Walk recommendation in Brindabella or Namadgi NP area

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walk recommendation in Brindabella or Namadgi NP area

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 17 Aug, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi All,
Looking for a 4-day walk that is on a footpad for the majority, not fire trail. Off-track sections even better.
I haven't been to the Brindabella/Namadgi area and am looking for some suggestions. I've got the Take a walk book that covers it. However, the only multiday it has is orroral valley to bimberi peak but after a bit of reading my friends and I would attempt that as 2 days, not 3.
The next set of free days I've got is early Sept.
How cold can I expect it to be around that way early sept?

Any recommendations?
Cheers.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Walk recommendation in Brindabella or Namadgi NP area

Postby Zapruda » Sat 17 Aug, 2019 10:57 pm

Interesting on track Multiday walks are scarce in Namadgi if you walk at a decent clip.

If you are comfortable off track, you have a few more options.

My recommendation would be Scabby Range and Mt Namadgi over 3 nights. You would start at Yankee Hat carpark and head up Middle Creek to Big Creamy Flats for night 1. The scrub up middle creek is relentless but worth it. Day 2 you would head up and over Mt Namadgi, down to Rotten Swamp and up to the top of Mt Kelly and push on for camp at Scabby Tarn. The fire regrowth here is tough. Wrist thick saplings on the way to Mt Kelly. Day 3 you head up Mt Scabby and explore the beautiful headwaters of the Cotter River then head to Sams creek and follow it down stream for a while. You then head up to Gudgenby saddle, drop the pack and climb Gudgenby, camping in the saddle for night 3. Day 4 is a short and easy footpad and firetrail back to the car.

This will give you some of the best views in the whole area. It’s not strictly Namadgi for the most part but it is jaw dropping on those peaks. Lots of granite to play on and the rock arrangements on Mt Namadgi and Scabby are very interesting. It’s all stunning sub alpine above 1600m.

Temps will hover around 10 - 15 deg during the day and drop to no more than -5 at night. Obviously colder in the valleys between high points. Snow will be mostly gone in the area but will probably still be on the highest peaks. Chance of snow falling is still a possibility.

There are a few more options if that doesn’t tickle your fancy. Mt Morgan, Halfmoon peak and Bimberi are all fantastic climbs with excellent views. This is mostly in northern Kosciuszko. There are heaps of huts in the area as well as some interesting geological features like Blue Waterholes.

Let me know if you want any more suggestions or some gpx files.

Stef.
Attachments
5EDE90D2-02DC-437A-9243-4B827E9C9732.jpeg
View of Scabby Range from Mt Namadgi.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Mark F » Sat 17 Aug, 2019 11:48 pm

If wanting a tracked walk this may not be long enough but can be extended with a few side trips. Starting at Orroral follow the AAWT to Cotter Gap, side trips to Bimberi and Murray. Continue through to Blue Water Holes and a little cross country back to Pockets Hut then up the track to Leura Gap and back down to the Cotter. Head North and then take the ft across to the top of the Orroral Valley and down the valley to your car.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 11:50 am

Mark F wrote:If wanting a tracked walk this may not be long enough but can be extended with a few side trips. Starting at Orroral follow the AAWT to Cotter Gap, side trips to Bimberi and Murray. Continue through to Blue Water Holes and a little cross country back to Pockets Hut then up the track to Leura Gap and back down to the Cotter. Head North and then take the ft across to the top of the Orroral Valley and down the valley to your car.

Most of that, however, is on firetrails.

It's possible to follow the NSW/ACT border ridge from Leura Gap over Bimberi and Murray and then hit Morgan and Half Moon as a sidetrip, and return via the tracks. Of course, I have no idea what may have happened with fires and regrowth since I did it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 19 Aug, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions I'll be checking these out on a map in the next couple days.
I'd much prefer offtrack to firetrails. Firetrails are just such a big turn off for me.
Huntsman247

Postby Mark F » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 1:01 pm

Sorry, I missed the aversion to fts. Try this one, almost all off track Yaouk - Half Moon Peak, Morgan, Murray, Bimberi, down across the Cotter then up Kelly, Scabby and back down to Yaouk. Fantastic granite slabs to walk down as you come off Scabby to the west.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 31 Aug, 2019 10:36 pm

Mark F wrote:Sorry, I missed the aversion to fts. Try this one, almost all off track Yaouk - Half Moon Peak, Morgan, Murray, Bimberi, down across the Cotter then up Kelly, Scabby and back down to Yaouk. Fantastic granite slabs to walk down as you come off Scabby to the west.
Where abouts would the best start/end point be for this be? Quick squiz shows a lot of private property. Never been in this area before.
Huntsman247

Postby Mark F » Tue 10 Sep, 2019 4:25 pm

Sorry for the late reply Huntsman. I've been on Lord Howe Island for the last 10 days which is a great place for a digital detox. See the topic http://www.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30129 for a bit more info. The starting point we used would be further south than Zapruda's - just on the northern side of Boogong Creek. Follow the trails up onto the southern ridge of Half Moon Peak the up the ridge.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 11 Sep, 2019 10:46 am

Mark F wrote:Sorry for the late reply Huntsman. I've been on Lord Howe Island for the last 10 days which is a great place for a digital detox. See the topic http://www.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30129 for a bit more info. The starting point we used would be further south than Zapruda's - just on the northern side of Boogong Creek. Follow the trails up onto the southern ridge of Half Moon Peak the up the ridge.
Fantastic! Thanks for the link. I'm headed out this evening. Going to give mt namadgi a crack but will give your suggestion a go as well in the near future hopefully. Thanks heaps everyone for your responses. I'll report back with how we go.
Huntsman247

