Walks in NSW

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walks in NSW

Postby Kickinghorse » Wed 27 May, 2020 10:07 am

Thinking that when the borders open etc that we would like to walk and explore a bit more of our own states.
To that end was wondering if you New South Welsh persons could recommend some Premier walks in the Sydney area.eg the Six Foot Track or part of the Great North WalK etc etc?
Phil
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Walks in NSW

Postby johnw » Wed 27 May, 2020 2:54 pm

Kickinghorse wrote:Thinking that when the borders open etc that we would like to walk and explore a bit more of our own states.
To that end was wondering if you New South Welsh persons could recommend some Premier walks in the Sydney area.eg the Six Foot Track or part of the Great North WalK etc etc?
Phil

Our premier keeps saying that the NSW border has never closed. To help with any recommendations are you looking for day walks or multi-day trips (or both)? There are not a lot of classic multi-day options but you can design your own walks in some places. Also what types of experience do you prefer, e.g. although it's mostly away from civilisation and does have some nice scenery, a lot of the Six Foot Track is on management trails and old farm roads. Bear in mind that a lot of the Sydney region has been severely impacted by wildfire. Many areas are likely to remain closed for some time, even after Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.

That said, some places are still open. The Six Foot Track is currently open but Jenolan Caves at the southern end remains closed. As does Kangangra Boyd NP so any remote walks in that area, the Wild Dog Mountains etc are not currently possible. The 46 km Six Foot Track can be done in anything from 1 to 3 days but I'd allow at least one overnight stay. I took 3 days starting from Jenolan Caves but it was an easy trip, camping out 2 nights. The other main standard trips of more than a day are the Coast Track in Royal NP (1 night) and the Great North Walk (can be one or many nights depending on how much of the ~250 km you want to tackle). Much of those can also be broken up into day hikes. The 26 km Coast Track can also be done in a long day. The Sydney to Hawkesbury River part of the GNW is easily broken into day hikes or you could camp one or two nights. Any camping is currently awaiting NPWS to lift restrictions (that have already been announced as lifted by the NSW Govt. effective June 1).

The whole Blue Mountains region is currently problematic due to fire damage but there are some day trip options. I think we will have to wait and see what remote backpack camping options may be available once NPWS update their notices. There could be some possibilities outside national parks.

I can give you a whole host of day trip ideas but best give us an idea of your preferences. Also will you have a car?
Last edited by johnw on Wed 27 May, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby crollsurf » Wed 27 May, 2020 6:03 pm

With a lot of areas closed due to the bushfires ... as johnw mentioned the Royal National Park Coast walk is a gem but gets busy but can be done using public transport.

If you have a car and prepared to drive 6 hours, the Warrumbungles and Kosi NP are up there with the best.

Blue Mountains still worth a visit but Grose Valley in the Blueys and the Budawangs, which are both hot spots will be out of action for some time due to the fires.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kickinghorse » Thu 28 May, 2020 7:25 am

Thanks Johnw and crollsurf for your ideas and feedback. We’ll be using public transport, as with previous walks here and in NZ we’ve hired a car only for it to sit at the trail head car park for a week etc. Re road walking, we have the Heysen trail over here, some great sections but much on roads a fire tracks. In the Uk they have the Freedom to Roam Act which allows walkers to access paths across private land. Right through farm yards in some cases!
Phil
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Warin » Thu 28 May, 2020 7:55 am

Kickinghorse wrote: In the Uk they have the Freedom to Roam Act which allows walkers to access paths across private land. Right through farm yards in some cases!

I think that is not for all of the UK, but only in Scotland.

Last week I found a gentleman trying to walk through my property on the way to a train station, following a phone map ... with no path shown where he was walking. As the bush become fairly impenetrable in the direction he was going I sent him back to a public path...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT