbelltown area and have done several exploratory walks out in Dharawal including a few visits to the old station. Must say the first time I came across it was quite a surprise.

Cheers,
Michael.
Attachments
0009.jpg
Earthquake Station.
0009.jpg (141.35 KiB) Viewed 9920 times
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Earthquake Station - Dharawal SCA

Postby johnw » Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:43 pm

michael_p wrote:The one in Dharawal can be found at:
S 34° 10.152 E 150° 49.481 (WGS84)
Google maps link:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=S+34%C2%B0+10.152+E+150%C2%B0+49.481&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=58.257118,114.169922&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.170198,150.826621&spn=0.013493,0.027874&t=h&z=16
I live in the Campbelltown area and have done several exploratory walks out in Dharawal including a few visits to the old station. Must say the first time I came across it was quite a surprise.

Thanks for this Michael. I tried to find it the other week, without success. I mistakenly thought it was somewhere near the rain gauge at the 10D intersection, and followed a foot track from there for quite a long way. I had to give up on that due to time constraints but it looks like that track ends up crossing Stokes Creek, probably ending at Lysaghts Rd. Anyway, from your link it appears I wasn't too far off course in my thinking, so will have another look when the weather is a bit cooler. We've occasionally done short exploratory walks off-track in Dharawal but the scrub can be very thick, making progress difficult. I remember on one occasion we scrub bashed along Stokes Creek from the 10B River Gauge to the fire trail that branches off towards Blackburn Rd. It's only a short distance but took us hours.

p.s. I'm also from the Campbelltown area, so it's great to see another local on the forums. Welcome! :)
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Earthquake Monitoring Device

Postby kanangra » Thu 19 Nov, 2009 8:57 am

Yes that is it. That is the same as the one by Jack Evans Track before you drop into Erskine Ck. The only difference is that the one I saw had its solar cells on the top intact. It looks as if vandals have got at the one from Darawhal.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Thu 19 Nov, 2009 7:30 pm

Kanangra,

Good to know this is the same type. This one has been out of commission for quite some years as the fire trails that lead to it were well overgrown when I first found it.

BTW - it is the first waypoint for a geocache called "Tangles Backyard" (yes, another geocacher here).

John W,

Thanks for the welcome.

My worst walk in Dharawal was 9.5 hours to cover 14km. See the attached image - 2dmap.jpg. We walked up OHares Creek from the junction of Stokes Ck (bottom of Jinnga Track) for several kms. The going was ridiculous as there was so much debris we wasted so much time going around and/or over fallen stuff. We had intended to off-track across Cobong Creek and pick up the footpad you mentioned but decided against it and walked back on trails. It was dark when we got back to the cars. One of my fellow walkers fell off a 2mtr cliff, I ripped the crotch out of my shorts and got so chaffed I couldn't sit down when I got home. :lol: What a day.
johnw wrote:...and followed a foot track from there for quite a long way. I had to give up on that due to time constraints but it looks like that track ends up crossing Stokes Creek, probably ending at Lysaghts Rd....

Refering to the second attached image. I think you are talking about the footpad that I have mapped, with my GPS, in the image. It does lead to Lysaghts Rd via the 10T fire trail.

If I can help you with any information about waypoints or routes in the Dharawal area please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Michael.
Attachments
2dmap.jpg
2dmap.jpg (90.83 KiB) Viewed 9871 times
footpad.jpg
footpad.jpg (108.68 KiB) Viewed 9871 times
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:17 am

michael_p wrote:Refering to the second attached image. I think you are talking about the footpad that I have mapped, with my GPS, in the image. It does lead to Lysaghts Rd via the 10T fire trail.

If I can help you with any information about waypoints or routes in the Dharawal area please don't hesitate to ask.

Michael , Sorry to be so long in replying, I only just got around to checking the map. Thanks very much for the images and offer. In footpad.jpg, yes that is the pad I followed but I entered from another branch that comes in at Appin 004160 (ie the intersection of the 10B and 10D). Ironically I missed my exit on the way back out and followed the same line as yours back to the 10B.

I don't envy your 9.5 hour epic, but well done! What a challenge :shock:. Glad you all made it out in one piece, more or less. We've tried a few times walking off-track in some of those locations but always bailed out after a while. I remember one time in the scrubfest along a section of O'Hares Creek, falling through whatever it was that I was trying to walk on. Certainly wasn't solid ground as I found out...Ouch. A bit like Tasmanian horizontal I guess.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT