Ettrema Deception Creek Canyon

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ettrema Deception Creek Canyon

Postby mirv2535 » Mon 24 Aug, 2020 10:00 pm

Looking at hiking the lower Ettrema from down near the junction with Yalwal Creek up to Deception Canyon area. I haven't seen much written about the lower reaches but Deception Canyon looks interesting with a large waterfall in the upper reaches of the canyon. Any info on the terrain would be appreciated, and areas to camp.There is also Deception Pass on the Southern arm of the canyon but the satellite image makes it look like sheer cliffs, is it doable, does it need ropes? Thanks
mirv2535
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Ettrema Deception Creek Canyon

Postby melinda » Thu 27 Aug, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi mirv2535, can't give you info on Deception Creek, but now is the moment to be exploring when the impenetrable scrub of this area has been so thoroughly incinerated. I have camped down at the junction of Ettrema and Yalwal Creeks, nice sandy beach, great swimming holes! To any one who loves Ettrema Gorge, the lower reaches aren't as impressive as the upper, but heh your plan is adventurous and I'm sure you'll have fun. Not a lot of height in this area but would have thought a rope or climbing tape would come in handy! :) PS That little creek on the far side of the pool is Ettrema flowing into Yalwal! This pre-fire photo was taken about a year ago
Junction of Yalwal & Ettrema Creeks (2764x1554).JPG
Junction of Ettrema & Yalwal Creek
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby mirv2535 » Sun 06 Sep, 2020 9:41 am

Thanks Melinda we were down near the Yalwal Ettrema junction last week and water levels were still a bit high to cross hopefully we will get down there in next few weeks with the warmer weather
mirv2535
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby melinda » Sun 06 Sep, 2020 10:29 am

Yeap, Yalwal is all about the creek. More about wading than walking. Let us know how you go with Deception Creek mirv2535. Would be very interested to know if much of the old track on Drovers Ridge is still negotiable.
melinda

Postby puredingo » Sun 06 Sep, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi Melinda, I was on the Drovers about a month ago. It’s more negotiable than ever since the fires, great walking.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby melinda » Mon 07 Sep, 2020 7:57 am

Thanks puredingo, certainly the time to be out there! :)
melinda

Postby mirv2535 » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 8:36 am

just did a quick day walk up Ettrema as fas as Colley CReek and wandered up Colley Creek for a while. Stunning country and the lower Ettrema is such easy and pleasant walking. The damage from the recent floods was extensive. Looking forward to check out Drovers as well
mirv2535
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby KateRock » Wed 20 Mar, 2024 1:43 am

Sounds like such a wonderful trip. Love exploring side creeks and canyons. How is access to yalwal creek these days (near the shoalhaven). I read somewhere that yalwal creek road access is blocked by private property. I found a faint trail on google to the west of the road but would love any info on access now we have had a few years of regrowth. How are the roads in this area. Could my crappy 2wd make it out there. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_7695.jpeg
KateRock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to New South Wales & ACT