Kowmung

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Kowmung

Postby Stocky54 » Mon 17 Aug, 2020 6:38 pm

Hope your all staying safe and well...

What is the easiest way into/out of the Kowmung River - in terms of navigation and of course physical effort?
Stocky54
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kowmung

Postby puredingo » Mon 17 Aug, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi mate,

The answer to that question depends on what part of the Kowmung you want to visit?

It’s a pretty long river.
puredingo
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 17 Aug, 2020 9:45 pm

I suppose the "easiest" way is to drive to it? That would be the kowmung fire trail either from kanangra road or the Oberon stock route.

Walking wise the easiest would be from Scott's main range down the cedar ford trail or Dennis Ridge, or from mt armour fire trail down through the church ck flats. But I don't think you can access those atm? In fact I think much of the kowmung is still off limits?

The "best" ways to access it are the various routes from kanangra road or carpark... all the way from uni rover around to approaches over cloudmaker/ti willa.

As mentioned above, it's a long river and there's a whole range of ways of getting to it (when it's open!)

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stocky54 » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 8:54 pm

I have been down to the Kowmung via Roots Ridge but was wondering whether there is an easier way. The whole river is stunningly beautiful - the upper or lower reaches.

Could either of those routes via Scotts Main Range or the Mount Armour Fire Trail be done as a long day walk?

Thanks in advance...
Stocky54
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 9:22 pm

Stocky54 wrote:Could either of those routes via Scotts Main Range or the Mount Armour Fire Trail be done as a long day?.

Mt Armour maybe if you'd parked near colong? Re the two smr routes.... doubtful you could do them return in a day, but maybe the route down to the christys Junction via bulga cone, ex yerranderie (park at the tonali gate), could be done return in a day. I haven't done that one though, and like I said it's all a bit of a moot point at the moment with park closures and the like. I think yerranderie is still closed?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Wed 19 Aug, 2020 4:00 am

You can visit the top end of Morong Deep as a straightforward day trip, and mess about on some interesting rocks, but if you want the typical Kowmung "feel" you need to be further downstream, e.g. Roots/Hughes Ridges.

I once took a group on a day trip to Morong Deep starting and ending in Sydney, but in retrospect that was ridiculous due to the 4am start, late return, driving fatigue, and time pressure while on the river.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Xplora » Wed 19 Aug, 2020 10:13 am

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:The "best" ways to access it are the various routes from kanangra road or carpark... all the way from uni rover around to approaches over cloudmaker/ti willa.

I agree both of these are good. The road down to the Kowmung is steep and I would not be doing it in wet weather without good tyres and low range. There is a section of clay not far from the river which will be difficult to get back up when wet. I haven't done the river crossing for some time but I have done it enough to say it would not be good in high water. The walk in campsite is also very nice. Uni Rover is a great walk but not a day trip. Some navigation is required. Other access can be through the Wild Dogs from Carlon's farm and across the Cox's or through the bushwalker's corridor up to Scotts. Gingra is pretty easy from the plateau.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Snooze » Wed 19 Aug, 2020 3:58 pm

"The walk in campsite is also very nice."

A couple of years ago we had an enjoyable car-camping stay at the Boyd River camping ground, which was our base for a two pleasant daywalks (Cottage Rock and Molong Falls).

Afterwards, in a 4wd we took the scenic route home to Sydney via Dingo Dell, crossing the Kowmung. On the near side of the crossing was a pleasant clearing on the river. A broken sign there said “Day use only. No camping”. This sign appeared to have been ripped out from its original location, and I guessed chucked in the bush. When we there someone appeared to have somewhat restored the sign by leaning it upright against a tree.

My plan was to park the car at the other side of the crossing and have a little wander to the “walk-in campsite” mentioned on the NP&WS website (which was from memory just a 500 metre distance). The one review I’d ever read of this campsite complained there wasn’t even enough room there to put up a tent so I was curious. However after we crossed we noticed a vehicle parked on the other bank and two guys standing there. I can’t remember what it was, but there was something about the look of those two guys and maybe the look of their vehicle, but based on a gut feeling I decided it might be safest not to even exit our own car, let along walk away from it, so I never did get to see that particular campsite. :cry:
Snooze
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Thu 20 Aug, 2020 10:16 am

It was also a great drive from Kanangra to Wombeyan caves via Dingo Dell but the road has since been closed because of idiots doing the wrong thing. You can still get out to Mt. Werong, Batsh camp and Yerranderie that way with some good views back to the falls as you climb out of Dingo Dell. Uni Rover to Batsh camp is also a great walk but you need someone to pick you up. The Kowmung crossing can also be deep.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby rcaffin » Thu 20 Aug, 2020 7:41 pm

I would like to think that the Kowmung is NOT accessible to a day walk. Sorry about that.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin

Return to New South Wales & ACT