Water sources myall lake national park

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water sources myall lake national park

Postby PriyaS » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 4:27 pm

hey guys, doing a 4 day hike thru myall lake national park. Brambles green, Shelley Beach, neranie. Anyone familiar with freshwater sources along there? Not having much luck elsewhere online. Thanks
PriyaS
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Water sources myall lake national park

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 18 Jul, 2020 6:47 pm

Most natural sources seem brackish at best or if fresh are very dark with tannins and mess with filters. To be honest though, have never really needed to look too far for natural sources of water in the area.
From Brambles Green, you will go past Mungo Brush, there are running taps there with fresh water. Other than that,there are also water tanks at designated campsite drop loos for handwashing, Signs say it is not drinkable, but I just filter it. Boomeri, Johnsons Beach and Shelley Beach will be along your route and all have 'handwashing' tanks.

Of course, I would be cautious with potentially 'high touch' items like taps in these times and would take necessary precautions to keep your water catch as clean as possible and sanitise your hands before and after. Johnsons and Shelley are the less frequented of the places I have mentioned.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Water sources myall lake national park

Postby mandragara » Sun 19 Jul, 2020 10:07 pm

I remember investigating a small pool of water at the end of Broken Sands Firetrail, but I can't recall whether it was fresh or salt water. My guess would be brackish.
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT