Doctor Dark's Cave

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Doctor Dark's Cave

Postby GregG » Sun 30 Aug, 2020 6:49 pm

I wrote a report today and had trouble posting it but fortunately I took a screen shot in case something went wrong and to save me having to re-type it on my smart phone. So I have attached the screenshot. I hope it is a) legible, and b) interesting.
Regards
Greg
Attachments
Screenshot_20200830-155931_Samsung Internet.jpg
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Re: Doctor Dark's Cave

Postby GregG » Sun 30 Aug, 2020 6:54 pm

Here's a picture of the kitchen area.
Attachments
20200829_122401_resized_1.jpg
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby johnw » Sun 30 Aug, 2020 9:25 pm

Nice report Greg. I've been there a couple of times but probably 2 or 3 years since last visit.
The way in was still fairly obscure when I last visited.
I find it very disturbing if the Instagram crowd have discovered it. I'm sure Eric and Eleanor Dark would turn in their graves.
Thankfully it sounds like all is well, for now. But many locations have become problematic in their wake.
I'm thinking of places like the Figure of 8 Pools and Wedding Cake Rock in RNP among others.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mandragara » Sun 06 Sep, 2020 12:23 pm

I attribute this sort of stuff to the boom in popularity of apps like Alltrails. Both a blessing and a curse.

Both times I've encountered underprepared or lost parties this year were following Alltrails. One very confused couple at Gladstone Pass, another lost group of 5 trying to get to the Grose river via the Devils Wilderness.
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Mon 07 Sep, 2020 12:39 am

It's not too hard to discover these days. The track to the cave (admittedly rather incorrectly marked towards the end) now appears on the topo map.

It's hardly a surprise that a short, easy to follow, accessible, and now published track would would be getting a lot of action, especially with COVID travel restrictions increasing the appeal of easy bushwalks.

cave.jpg
cave.jpg (96.79 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby Xplora » Mon 07 Sep, 2020 7:30 am

mandragara wrote:I attribute this sort of stuff to the boom in popularity of apps like Alltrails. Both a blessing and a curse.

Both times I've encountered underprepared or lost parties this year were following Alltrails. One very confused couple at Gladstone Pass, another lost group of 5 trying to get to the Grose river via the Devils Wilderness.

Is there a disclaimer on the site? Follow these tracks at your own risk. We are not responsible for the accuracy of information.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby jrg » Mon 07 Sep, 2020 11:59 am

FatCanyoner wrote:It's not too hard to discover these days. The track to the cave (admittedly rather incorrectly marked towards the end) now appears on the topo map.

It's even on Google Maps now.

[edit: removed hyperlink which will make it easier to find than it should be].
jrg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mandragara » Thu 10 Sep, 2020 11:25 pm

Xplora wrote:
mandragara wrote:I attribute this sort of stuff to the boom in popularity of apps like Alltrails. Both a blessing and a curse.

Is there a disclaimer on the site? Follow these tracks at your own risk. We are not responsible for the accuracy of information.

Yes, there's a disclaimer about Alltrails not being responsible, usual deal. But people just see a trail and their pin on the map and blindly follow it.

This was the section that caused trouble near the Grose. 1) The track is wrong and the actual track meanders a lot more (see Keats' book on the lower Grose), 2) The trail is graded as 'moderate', it is not a moderate walk, it is steep and loose, with mild exposure in places. Any research outside of Alltrails would have revealed that.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (578.2 KiB) Viewed 7160 times
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 11 Sep, 2020 7:07 am

mandragara wrote:Yes, there's a disclaimer about Alltrails not being responsible, usual deal. But people just see a trail and their pin on the map and blindly follow it.

This was the section that caused trouble near the Grose. 1) The track is wrong and the actual track meanders a lot more (see Keats' book on the lower Grose), 2) The trail is graded as 'moderate', it is not a moderate walk, it is steep and loose, with mild exposure in places. Any research outside of Alltrails would have revealed that.

Capture.PNG

I know that area and have been down there a few times. Didn't do the loop though but continued down the Grose or headed upstream to the Wilderness. Rough country and slow going. So I take it they followed the red line and not the proper track. I remember there used to be an old BBQ plate at the river. Tracks like these should never be posted. I actually don't post any of my trips anywhere for the same reason. People with no idea should not have access to this information. Books are still a better way of putting out that sort of stuff as these people tend not to want to fork out money for it but still problematic for those wanna-be's.

I remember going to Dr. Darks cave when there was no information available online about it and very little in books. It is the world we live in and I suppose it will have its own form of natural selection as much as we try to stop it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Return to New South Wales & ACT