Yengo NP and Parr SCA Bushwalking

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Yengo NP and Parr SCA Bushwalking

Postby Tobias » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 1:16 pm

G'day g'day!

I've spent a bit of time exploring the area around South Yengo and Parr State Conservation Area. It seems every time I venture out there's a new discovery to be made - whether it's engraving sites, a species I haven't seen before, interesting flora communities, or signs of past occupation. I feel like I'm always learning something new.

Are there any other users of this forum that have spent much time in the area? There's not too many tracks or campgrounds in the area (besides the Womerah Range and I suppose the Macdonald River), and I don't often come across other walkers. Would be interested to hear about other's experiences, discoveries, or recommendations.
Tobias
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Yengo NP and Parr SCA Bushwalking

Postby Wollemi » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 2:16 pm

Not walking, but a long MTB ride TR from October 2017; 117km. 2500m+ climbing. 14 hours

This may have been the hardest thing I have done this year :(
Wisemans Ferry - across Yengo NP/Parr Conservation Area along all of Womerah Range to The Putty Rd. Returned from Colo Heights via Wheelbarrow Ridge Track to Webbs Ck Ferry.

It took 8h to cycle the first 56km due to so much sand on the track. Then with much forefoot pain did 18km down the Putty Rd in one hour. Cycled the last 30 km at night - on unsealed isolated public roads.

Approaching 10pm, it was fun to have the Webbs Creek Ferry start up and chug across the Hawkesbury River - just for me and the bicycle.

Frustration with poor speed aside, the Womerah Range is... an ođdity.

- 48km behind gates. From 250m to 340m elevation.
- Gently undulating or very flat = much sand.
- No views to speak of. At all. Except tops of greygums and yellow bloodwood.
- No creek crossings at all.
- No water, except in tank by built shelter at Heartbreak Hill; not a big climb.
* mosquito larvae in the water. I drank it anyway - gut acid kills them...
- Both petroglyph sites (24km apart) are very eroded.
* These depict two kangaroos at each site of up to 4m length.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... =680679306
Last edited by Wollemi on Fri 27 Mar, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tobias » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 3:42 pm

Mate! Wisemans to Webbs via the Womerah Trail sounds like a mission and a half. Especially considering how sandy that trail can get in places. Props to you for being able to complete it.

Can't say I've ever braved the tank up at Heartbreak Hill - I suppose the mosquito larvae is just an extra protein hit at the end of the day.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Do you have any plans to return to the area for more rides in the future?
Tobias
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby FatCanyoner » Thu 26 Mar, 2020 8:01 pm

Yes, Yengo is a greatly underrated park. I think it's because the topography doesn't look as grand on a map. But once you get away from the fire trails and more accessible areas, it really is stunning.
I spent an amazing few days walking there some years back, with a circuitous route designed to visit a few known art sites and explore some areas that I thought would likely be significant. We ended up finding a previously unrecorded engraving of a life-sized human figure wearing a head-dress. It was quite faded, and obviously very old, but I've never seen anything like it before or since.
When you consider the significance of Mt Yengo to the creation stories of local first nations, it's no surprise that areas with a direct visual link to that mountain would have held deep spiritual significance to people over thousands of years.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby mandragara » Wed 01 Apr, 2020 9:21 pm

I've done extensive walking and riding in Yengo NP, not so much in Parr, but I have ridden the Womerah Range Trail, which forms the boundary between Yengo and Parr.

My favourite thing to do in Yengo are to find new ways down to the Macdonald River, explore along it for a bit (and any side creeks), then bash my way up a ridge again to form a circuit. It's pretty rare to see anyone else besides the odd ranger on such an excursion.

There's also extensive mountain biking to do in the area, a more popular one being The Great North Road.

If you have any specific questions about any specific areas, feel free to PM. For me at least, most of Yengo is off-track walking and as a result, not really something to discuss on the site.

I can recommend Discovering Yengo and Dharug National Parks on Foot by Anthony Dunk, as well as Bushwalks in the Hunter Valley by Powell, if you're looking for trip ideas. But honestly, SIX maps is also a great trip planner. Just keep in mind a lot of the park is shut at the moment.

Also Wollemi mate, you should consider taking one of those soft BeFree water filters with you. Best not to gamble with your health, who knows what's in stagnant water like that!
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT