Desktop version
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

GPS Help and advice needed.

Thu 23 Jul, 2020 10:14 am

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista. It was purchased in 2008. It still works fine. I also have Oz topo v2.1. Now my question is how do I transfer tracks from the GPS to the computer for viewing? I have the cable but I suspect I don't have the software? The owners manual says I need Mapsource Trip and Waypoint Manager? Can that still be obtained?

These days I notice all the fancy watches with GPS capability can transfer tracks and routes remotely. What is the best way for me to do that with what I have got?

I know this probably sounds pretty basic but to me, well let's just say I'm challenged. :oops:

K.

Re: GPS Help and advice needed.

Thu 23 Jul, 2020 10:57 am

that software is Discontinued

replaced by Basecamp which doesnt support your device

https://support.garmin.com/en-NZ/?faq=O ... jPUxBWrQQ6

Thu 23 Jul, 2020 11:44 am

Thanks. I was afraid you would say that.

K.

Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:55 pm

I use OziExplorer for old GPSs, but EasyGPS would probably work as well. This assumes that your computer will still accept the cable.

You won't be able to do it remotely.

Thu 23 Jul, 2020 1:14 pm

GPS Babel will also download and convert from most GPS's but its a bit nerdier to use

https://www.gpsbabel.org/

Sun 26 Jul, 2020 8:56 pm

IIRC, it's the old 9 pin serial comms cable with a Garmin-specific connector for the Vista?

OziExplorer should work, as already advised, but you made need to much about getting the right COM port.

Mon 27 Jul, 2020 5:14 pm

You can still get USB to RS 232 adapters. I Recently had a need to connect up some old GPS and after updating the adapter I had no issue in WIN10 and multiple programs. My old adaptor didn’t work as the drivers had not been updated to WIN10 and I could Not find an update online.
Post a reply