Budawangs

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Budawangs

Postby Stocky54 » Thu 07 May, 2020 3:27 pm

Another post COVID question/s...

How do the Budawangs look after the recent bushfire season?

I'm contemplating a walk into the Hidden Valley from Sassafras. In all the track notes I have found it suggests its a two day walk camping at Styles Creek and including a few side trips up Quiltys Mountain, etc. Can Hidden Valley be done in a long day walk? I checked the topos and it looks reasonably flat with around 26km or so of what appears to be easy walking. Have I missed something?
Stocky54
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Budawangs

Postby crollsurf » Thu 07 May, 2020 4:28 pm

2 days no worries but the first 10 klms is boring fire trail so best to ride that section and have more time to explore.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 07 May, 2020 5:00 pm

Stocky54 wrote:Another post COVID question/s...

How do the Budawangs look after the recent bushfire season?

I'm contemplating a walk into the Hidden Valley from Sassafras. In all the track notes I have found it suggests its a two day walk camping at Styles Creek and including a few side trips up Quiltys Mountain, etc. Can Hidden Valley be done in a long day walk? I checked the topos and it looks reasonably flat with around 26km or so of what appears to be easy walking. Have I missed something?

The Budawangs are still closed due to fire according to NPWS. Even if they lift COVID restrictions I can’t see the park opening for a while.

I’ve seen some pics of the area post fire and it looks bad but not completely destroyed. A mix of burn and green. Word is a lot of the valleys weren’t too badly burnt.

Other than that, it’s a nice easy walk. Definitely make the trip up to Quilty's to see the rock arrangements.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Stocky54 » Thu 07 May, 2020 7:27 pm

Could it be done as a day hike with a dawn start?
Stocky54
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 07 May, 2020 7:51 pm

Stocky54 wrote:Could it be done as a day hike with a dawn start?

Sure, it’ll be about 40km and you won’t have much time to explore the valley or Quiltys. It might be shorter using the Red Ground track near Nerriga. It’s nicer than the road in from Sass.

Why not spend the night when you can though? I want to reiterate that the park is completely closed, even for day use. This isn’t a COVID closure.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 07 May, 2020 9:52 pm

Stocky54 wrote:Could it be done as a day hike with a dawn start?
Could mtb to the vines to do it as a day trip.... easily fit in quiltys too then (when it's open as mentioned above). If going as an overnight probably more pleasant going in from nerriga end.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 08 May, 2020 10:20 pm

It's long but easy. You could jog most of it with just a light pack if your fit enough. Probably take you the better part of the day. Just bring a headlight just in case your not as fit as you think.
But yes as most have mentioned it is closed due to the fire impact which was quite severe in the area.
Spots have survived in and around the main stuff but a few valleys were spared, some hardly touched at all.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Stocky54 » Fri 15 May, 2020 5:34 pm

Does anybody know what the track from Styles Creek past Mount Haughton over Mount Tarn and Bibbenluke is like?

If we did do Hidden Valley and decided to push onto the camping cave at Mount Cole for the second night I was wondering how physically demanding that days walk might be?

Thanks in advance...
Stocky54
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 16 May, 2020 8:52 pm

Stocky54 wrote:Does anybody know what the track from Styles Creek past Mount Haughton over Mount Tarn and Bibbenluke is like?

If we did do Hidden Valley and decided to push onto the camping cave at Mount Cole for the second night I was wondering how physically demanding that days walk might be?

Thanks in advance...

That's like asking how long is a piece of string. Lol.
The tracks pretty good all the way to Yadboro. It's pretty well defined although you could lose it in a couple spots. There are some steep bits but the worst coming from hidden valley should be going up towards Mt Cole. Reasonably steep. Oh and up towards Haughton but it's not too bad.
With decent fitness you should be setting up mid to late afternoon possibly even earlier.
The place you can waste time is navigating the swamp in styles plain. There's lots of tracks through the grass. I personally find the quickest way is to hop from one floating button grass to the next and pick up the track on the other side of the plain as I always tend to lose the track from that direction. But that obviously could end you deep in a mud hole. But hey you gotta live a little.
Huntsman247

Postby crollsurf » Sun 17 May, 2020 8:58 pm

Be interesting after the fires and not sure what the parks are thinking but the regrowth in a couple of years could make for a real challenge!

crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 1:46 pm

Just spoke to the Ulladulla NPWS office and they confirmed that the Budawangs is open for walking. Pigeon house is still closed. Finally!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 7:10 pm

Zapruda that's awesome news! About time!
I've been meaning to ring myself.
Huntsman247

Postby Zapruda » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 8:35 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:Zapruda that's awesome news! About time!

I’m thinking a trip out to Sturgiss and down to sluice box falls this weekend.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 01 Jul, 2020 9:32 pm

Zapruda wrote:

Scrub should be cleared? The website still says it's closed though

Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 02 Jul, 2020 7:18 am

Zapruda wrote:

Sounds like a good trip. I'm tossing up the idea of a few days next week. Not sure where yet. Although I'm keen on seeing what happened to angels ck/hollands. Wish I had time this weekend...
Huntsman247

Postby Zapruda » Thu 02 Jul, 2020 8:42 am

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:
Zapruda wrote:

Scrub should be cleared? The website still says it's closed though

Should be relatively scrub free I imagine.

NPWS definitely said it was open to me on the phone yesterday. I’m starting to rely on the NPWS website less and less. Too much contradicting information.

The closure notice has been removed - https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/vi ... cal-alerts
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FionaShedden » Thu 02 Jul, 2020 1:31 pm

Awesome, please let us know what you find when you get back. I am hoping to get back in soon too to revisit my last trip in on mountain bike via redgrounds and then ditching the bike and heading in to Hidden Valley and Styles Creek and maybe doing the loop back around, but certainly interested in how it fared and if it is already bouncing back! May have to get out to Mt Bushwalker just to take in the view as a day trip!
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zapruda » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 7:46 am

I walked in to Red Johnny’s cave along the Red Ground track on Friday arvo and set off down Camp Rock Creek and ravine on Saturday. There was a great slot canyon down there. I went up to the Winter cave below Island Mountain and tried to descend off the southwest end but couldn’t find a decent pass. I went back up Island Mt and over to Natural Arch and over Camp Rock. I then went up Quiltys, past the Bora, over to the Trig and then off Quiltys Pass. Lovely sedge on the nth end of Quilty’s. I spent the night up on the Southern cliff of Sass Mt. the fire damage is horrible.
Attachments
26436935-6FD1-44CF-B619-B2B672C34B51.jpeg
26436935-6FD1-44CF-B619-B2B672C34B51.jpeg (111.9 KiB) Viewed 31999 times
CB920210-BE49-4FEE-B609-6F459A483DAE.jpeg
CB920210-BE49-4FEE-B609-6F459A483DAE.jpeg (134.97 KiB) Viewed 31999 times
5405BF66-F2BF-4B77-837A-44967E5C7A34.jpeg
5405BF66-F2BF-4B77-837A-44967E5C7A34.jpeg (197.56 KiB) Viewed 31999 times
5911237C-D563-4AE8-9479-5FCA66F19704.jpeg
5911237C-D563-4AE8-9479-5FCA66F19704.jpeg (129.09 KiB) Viewed 31999 times
6BCBE2A2-EEF4-41CB-AB1B-A1676A8E326E.jpeg
77A235F9-7876-4615-B8CA-AD958A3D9DBE.jpeg
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 8:48 am

I was wondering how you went. The fire really did a number out there... Thanks for sharing the pics.
Huntsman247

Postby FionaShedden » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 4:27 pm

Wow. Thank you for the photos. So sad to hear it is so badly burnt. Need to find some time to get there!
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 16 Jul, 2020 2:24 pm

This past Saturday I got out and did a circuit of the monolith valley.
My mate & I started of at the castle carpark which was 90% full. We went up past the castle to shrouded gods, explored the monolith a little and then went north out of the valley taking the mt cole ramp. We traversed Mt Cole and dropped off at the owen/cole saddle. Crossing owen we had lunch above oaky ck to get a view of the castle and then headed back to the owen/cole saddle. Followed the pass west at which point it began to rain and I packed the camera away. We followed the bottom of the cliffs to the nose and made our way to the lower lifeline. With reduced visibility and searching to the west too much I missed the pass and decided to just join up to the castle track. Got back to the car pretty late. Anyways here are some pics. The fire damage in the monolith is devastating. So so so sad. I imagine the easier navigation and loss of shrub will probably see an increase in visitors to this area.
Attachments
_PS16479-1.jpeg
A burnt patch going up to the castle saddle
_PS16487-1.jpeg
saddle
_PS16490-1.jpeg
_PS16491-1.jpeg
_PS16493-1.jpeg
Just before the chains
_PS16502-1.jpeg
monolith
_PS16533 Panorama-1.jpeg
from shrouded gods
_PS16632-1.jpeg
looking at pinnacles
_PS16665-1.jpeg
One of the few spot fires in the green room. Its mostly Ok.
_PS16709-1.jpeg
Cole ramp
Huntsman247

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 16 Jul, 2020 2:35 pm

some more pics
Attachments
_PS16711-1.jpeg
looking north from cole
_PS16715-1.jpeg
the formerly dense scrub on top of mt cole.
_PS16717-1.jpeg
Before crossing look left...
_PS16718-1.jpeg
then look right...
_PS16730-1.jpeg
On owen looking east
_PS16740-1.jpeg
Nebelung pinnacles
Huntsman247

Postby GregG » Thu 16 Jul, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks for the report and pictures Huntsman, a pretty devastated landscape, as you say. I've been wondering how things were in the Budawangs and now here it is in stark relief, I probably won't get a chance to get down there anytime soon. Two good things though, out of a bad situation: a clear look at the land formation unobstructed by vegitation and lots of signs of plants resprouting.
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby gumnut » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 10:13 am

Zapruda wrote:Just spoke to the Ulladulla NPWS office and they confirmed that the Budawangs is open for walking. Pigeon house is still closed. Finally!

Yayyy!! Any news on whether ropes have been reinstalled for the top scrambles of The Castle and whether Long Gully campground/car park is open. Fitzroy Falls NPWS were super friendly this morning, but didn't know the answers to these two questions and said Long Gully might still be closed. Haven't been able to connect with anyone yet at Ulladulla NPWS office yet. Any help much appreciated.
gumnut
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 6:24 pm

gumnut wrote:
Zapruda wrote:Just spoke to the Ulladulla NPWS office and they confirmed that the Budawangs is open for walking. Pigeon house is still closed. Finally!

Yayyy!! Any news on whether ropes have been reinstalled for the top scrambles of The Castle and whether Long Gully campground/car park is open. Fitzroy Falls NPWS were super friendly this morning, but didn't know the answers to these two questions and said Long Gully might still be closed. Haven't been able to connect with anyone yet at Ulladulla NPWS office yet. Any help much appreciated.
Yup long gully is open and heaps of people last week.
Huntsman247

Postby gumnut » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 6:58 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:
gumnut wrote:

Yup long gully is open and heaps of people last week.

Thanks Hunstman247. Your photos are amazing. Ulladulla NPWS Office called me back today and also confirmed that the car park at Long Gully is open but no camping there is permitted given that the toilet there is currently kaput. They didn’t know whether ropes had been reinstalled though, so keen to hear from anyone who’s climbed The Castle recently who could confirm either way.
gumnut
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby crollsurf » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 7:18 pm

Thanks for posting the pics Huntsman. I feel sad seeing those photos but I'm sure it's happened before so will be interesting to revisit over the coming years and see the changes.

crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 11:04 pm

gumnut wrote:
Thanks Hunstman247. Your photos are amazing. Ulladulla NPWS Office called me back today and also confirmed that the car park at Long Gully is open but no camping there is permitted given that the toilet there is currently kaput. They didn’t know whether ropes had been reinstalled though, so keen to hear from anyone who’s climbed The Castle recently who could confirm either way.

Thanks for the kind words. There was rope on shrouded gods. Some genius (note sarcasm) used an elastic rope though... Just what you want for a hand line. least it's easy enough to climb without needing rope.
As for the castle, I cannot say but I did see some people coiling some climbing rope on my way past the castle. They could have left some. I intend to climb the castle as part of another circuit in the area at the end of the month. Can let you know then if no one else knows.
Huntsman247

Postby FionaShedden » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 8:39 am

Great photos Huntsman. Devastating impact in Monolith, such a special spot. Looks like some patches remain here and there which is a plus.

With the loss of toilets and existing trackwork (boards etc) I do wonder whether NPWS will bother rebuilding or maintaining any of the less frequented areas from Monolith to Wog Wog and over to Hidden Valley. There was already a decided lack of focus on these areas, it was just existing tracks that were slowly becoming overgrown. I guess a side effect of the fires might mean these areas become even more difficult to access once the thick scrub returns triggered by fire damage, unless there is a increase in foot traffic. I suspect NP will have to focus limited resources on the rebuilding of Pigeon House, Long Gully campsite, Wog Wog entrance and, and then Castle track and Coyoyo Creek as priorities.

Struggling to get free time from my walking partner to get out there at the moment, unless I decide to head out solo (which i am loathe to do as it can be so remote). Your photo's really help.
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby gumnut » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 10:18 am

Huntsman247 wrote:
gumnut wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. There was rope on shrouded gods. Some genius (note sarcasm) used an elastic rope though... Just what you want for a hand line. least it's easy enough to climb without needing rope.
As for the castle, I cannot say but I did see some people coiling some climbing rope on my way past the castle. They could have left some. I intend to climb the castle as part of another circuit in the area at the end of the month. Can let you know then if no one else knows.

Elastic - gold :-). I'll probably head there at some stage in the coming weeks (although this weekend's weather isn't looking super favourable). My plan is to ascend the Castle as far as I can make it, and then have a poke about in the Monolith Valley. Love to hear your experience of the Castle if you make it there before I do - thanks in advance.
gumnut
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Next

Return to New South Wales & ACT