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 25 Sep, 2019 10:21 pm

Bit of a delayed report but life has been busy.
Zapruda's recommended loop has proven to be a great introductory walk into the area. I definitely will be returning and already have ideas of possibilities. But they might have to wait for the weather to cool down again.
Challenging walk but pretty awesome. There was snow on all the southern faces which made descents super fun.
I didn't realise how many dingos and kangaroos where in the area. We had a dingo howling near our camp one night. Rather offputting when in the squat position.
Got to love the very unimaginative naming of places in the area. Had a few chuckles. I'm thinking this could be a cool thread, with all the super "descriptive" names we have in Australia. What do you think?
Enjoy the pics.
Attachments
IMG_20190915_101028.jpg
You know its hard yakka when your shirt remembers where all the straps where...
DSC_0061 pano.jpg
Mt Namadgi Summit 1
DSC_0086 pano.jpg
Mt Namadgi Summit 2
DSC_0114.jpg
A wedge tail we watched float around us.
DSC_0131.jpg
Epic sunsets are best enjoyed with red wine. Why did we finish all of it the night before?
Huntsman247

Postby north-north-west » Thu 26 Sep, 2019 8:07 am

Huntsman247 wrote:Got to love the very unimaginative naming of places in the area. Had a few chuckles. I'm thinking this could be a cool thread, with all the super "descriptive" names we have in Australia. What do you think?

Nothing beats the Larapinta for super-unimaginative names. Rocky Gap, Rocky Creek, Rocky Bar Creek, Rocky Bar Lookout, Rocky Gully, Rocky Hill, Rocky just about anything you can poke a stick at, including my favourite: Rocky Talus (like there's any other kind?). I got so bored and pissed off with it that when I scampered up that little conical hill on the southern flank of Rwetyepme I named it Rocky Cone, and dubbed its broader companion Bullwinkle Ridge.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Zapruda » Thu 26 Sep, 2019 8:23 am

That last shot of Scabby Tarn is beautiful! Great effort on the walk!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 12 Jul, 2021 4:03 pm

Thought I'd revive this thread rather than create a new one.
Looking for some advice on a 3 day stint in the area later in the month. Hoping to take someone a bit green into bushwalking so don't want to overdo it for them. However, They have done well on other walks so think they will be ok. The attached is what I had in mind.
I'm assuming its possible to park at Yaouk Gap, Or at least just before? Whats road access like? Doable in 2wd?
Was thinking to go from Yaouk gap > Murry > Bimberi (Camp1) > Bimberi Gap > Pickup the trail to the ridge leading up to Morgan (CAMP 2 in saddle) > Half Moon > Back to Yaouk Gap and car.
Is the lone pine track easy enough to follow in case it's a bit to much for the guy I'm with?
And any ideas how big that creek coming down Bimberi Gap crossing would be?
What would the snow be like atm? Never been out there this time of the year.
And how scrubby is it these days?
Any other suggestions in the area welcome. :)
Attachments
proposed route.jpg
Huntsman247

Postby Zapruda » Mon 12 Jul, 2021 4:43 pm

I’ve walked variations of this loop quite a few times over the past decade. It’s really nice.

Yep, you can park at the Gap. There is private hut (Noonameena) at the gate but it was partially burnt in the fires and hasn’t seen any repairs recently. Park opposite it.

You should be fine getting to the gap in a 2wd. There are a few small water crossings and the track always seems to be sloppy with mud. You can also park along Lone Pine FT just past the junction of Kennedy’s Road. Or if you are game, right up to the gate. It’s steep. There a few gates to open and close along Kennedy’s road but it is public access.

Your route is good. You will find scrub coming down off Bimberi Gap. You will find scrub going up Mt Morgan at your chosen spot. Worth it though! The approach along the summit flats is 10/10. There is a foot pad down off Mt Morgan that almost follows the divide. It can be difficult to pick up from the top.

That creek off Bimberi Gap is Dunns Flat Creek. It will be fine to cross. If it’s high just walk southeast to the flat.

Lone Pine FT is a well used management trail. Not overgrown in the slightest and easy walking especially heading south.

The descent to Half Moon saddle can be tricky. There are a few big ledges that might take some work. The ascent up to half moon is easy. There is a nice long open grassy line to follow.

You could always descend south off Half Moon to the Clear Ridge Trail and follow that back your car. It’s much longer but I thought I would mention it as an option.

There will likely be some snow around up high on Murray, Morgan and Bimberi, especially after the end of this week. If it hasn’t snowed in a while it shouldn’t be a problem. It tends to disappear pretty quickly anyway. It can be hard to judge what it will be like. I find I’m rarely slowed by it at this time of the year in that part of the mountains. Check in before you go and lll give you an update.

Have fun!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 13 Jul, 2021 5:46 pm

Thanks Zapruda! Appreciate the thorough response. I'm assuming between snow on the tops and cks, water shouldn't be that much of an issue. Right?
Huntsman247

Postby Zapruda » Tue 13 Jul, 2021 5:59 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:Thanks Zapruda! Appreciate the thorough response. I'm assuming between snow on the tops and cks, water shouldn't be that much of an issue. Right?

Not a problem at all. You’ll be sick of the stuff after the first day ;)
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 13 Jul, 2021 6:07 pm

Zapruda wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:Thanks Zapruda! Appreciate the thorough response. I'm assuming between snow on the tops and cks, water shouldn't be that much of an issue. Right?

Not a problem at all. You’ll be sick of the stuff after the first day ;)
Hahahaha
Huntsman247

Return to New South Wales & ACT